What's new

Off the bike !

chazzer

Speeding Up
Nov 23, 2006
I am off the bike for a couple of months. Had my yearly medical and received much praise for losing over 10kgs :)

Then they told me the reason and it was not all due to the bike and the mountains ! I have an overactive thyroid hence an accelerated metabolism hence weight loss ! Not recommended though as I also have a bad case of the shakes and thunderous heart palpitations !!

Anyway it is apparently all treatable with medicine and I am now in a routine of two weekly blood tests whilst they get the dosage right.

I asked about exercise and cycling and the doctor said no problem. Then I said how about Shibuya to Yamanakako and back. He looked at me solemnly and raised one eyebrow as if to say - you are completely barking mad - before uttering a single word - "dame !".

So I don`t know when I will be back but hopefully later in the summer. In the meantime enjoy the rides and take care everyone:eek:uch:

Sorry to here about that Charles.

Don't know much about what you have, but does it mean you'll be on meds for the rest of your life??

Will you be able to get back into full cycling training again oneday?

fluro

I am off the bike for a couple of months. Had my yearly medical and received much praise for losing over 10kgs :)

Then they told me the reason and it was not all due to the bike and the mountains ! I have an overactive thyroid hence an accelerated metabolism hence weight loss ! Not recommended though as I also have a bad case of the shakes and thunderous heart palpitations !!

Anyway it is apparently all treatable with medicine and I am now in a routine of two weekly blood tests whilst they get the dosage right.

I asked about exercise and cycling and the doctor said no problem. Then I said how about Shibuya to Yamanakako and back. He looked at me solemnly and raised one eyebrow as if to say - you are completely barking mad - before uttering a single word - "dame !".

So I don`t know when I will be back but hopefully later in the summer. In the meantime enjoy the rides and take care everyone:eek:uch:

Sorry to hear that. You look after yourself now and I am sure you will be fine soon. I mean, when did doctors start to complain about moderate exercise? Anyway, you will be back in the saddle soon.

take care

Ash

Cycling can be easier than walking so don't get off completely. Doctors always say 'NO' to cover their own arse....

Just go easy and do shorter rides till you think you're fine to do a bit more...

Ditto

Ouch, thyroids and back. Hope you're doing well.

BTW, this probably has little in common to your condition, but a friend of mine had a thyroid condition for a period of 2 years. In his case, he was able to continue riding, just had to keep the heart rate/bpms below 155 and stay on meds. Might be worth a question to the docs.

Cycling can be easier than walking so don't get off completely. Doctors always say 'NO' to cover their own arse....

Just go easy and do shorter rides till you think you're fine to do a bit more...

Yep, I absolutely agree with Pete, take the pills and do easy rides, dont push it.

take it easy!

Ash

English understatment . . .

The doctor tells you that you have massive heart palpitations and you inquire if the rides from Shibuya to Yamanakako are OK! Now that is dry . . .

Charles, I am very sorry to hear about your medical condition. At least your sense of humor is firmly intact!

Follow your heart rate monitor religiously,

Cheers,

Philip

Bummer

Sorry to hear that Charles.
I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to riding with you again after you're better.

AW.

Don't give up biking completely and when/if you want those 10kgs back look me up. I think I got them!. Also don't forget the second opinion option medically as well as Edogawakikkoman said Docs can be too conservative sometimes. Take care!

Back
Top Bottom