What's new

Tech Inner tube stuck in clinchers

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
During a clincher tire swap I found the inner tube to be stuck inside the tire, as if it was glued in. It took a bit of effort to separate the two but no noticeable damage to the inner tube or the tire. I re-used the inner tube and everything appears to be fine. The tire and inner tube combination has never been changed, ridden for over a year for about 6,000 km. The reason for the change was the ratty appearance the tire had, structurally it was sound.

Is inner tube stuck inside normal?

I've observed similar before... I think it might be pro-shop setup? The bicycle setup by Positivo had this. The rear wheel set up by GS Astuto had this. And now the front also from GS Astuto. Even after inner tube swaps, the "stuck in" behavior continues. However, four months ago (winter), I swapped the rear tire and just recently swapped out because of wear. No stickiness was observed. Perhaps this is heat related?

Is inner tube stuck inside normal?
I see it frequently, too. Less of a problem with the Continental Gatorskins that I mostly use now versus Panaracer tyres. Can be avoided completely by dusting the tube with talc before fitting, making for smoother changes.

Riding in the rain or high-humidity can cause this. No a big deal.

As HFM mentions, talc will solve this issue.

Back
Top Bottom