What's new

Ride Nov. 22 or 23, Chiba dirt, gravel, 林道s and autumn leaves

We will have fun regardless! That's the point of the whole ride, so we will make it happen.

My only questions at this point are distance between water stops (if there are any) and also Lunch.
Will we pack and bring with us or are there a convenient options for grub?

Just need to figure out my setup. Water bottles or camelbak type stuff.

I edited the original route to make it a bit bumpier since no one with skinny tires will be joining us. It's a little shorter but will probably take just as long.

We will have fun regardless! That's the point of the whole ride, so we will make it happen.

My only questions at this point are distance between water stops (if there are any) and also Lunch.
Will we pack and bring with us or are there a convenient options for grub?

Just need to figure out my setup. Water bottles or camelbak type stuff.

There is a 7-11 at km4 and 87. That's pretty much it. I think there are a few vending machines scattered about, but not many.
I'm probably going to bring a large front handlebar bag stuffed with food. I can probably fit enough for all three of us in there.

Have my water situation sorted. I also am able to pack a decent size bag of granola to snack on (enough to share).
Still trying to figure out what to bring for lunch assuming we might be in the middle of nowhere around that time.

Took it for a test spin - heavy on the climbs but handles well still. So not too bad.
And I figure as the water level goes down, the bike will get lighter while my legs get weaker.

10255092_10152810440442808_488592081885632697_o.jpg

Having never ridden this route you could say - what are you talking about but at marker 85kms - isn't that a town with 7 elevens etc? A half decent breakfast before and 1 litre of fluids (otherwise you will be peeing like a fish) should easily get you to the town at this time of year.

Last edited:
Chris, I am hoping so, and if we were road riding, I would be confident in that.
I just drink a bit more than everyone I ride with and I never want to be the reason for an extra stop - so I usually run 2 bottles on my road bike regardless.
I think the water bottles on the fork will be a last second decision. I prefer to not have the weight on the forks, but I also prefer to err on the side of too much rather than not enough.

If this was summer time, I would be freaking out over water. :)

Weather is looking good tomorrow. The dirt stretches might be a little mushy due to yesterday's rain, but that'll just add an extra layer of fun.
Let me know when you're close. I'll be waiting outside my apartment.

Well that was painful! Next time I'll try to keep it a bit shorter.
Thanks for the company guys!

I have some nice pictures I'll post later.

Stephen's quick edit.

Great video, but he forgot to put in the part where we hike up the mountain in the dark! :(

I've already planned part II starting at the ferry. More dirt, fewer miles. Should be able to finish before the sun goes down.

I'm off to the USA until Jan. 2, but I might be up for a jet lag fueled romp on the fourth if you can make that work. I'm pretty busy the rest of January, but I might have a few free Sundays if the fourth doesn't work.

The RWGPS map above is a good ride but requires Herculean efforts to finish before the sun goes down due to
1) endless 20% inclines, many of which are unpaved
and
2) the tilt of the earth's axis as it relates to the sun this time of year.

Last time we finished well after sundown. Another option is to start and finish at the Kanaya ferry. The Sodegaura ride is about 30% off-road. The Kanaya ride is just about half off-road and short enough to easily finish before dark. I'm down for doing either. There are a couple roads I haven't ridden yet on the Kanaya ride, so that one may involve a bit of getting lost.

Last edited:
My schedule got settled and I'll already return to Kanagawa on the 4th, so unfortunately no go. But thanks for the routing info, I want to try it before I leave, but depends on the weather as well. I run wide slicks.

I've done it on slicks. It shouldn't be a problem unless it's rained a lot in the last week.
Kilometers 5 to 40, 51 to 56, and 80 to 86 in the last map I posted are the best off-road bits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom