What's new

The China Connection - sourcing, discussing and group ordering Chinese/Taiwanese frames/wheels/etc

I was surprised how comfy mine was after I fitted it. I expected to be binning it after one ride.

Have you ridden a decent distance on a solid carbon saddle? You would be quite surprised at how comfy they actually are. After my bike developed a creak, I switched back to my padded fizik saddle and it wasn't half as comfy as my solid carbon. The squeak wasn't coming from the saddle as it turns out. Almost all of my longer rides last year were done on the carbon.

Have you ridden a decent distance on a solid carbon saddle?
Yes I tried one and wasn't lucky enough to find one that suited my nether regions. Can you post a link to the one you're using, it would be interesting to see which ones people are having success with.

leicaman and theBlob have the same design saddle. It's really common on ebay/alibaba/aliexpress with all sorts of branding and finishes and actually curves up at the back like this.
I'm using this design that's totally flat. Suits me better than the other one.
There are a few other designs out there through various resellers on ebay/alibaba/aliexpress with various branding and pricing.

They all look very SLR-ey. I've got a recovered SLR going on the stealth bike, but I might go for one of these carbon arse hatchets later on just because I like the minimalism. I want my bike to look as unfriendly as possible, just to contrast with my warm, cuddly personality.

The Chinese saddles all seem to be really stiff with almost no give. Good quality chamois padding is a must and shorter rides to begin with so you can brake in your bum. Also, rail clamps on some seatposts aren't really designed for carbon rails and may have sharp pressure points. The cradle and yoke parts can sometimes be swapped out though for more carbon-friendly stuff.

No numbness, or sores but it isn't summer. I have, however, been getting a sore back of late, and this may be because of the saddle, frame conbo (Scott Foil team issue)
I wonder if the constant small vibrations are getting to my back that weren't on my Aliente.

Anyway I much prefer the 2000Y carbon job to the 20,000Y fizik. Lighter looks better and is more comfy!

Thanks for the links, they'll come in handy for my build, how is your experience riding long distance with these saddles? Any numbness or saddlesores? Do you have any tips/tricks for comfort?

This one looks tempting:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full...cle-saddle-carbon-bow-cushion/1821491063.html

Thanks for the links, they'll come in handy for my build, how is your experience riding long distance with these saddles? Any numbness or saddlesores? Do you have any tips/tricks for comfort?

This one looks tempting:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full...cle-saddle-carbon-bow-cushion/1821491063.html
I got my bike in Feb or March , changed from the fizik to the carbon in around April or May and I've done a reasonable amount of riding on it, taking in plenty of +200km rides and also "The Crazy ride" in the middle of summer. I've never had any numbness or soreness in any of that time. I do only wear Rapha bibs on my longer rides but I do lots of 40km rides on weekday mornings, where I wear crappy cheapo DHB bibs. With the DHB bibs on, the carbon is fine for 40km rides.

That's a snazzy find indeed! They're meant to have about 1 inch of travel and should take the edge off some of the nastier bumps. Too bad it won't fit on my frame.

I just got my handlebar stem in the mail. Not too bad for $13 delivered. Of course that logo is gonna have to go.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...e-Stem-bicycle-part-31-8-70mm/1284588689.html
IMG_0807.JPG

Okay, I knew I'd make a mistake sooner or later. what rules are we talking about?

Stems should be hilariously long, with a length of at least 110mm. Anything less is completely unacceptable.

No worries! If you want to talk about breaking rules you should see what I use to keep my feet warm in winter. 700 yen from your friendly local Home Center, and fits snuggly inside my bike shoes:)
IMG_0808.JPG

There are no rules about them, because no one has ever considered what you ar doing as any kind of option before. You are breaking new ground in cycling couture.

Get some Rapha stickers for them and you can own the company.

Guys, not to rain on your parade, but just be careful with the parts that you are using.

Are there suppliers where you can score some awesome deals on safe product? YES.
Are there suppliers/vendors that are shady and make parts not to spec of offload parts that don't pass QC? YES

I work in the industry, and have been involved with shutting down a few online retailers selling counterfeit product (unfortunately its like whack-a-mole...more pop up all the time) Mostly seat posts, stems, cages, etc that was being produced in China and shipped to JP and elsewhere with a major brand's logo on them. Some of the counterfeit items were pretty close cosmetically to the real thing, but failed strength tests for both max load and crush resistance and had obviously substandard parts. When I mean failed, I mean failed miserably, not even close to standard. Not sure if you want to be riding a seatpost or stem thats prone to failure or has not passed any kind of QC testing.

There is good/cheap product out there, but just be careful with what you are getting into.

That said, carry on...

@Trek DJ

I think you should provide more detail such as names, dates, sellers, brands, etc. on what is reliable and not reliable according to your first-hand experiences or your post could be mistaken for falling under the following (quoting from the first post in this thread)

Remember - this thread is a resource. If you want to comment on things with which you have first-hand experience, go ahead. If you want to be a fearmonger or grumble about intellectual property etc, please leave it out of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom