What's new

Hello from deepest, darkest Fukuoka

Winston Leg-Thigh

Maximum Pace
Mar 31, 2015
Hello there,

Winston Leg-Thigh signing in from the arse-end of Fukuoka. Not sure I'll ever make it up Tokyo way on my bike but I'm hoping to pick your brains about bike related matters in the near future.

Cheers

WTL

Have you spent any time reading the threads? Perhaps you give too much credit.....
And welcome!

Cheers! I doubt there's anyone on here who knows less about bikes than me.

I'm not sure where that is, can you clarify?

There are quite a few possibilities, but I'm in Miyako-machi. Lots of good roads where you're more likely to meet a deer or a boar than a car (or another cyclist).

I sometimes make it over to Miyako-machi. Yes, some nice quiet roads around there.

Will do. BTW, I noticed that someone has created a few new segments down that way in English.

I sometimes make it down there on Fridays, if that is convenient. Thanks for making the segments. It helps me find some new roads to ride on.

No Fridays off for me until August, unfortunately.
Going to try out a couple of new (for me) roads in the next couple of weeks so hopefully there'll be some new segments.

Hello from the UK. As part of my 7th trip to Japan (third with bike) I will be in Fukuoka for 5 days this autumn. While there weather permitting I hope to get out for a couple of rides. I will have a Jr pass so it doesnt really matter to me if they not that close to Fukuoka. I am grateful for anything you put on strava as it helps plan routes.

Lots of good riding around Fukuoka city and prefecture. If you like climbing the roads around Hikosan in the southeast of the prefecture are very nice, and also the roads to the south of Fukuoka city along the border with Saga. All the major climbs have segments, usually in Japanese though. Let me know nearer the time you get here and I might be able to show you some of the them. It's a bit further away, but Aso is a fantastic place to cycle, Oita is almost as good too.

I will do, I am not the worlds greatest climber but hopefully by then I should have lost some weight. One of my early ideas is to ride from Kumamoto to Oita. I like the fact there is a train line so I can bail if necessary. Hikosan looks a bit erm steep. According to strava there is a bit by the Takasumi shrine that is 44% :)

Haha. It's not 44%.Have ridden that road many times. The road in front of that shrine is actually flat. The steepest part is 9.5% for 5.2km that ends just to the east of the shrine. The road from the west (Hikosan station side) is less steep - 11.4 km @ 5.4%.

Hikosan looks a bit erm steep. According to strava there is a bit by the Takasumi shrine that is 44% :)

I've only been up via route 496 and 500 and it was okay (even for a novice like me) and autumn would be a great time to do it. At that time of year the area around Yabake (just into Oita) is really nice and not too far from Hikosan.

Yes, I rode the 496 and 500 a few times last autumn. Best time of the year for those roads. Lovely colours, almost no traffic. Average gradients 5-6%, maxing out at 9-10% IIRC.

Hi, I will be moving to Fukuoka at the end of Nov. I know it's the wrong time of year, but if you still get out on the bike through the winter I would appreciate being able to join in on a few rides? If I can keep up that is!

Whereabouts in Fukuoka are you going to be? I'll be out all winter over Yukuhashi way (usually Saturday / Sunday 5.30ish).

Initially I'll be moving close to Fukuoka city, which I notice is the opposite side of Fukuoka to you. Is it feasible to possibly meet halfway for rides or is that too bigger distance?

Back
Top Bottom