What's new

In the news...

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/t...-crits-worlds-and-the-farce-that-is-the-iaaf/

Interesting article (regardless of who actually wrote it, and whether they are actually a secret pro, or not).

The part about the post-Tour Criteriums proves everything we said about the Saitama Criterium to be absolutely right.

"If you don't know much about the post-Tour crits, let me explain. For the week or two after the Tour towns and cities across Europe all organise invitational criteriums, showcasing many of the guys that have competed in the Grand Boucle. The bunch at these events isn't just made up of professionals though; strong amateurs are invited from local clubs to race with us. There are also local pros that may not have raced the Tour.

The result is almost always fixed before we roll out. For instance, you'll see guys like Chris Froome outsprinting Peter Sagan for a win — something that would never happen in real life. But as the organisers want a spectacle and it's their cash paying for the big names to attend, that is what you will often see. The thing is, the amateurs can often make it tough for us to accomplish the result we're supposed to.

What usually happens is that the organisers gather everyone together and explain how they want it to pan out. I'm sure the amateurs instantly forget this or just aren't told as the races are full-gas from the gun. In the excitement the amateurs will turn the heat up which is understandable — it's their chance to shine alongside the guys they look up to.

I can admit I did it twice myself when I raced a couple of post-Tour crits as an amateur, back in the days when I raced for a French development team. It makes for solid work for those of us who have three weeks in the legs … that and usually a skin full of beer. Doing this day after day for up to a week is a perfect way to earn really good money but also ruin yourself.

You'll get guys who'll spend Sunday night after the Tour out on the town getting seriously drunk, before heading to a post-Tour crit the next day with a hangover. It's then a case of rinse and repeat for a week.

What you want to know though is how much we make. A few years ago I knew of guys who were able to get €20,000 to start a race if they managed to take a jersey at the Tour. Those prices have gone up though — Peter Sagan was asking for around €30,000 this year and Chris Froome was getting as much as €50,000. Not bad for turning up, turning over the legs and signing some autographs."

LOLz.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/t...-crits-worlds-and-the-farce-that-is-the-iaaf/

. . . The result is almost always fixed before we roll out. . . .

This is just what I previously read about such races in, um, er, I forget which book: maybe Paul Kimmage's Rough Ride, maybe Tim Hilton's One more kilometre and we're in the showers.

Not very relevantly (though there is a race involved), if I were in or near Shūnan (Yamaguchi-ken), I'd certainly pay a visit to this cromulent exhibition.

The UCI is retesting samples in light of new scientific developments. Great idea!

Busted

bettiniphoto_0154717_1_full_670.jpg

I just found that I took a photo of him.
image.jpg

Now that's news!

Last edited:
It is even sadder to hear the guy saying if everyone does that's ok. If a crash happened that is just unlucky to them, see any motor sport where crash have a clear effect, sometimes the driver is just unlucky.

Now why they would test a 3 years old sample? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I Don't think they tested "a" three year old sample I think they tested all the three year old samples because they have the ability to test for other substances that they weren't able to pick up previously.
In three years from now they'll probably retest some of the samples taken at races being held now.
Personally, I think it works as a great deterrent. Even if it's certainly possible to get away with it now you know it might not be in the future. There was a time they couldn't test for EPO and many did it for that reason.

Not that I rub sand in my vag about it.

Reactions: TCC
I Don't think they tested "a" three year old sample I think they tested all the three year old samples because they have the ability to test for other substances that they weren't able to pick up previously.
In three years from now they'll probably retest some of the samples taken at races being held now.
Personally, I think it works as a great deterrent. Even if it's certainly possible to get away with it now you know it might not be in the future. There was a time they couldn't test for EPO and many did it for that reason.

Not that I rub sand in my vag about it.

Exactly. It is like when DNA testing first came in, and loads of old cases were re-opened and new suspects found, etc.

They still haven't caught me though. And they never will.

Hahaha sure make sense. Do they check the bikes also? With all the new allegation of bike modifications would be good to check bike as they do with the cars on F1

Wasn't moving pictures on the goggle box so it doesn't count. Everyone knows this.

It's a beautiful sport.

The Japanese national team showing how it's really done during the Olympic test race in Rio, class!

Tinkoffsax lining up for litigation.... Good on them, How about they ban cars altogether and have on a certain number of bikes for race coverage. They could start doing it all with drones!
It would certainly increase the spectacle, reduce the cheating when it comes to drafting and holding onto cars, that is just fucking lame. And make it more interesting. Team mates have to carry spares and food etc for the big guns. Kind of like sumo where the new sumo guys have to wipe the asses of the sempai.

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/open-letter-related-accident-involving-peter-sagan-la-vuelta/

This should really be in the "NOT in the news section". But with a few fellas heading up to Tochigi I thought I might post it. All done by locals armed with geiger counters. Up to date radiation action...

http://safecast.org/tilemap/?y=36.586&x=139.695&z=9

Interestingly my mate has a really good one and takes it with him everywhere, he sees a great variation in readings in and around Tokyo. Particularly after they burn waste from Fukushima in the Tokyo incinerators occasionally. (Apparently this is done, I haven't heard about it before...)

Back
Top Bottom