What's new

New in the Waseda Area

koya_hijiri

Maximum Pace
Jan 30, 2015
Hi all,

Moving to the Waseda area in just under a week to spend a couple of years doing dissertation research. This'll be year #4 in Japan for me, but the first time with a serious road bike in tow.

I've been living in NYC so I know the importance of getting out of the city, especially if you suffer from delusions of climbing grandeur like me. That said, I do want to emphasize delusions, especially since I gather there are some really strong riders hanging around here.

Anyway, I've been stalking the forum to see what the regular rides/riders are like, and I thought I'd drop a line. Anyone live near or regularly ride by Waseda?

Hi Koya
I also recently came Tokyo, from Canada.
I was in Kamata for few weeks and now moved to somewhere between Shinjuku and Yotsuya where is considerably close to Waseta area.
I have no idea of where to bike...
Let me know if you find any good routes!
I just tried to go Tama river... wasn't bad but a lot of stop lights.

Hey there. Yeah I think we'll be pretty close. From the little bit of mapping I've been doing it looks like the Arakawa could be easiest for us, but I'm prepared to be corrected on this by other posters here, or by my own trial and error once I get there. I'll give you a shout as soon as I'm settled in and maybe we can do some recon?

Also hoping that good ol' US-->JPN jetlag will have me awake for some of these absurdly early rides you guys seem to enjoy :)

@Kunio & @koya_hijiri , hi. I also live in Yotsuya ( near Shinjyuku Gyoen ) and sometimes train on the Arakawa.
It will be great opportunity if we can ride together.

Koya
Let me hear once you settle!

Bluebell
My house is like 500m away from Shinjuku Gyoen to the north. Very very close, I guess.
How do you usually go to Arakawa?
I want to know good way to reach there.

@Kunio , I usually ride up Meiji-dori and get to Kohokubashi (江北橋) on the Arakawa. 12km from Shinjyuku Gyoen.
It's easy to go with this route in the morning, but if you think to start day time ( after 9 am ), I do not recommend this one, due to traffic. Maybe, you should get on train and ride around Takao, Okutama, etc...

Thanks @Kunio and @Bluebell for the local knowledge. From reading the forum it's easier to picture those grand 150km+ rides off into the mountains--while I'm very excited for them--than it is to picture what will become my daily 50km loop or whatever.

I used to live in Koenji just a few kms west of there, I usually headed north to the arakawa, or west into the mountains. tons and tons of nice rides in west tokyo and chichibu saitama.

I wish I can try Arakawa but it's raining so frequently these days... omg

Thanks @tigerkamen. Love Koenji. Looking forward to exploring, and not just on the bike.

@Kunio I've been checking the weather occasionally and dear god it looks like you guys have had it rougher than usual. Here's to some nice crisp fall weather beginning soon. This weekend looks nice, too.

Flying over tonight [IWannaBeSedated.mp3] so now I just need to find a good shop in my hood to help me put my baby back together (since I'm lacking tools/stand), and then I'll be ready to ride!

Back
Top Bottom