What's new

Official Ride Official TCC King of the Mountains Competition

I did consider joining you Tom for the ride down, but I'm sure it would wreck me. I'll be taking the train down instead. :)

See you all tomorrow!

See you tomorrow Clay! Should you change your mind, meet us at Koremasa Bridge between 5:45~6:00 for a nice 4-man train.

I'll riding from Setagaya up the Tamagawa to Musashiitsukaichi to meet Thomas and Phil. From there we'll head to the top of the Matsuhime climb via Okutama. From home this will be 10 km shorter than the proper group ride from Shin-Matsuda (and not as steep!), but I'll still start a few hours earlier. This will be my first Tomin no Mori ride without a backpack, rain gear or jeans. I'll see you all tomorrow afternoon at the top of Matsuhime. Looking forward to taking pictures! :)

just to be clear are we meeting at the south exit of the station?

South exit is preferable - it is not crowded. But I am sure many will go north.. we'll meet somehow

Thanks for the ride today! Unfortunately I got a flat tire about 50m after the start and rode for a bit on the flat. I stopped to fix it taking too much time and the goin through the construction area on the first climb I got a second flat. After that was repaired I made it as far as otsuki. Mostly alone but I passed Brian on mikuni toge. On the descent from tsuru my sprained ankle was really acting up and sent pain through my body on every bump. I ended up bailing at otsuki because of my ankle and the fact that I was most like likely 45 minutes or an hour behind the peleton.

Thanks for th organization Sergei, next year I will make sure to finish. It was nice to meet everyone and atleast start with the biggest TCC ride I have been on.

Had a nice ride up to Otsuki, gave Matsuhime a try (not all the way unfortunately), enjoyed the descend, and saw the contenders off to the race.

This was my first ride to the beautiful Okutama area.
Would love to return anytime, if I could sort out a decent route to get there.

Jonathan, thanks for all the helps and tips you've provide me the past two months! Wishing you a safe trip home back to...Dubai?

Sharing some photos in the gallery...

Thanks Surgei. Great day. Thanks to Tom to for leading Stefano and I out to the starting point too.

I needed more than a few minutes rest after the second climb and Jose was kind enough to wait for me and ensure we made it to the race start point. Didn't get there until about 30 minutes past the cut off and then went back from there.

How did the race end up? Looking forward to the results, photos and stories.
Might sleep soon though. I am spent.

Great ride today! I sit before my PC now totally spent! A big thank you to Sergei, Thomas and Chikako. If I counted correctly we had 19 people start at Shin-Matsuda with 12 going the full distance. I have the distinguished honor of being the last person to successfully complete the full course. My Matsuhime time was 1h 24min 51sec, which given the abuse I'd taken up to that point, I was pretty happy with. :D

My RWGPS Data.

As they say - "it's not the route which makes a good race, but the racers themselves". I think this saying is very suitable to today's ride. Thanks for everyone for showing up today! Great people came to the ride, some from quite distant places - huge thank you, guys and girls!

I am so very tired at the moment I can't think straight, but here are some short results at least..

1st place - Clay
2nd place - Aron B
3rd place - Deej

is this correct?

I'll discuss with Thomas and we'll come up with some sort of forum-based awards soon for you.

I will attach a more or less full list of participants later, as well as the list of "finishers" - those who completed the course. You gentlemen are true TCC mountain goats! Which (again after discussion with Thomas), i believe, should be mentioned on your avatars.

Now, where is my BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!! :D

Congratulations Clay! And kudos to you Aron, I heard you put in a massive performance! Deej, what can I say? You successfully Deejinated everyone except Clay and Aron, well done mate! :thumb:

pretty much exhausted. Disqualified myself :confused: by not waiting for the official start at the bottom of Matsuhime (didn't want to wait too long in order to be home before sunset and I was no game anyway :D).

Was super nice to meet all the new TCC "young guns"...yes they are FAST (way too fast for me) and competitive...very promising. I really liked the encouragements written in chalk on climb up Matsuhime, very moving (written by Chikako-san? - very sweet) ! Thank you again Serguei for the great day.

After passing you on the road a number of times, it was great finally getting to shake your hand today, Tom! And, thank you for dragging me to the start of the Mikuni climb!

After passing you on the road a number of times, it was great finally getting to shake your hand today, Tom! And, thank you for dragging me to the start of the Mikuni climb!

The pleasure was mine Pete. Still believe you ought to stick to a normal crank ...at your age ;)

The pleasure was mine Pete. Still believe you ought to stick to a normal crank ...at your age ;)

At 45 I'm no longer a spring chicken. I got a bit beaten up on Mikuni with my full sized cranks today with my cadence frequently dropping in to the 40's... I think I'm ready to finally go compact! :eek:

Had a great day. First of all meeting so many TCC'ers. Second, seeing all the TCC outfits. Third, a great ride. Didn't feel confident in the morning, but each climb I felt a bit better, and because I rode conservatively all along I was able to surprise myself with a good effort on the final climb. That one suits me well, steady and not too steep.

The 'official' group were seven strong, and started by Chikako. They finished in this order:
  1. Clay
  2. Aron
  3. Deej
  4. Mike
  5. Eugen
  6. Serguei
  7. Malte

Thanks to Serguei for organizing, Chikako for waiting for us and the encouragements on the road, Thomas (whom we unfortunately did not see) for guarding the finish line, and everybody for particpating.

Owen, Thomas and Phil at Musashiitsukaichi:

IMG_2682.JPG

Owen, Thomas and Joe:

IMG_2683.JPG

At Okutama-ko, before Matsuhime climb:

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2687.JPG

Scenic view at Matsuhime climb:

IMG_2688.JPG

At Matsuhime toge:

IMG_2690.JPG

Are they coming yet?

IMG_2694.JPG

To be continued...

Stefano arrived first but had not waited for the regroup because he had not seen other riders or Chikako:

IMG_2697.JPG

Takaaki arrived next:

IMG_2703.JPG

Then Tom, the man of steel:

IMG_2705.JPG

Then the group that had started together at the bottom and the proud winner was Clay:

IMG_2709.JPG

...followed by Aron:

IMG_2711.JPG

#3 was Deej:

IMG_2713.JPG

Mike:

IMG_2716.JPG

Eugen:

IMG_2718.JPG

Serguei:

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

Malte:

IMG_2724.JPG

Minna-san, otsukare sama deshita!

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2726.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Back at home after 212 km:

IMG_2732.JPG

Thank you to all who came to the ride! It was so nice to see such a massive TCC squad gathered in Shin-Matsuda. The pace was rather brisk (well, at least for me) with minimal stops, so I could not chat with many of you so much. Looking forward to seeing you again on a one of those more social rides soon.
Special thanks to Chikako & Joe for keeping time and taking pictures at Matsuhime-toge (I liked that "venga! venga!" written on side of the road with chalk:))
And Serguei, thank you so much for starting up this event!

Eugen

Back
Top Bottom