What's new

Sunday May 9th, Otarumi - Matsuhime - Tomin no Mori

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
As this weekend is the last week I should do any distance training for the Tokyo Itoigawa Fast Run I was wondering if anyone is free for an epic 200+ km ride this Sunday (Saturday is my wedding anniversary so can't move the day).

I was planning on doing the same route I did a few weeks back, Otarumi, Matsuhime, Tomin no mori and home. This was about 250km from Yokohama and also leaving early to avoid climbing at midday and allowing us home at a reasonable time.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29645226

I'm open to other routes I just seem to have the bug for long runs and long climbs.

James, I thought I'd better start posting here and stop blogging up the official Utsukushi thread:) I'm very interested in this ride but usually ride long on Saturdays. Let me give it some thought and I'll let you know. Tempting....

I'd be in for at least some of this. One-banana-Jules* and myself are keen to do Otoge and Matsuhime on sunday, so we could hook up with you guys somewhere along the way.

* He is reducing the travelling pantry bit by bit, and has now has asymptoted down to a single banana.

Ok guys update,

I Will be meeting 2 other riders at 7am at Tamawagarabashi

And then following the river up to Takao to be at the 7-11 near the station for around 7:50am.

Mike if you are joining me on this ride we can take Route 16 up to Takao and meet the other riders there.

i am reading this insane yoga book. about a guy who only drinks water exposed to sunlight. river water. something to do with nitrogen and bacteria. and he is fit as hell, and going on 70.

Actually in Africa and South America they are giving families 2liter plastic bottles to purify water. By leaving the water in direct sunlight the UV radiation is magnified through the plastic and actually kills 90% of the bactiria making the water safe to drink...just thought I would share another random fact.

James, thanks for the offer but after VERY careful consideration I've decided to do a big ride on Saturday. I usually try to keep to this pattern as big rides on Sunday pretty much destroy me for the week. Hope you enjoy your wedidng anniversary mate;) And let's try and get something organised after the Tokyo to Itogawa race.

Still not sure, but might join for some of the ride, as I need to be back home by 13:00pm.
If I am in - I will be at Tamagawara-bashi at 07:00am; If I am not there - Please ride ahead...:bike:

James, thanks for the offer but after VERY careful consideration I've decided to do a big ride on Saturday. I usually try to keep to this pattern as big rides on Sunday pretty much destroy me for the week. Hope you enjoy your wedidng anniversary mate;) And let's try and get something organised after the Tokyo to Itogawa race.

Mike no worries :(

Still not sure, but might join for some of the ride, as I need to be back home by 13:00pm.
If I am in - I will be at Tamagawara-bashi at 07:00am; If I am not there - Please ride ahead...:bike:

Ok mate..... Michael Hancock is also going to bail part way through...just trying to think how long it would take to reach Matsuhime and then Okutama to Ome and then home for you????

I'd love to join you, guys, but don't have much time this Sunday, so I'll just check out Kazahari-rindo and head home...

Awesome....seems that there will be alot of riders then....see you all tomorrow!

Me,
Yair,
Fumiki,
Michael H.,
David L.,
Clay
CJ
Kevin
Sergey

Oh..... and my wife completed her first Century today! :D

sunday

After meeting up with the gang, Jules and I split off at Otsuki and did a little detour up Otoge. Despite pushing myself, I was still a long way from my old record. We summited and cruised down the other side. The road is in pretty bad shape with a lot of roadworks, one sharp rock giving Jules a flat tyre, but the scenery was absolutely fantastic. So good in fact that our ride turned into a teddy bear's picnic, with plenty of photo-op's and laid back cruising. From there it was the second half of Matsuhime and down the back and then home (240kms, 3500m).

James, great ride report and looks like you guys had a great ride. The video was very cool also, but hope you weren't going too fast when you shot it:confused: That is a very fast average speed for such a long ride. Good work mate;)

p.s. Clay, still wondering what your time was up Mikuni when you broke your record. Thomas must be too busy or exhausted after his epic Tour de Kii to update the time.

Back
Top Bottom