1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Derailleur Question

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by ikedawilliams, Jan 1, 2012.

1. ikedawilliams

ikedawilliams Speeding Up

I want to order a compact double 10 speed chainset (50/34 and 12/25), but don't know if I should go with a short or medium cage length rear derailleur. Any advice would be helpful. Cheers.

2. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Media:
    Short cage will cover that range. I have 34/50 and 12-27 running on short cage in every gear.

3. ikedawilliams

4. FarEast

FarEast Maximum Pace Post Of The Week

It will also happily cover 53/28 as well :D

5. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Media:
    I'm using 36/46 with 11-32 on my CX. Standard cage Tiagra. No issues.

6. onm

onm

Yeah, short cage here. 53 25. Works fine.

7. ProRaceMechanic

ProRaceMechanic Maximum Pace

Media:
    Campag

Are you running Campy?
    Up to 29 teeth is fine on Campy short cage rear derailleur according to the parts distributor from the shop I worked at. A medium or long cage suits a triple crank. If you cross chain often from your 50 to your 25 you may want a medium cage. It gives you a little more chain to work with. (you will need a new chain if you go medium cage) and this will be better for the longevity of your derailleur and keep the stress off your rear derailleur hanger(if you cross chain)
    Generally speaking like everyone says you will be fine with a short cage. I run a med cage on my Campy cross bike, I sometimes end up in my 48 27 combo when I am in the red a few laps in. I have a long cage on my Campy triple set up. I also have run a short cage on my triple as with no shifting problems though. Thats not to say the derailleur wasnt twisted in some combos.

8. ikedawilliams

I was thinking Campy. Thanks everyone for the info. Much appreciated.