1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannondale Slice Premium Fork. Minor issue.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by onm, Sep 2, 2010.

1. onm

onm

Hi

So, last week I was cleaning my forks after a particularly grimey ride, and I noticed something weird on the back, where the front brake bolt sits.

Upon initial inspection, it appeared that the fork was a bit chewed up. My immediate reaction was to think, "bugger, I have somehow overtightened the brake during assembly, and knackered the carbon."

I took a load of photos of it, and sent them off to Cannondale.

They took a few days to get back to me, and when they did, I was informed that this is an issue with the Slice Premium forks where some of them did not get cleaned up after painting.

I was told that it does not affect the strength of the fork and there was nothing to worry about. I was also informed that it would not invalidate my warranty if I took it upon myself to clean up the fork myself.

I went at it with a scalpel and some very fine grit sand paper. The fork looks fine now, and it didn't take me a great deal of time to get down to the raw carbon underneath the messy paint job.

Not sure how useful this info is, but I guess there are a fair few people on here running these forks, so if you see something similar, there is a good chance it is this (although, don't take my word for it, and if you see anything like a crack, get them checked out ASAP!!)

2. SurlyCyclist

SurlyCyclist Speeding Up

Good to know it's not a structural defect though.

3. onm

onm

Yeah, I was worried for a bit there!