1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chainset life-span

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by onm, Nov 9, 2011.

1. onm

onm

Evening all,

Just wondering how long the rings on your chainsets are lasting you?

I have been using my Dura Ace chainset for about a year now, and the teeth seem fine on it. I did change the smaller ring from a 42 to a 39 very early on (ordering it on Wiggle whilst I had about 75 different tabs open in Chrome, combined with VBoxing 3 operating systems, dealing with countless calls from work and watching I'm Alan Partridge at the time, I accidentally clicked the wrong gear set up on the order page), but aside from that, nothing.

Also, I have gone through 3 cassettes and chains since getting full Dura-Ace, over the course of just over a year, and would be interested to know how often you are all going through your gear, on the front and back of the drive-train.

Cheers.
  2. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Media:
    21000 km on my chainrings.
    14000 km on one cassette.
    7000km on the other cassette.
    All still going strong.

Average 8000 km per chain; change the chain when it's worn per my chain gauge.
  3. Phil

Phil Maximum Pace

Media:
    I switch wheels a fair bit and don't track mileage, but, FWIW...

- Chainrings: Never changed, except for a used crankset I bought with pre-worn ring :)
    - Cassettes: Again, changing wheels a lot so hard to say. I've only thrown out one cassette, which I allowed to rust; I would expect at least 15,000 km otherwise...
    - Chain: Usually around 5000 km mine are getting long in the tooth (excuse the pun...) Usually end up changing them earlier though because I replace when I do a new build/change parts around etc.
  4. onm

onm

Thanks a lot for the info.

Very interesting, compared to what I am getting!
  5. onm

onm

Interesting cassette to chain replacement ratio you have there; I replaced a chain due to stretching after a few months on my bike, and found it was slipping like a b**tard on the original cassette, so had to quickly order a new cassette too. Do you not experience any issues with gear slipping when changing to a new chain after such a large amount of km on the cassette?
  6. Phil

Phil Maximum Pace

Media:
    Most common reason for this is riding too long with a stretched chain. The cogs wear to "fit" the worn chain, and even though the chain is lengthening, it still works okay. Then, when you install the new chain, it starts slipping right away. This is why it's important to measure the chain, rather than wait for symptoms, as by then it's likely too late for the cassette.
  7. onm

onm

Yeah, I am not new to chain issues matey; raced XC MTB as a teenager, then BMX street rider / racer for years after that.

More interested in why I seem to so quickly shag both components so fast after purchasing both at the same time, compared to people who are clearly putting in many more miles than me, and crossing new-to-old parts at much larger intervals...
  8. onm

onm

... :)
  9. Phil

Phil Maximum Pace

Media:
    Okay, but you did ask... :cool:
  10. onm

onm

True. Cheers for answering :D
  11. fredstaple

fredstaple Speeding Up

Years

I have one, a suntour, from a bike I got in 82. It has thousands of miles on it, a few years ago bike got converted to a fixed gear and I am still using the large ring from this set. The chain has been changed out a fair bit though.

I realize this is probably the exception.
  12. FarEast

FarEast Maximum Pace Post Of The Week

Mate.... I have no idea how you could have gone through a cassette or even chain in that short amount of time. I punish my kit and ride all weather but only switch out chains maybe once a year with an over haul and cassettes once in a blue moon.

Buy a Shimano chain gauge it will tell you if the chain has stretched or not and removes the guess work from everything.
  13. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Media:
    No, no slipping at all. I use Finish Line Dry lube and the Shimano chain gauge James recommends.
  14. FarEast

FarEast Maximum Pace Post Of The Week

Owen, when you say chain slippage are you talking that it jumps between gears, or slips down a gear when you push hard or actually the chain fails to engage the teeth on the cassette and slips over the top of the cassette?

I seriously can't see how in such a short period of time you have stretched a chain and ruined a cassette, the only possibility I see is that you have the chain on back to front and due to the shape of the Dura Ace links they are not engaging properly.
  15. Half-Fast Mike

Half-Fast Mike Maximum Pace

Media:
    No lube? Wrong lube? Bacon grease? Vinegar?

You'd think Owen of all people would understand the importance of proper lubrication.

Or - cross-chaining all the time. That'll mess things up esp. on DA.
  16. Half-Fast Mike

Half-Fast Mike Maximum Pace

Media:
    Remember this, lads? Pepsi ad.

Wheel-suckin' chain-munchin' strawberry bloody-fairy skewer-breakin' time-wastin' music-mixin' bike-fixin' hill-climbin' always-whinin' - OWEN. :p
  17. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Media:
  18. zenbiker

zenbiker Maximum Pace

Rubbing compound?
  19. Tamir

Tamir Speeding Up

I'm fixing up a bike for a friend after he got in an accident, and I replaced the chain because the old one was all rusty. I took the bike out for a test ride and the chain started slipping right away on all three chain rings. They were all clearly very worn (I realized afterward).:eek:

So I've ordered some new ones and plan to put them on next week. I hope I don't have to change out the cassette too (it's not as worn as the rings), since I've already changed so many parts on the bike and don't want to make my friend pay too much.:angel:
  20. Tamir

Tamir Speeding Up

So, I've put on the new chain rings, and the chain is also new, but the skipping problem continues. Whenever I try to pedal hard, on any of the chain rings, the chain skips, while normal-to-easy pedaling is fine.:confused:

Any ideas?