What's new

CR vs CR

Not just the signals

I try not to be in the firing line for cars cutting across me to turn left and will adjust my speed so that I am either approaching or past the junction when a car arrives, so far as I can.
Given the late signalling problem it pays to look for all the signs that a car may be turning....is it slowing down....has it moved to the extreme left of the lane....can you see the driver's head turned to the left....is it a Taxi (!).....keep scanning back and forth along the road and glance at the front wheels for the first sign of a turn. Also try to drift right in the lane on approach to discourage drivers from passing me just before a junction, and to signal my intention to go straight on (this also helps discourage cars from the other direction turning right across my path). Likewise if there is a filter lane to turn left, and I'm going straight on, I move out early into the correct lane. And if traffic is stopped, I try to position my bike in the centre of the lane or on the right of a car that is actually signalling left.

"Let's be careful out there!"

All good points Alan. I had an accident where I was using the right turn lane. No problem getting to it, just didn't have time to make the turn. The cops told me it's illegal for bikes to use the turn lanes. I wonder if this applies to cutting across the left turn lane to join the lane going straight through. Although I am aware that this is not a turn lane, at the time of the accident, I assumed they meant that bikes shouldn't be anywhere except next to the curb. This then gets me into trouble when sticking to the curb with a row of cars attempting to turn left directly on my right.

Apologies to the mods if this is going a little off-topic.

I think it depends on the country I am in.

In Japan, I like it in the city, as there are combinis, the road surface is a lot better than the countryside, etc.

In England, I like both. I grew up in Hertfordshire, riding all the shires on my Specialized, then moved to Sheffield where I continued MTB and got into BMX in the city.

The countryside in Japan generally looks horrible to me. Nothing compared to a warm summers day riding around the shires in England.

The countryside in Japan generally looks horrible to me. Nothing compared to a warm summers day riding around the shires in England.

I like(d) the countryside in England with its rolling hills and pastures, and very nice villages. Indeed, this is not something to be found in Japan.

But if I had to choose I would still go for Japan. There are real mountains here, and plenty! And some extremely nice nature, if you know where to go. The convenience store and drinks machine culture is also of immense help for cycling.

You will have to show me some nice places when my knee heals up!

Any suggestions on places to ride and I will go for it!

:)

I think it depends on the country I am in.

In Japan, I like it in the city, as there are combinis, the road surface is a lot better than the countryside, etc.

In England, I like both. I grew up in Hertfordshire, riding all the shires on my Specialized, then moved to Sheffield where I continued MTB and got into BMX in the city.

Owen! God my family is from Sheffield and I used to do a lot of BMX, Street riding, MTB and Raod riding around there.... Sheffield has to be one of the best places in the UK for riding any type of bike.

Stanich Heath for MTB, City Center for BMX and hack biking and then any where in around and out side if the city... Lady Bower Lake is awesome on the road bikes as well as heading out to ... shit forgot the name of the famous tart (Pie) that comes from that village! But I have a lot of fond memories of riding Sheffield!

But honestly, Get out of Tokyo and up in to the country side and some of it is very similar to the UK, but with better roads and vending machines in the strangest but most convient places.

Place names are spelt wrong most probably!

Bakewell. Where the tarts come from.

(My Dad actually said this once in public, before realising how it might be taken. Bless him. Also famous for well dressings, as I recall. What a strange hobby that is.)

I lived in Sheffield for 8 years before I moved out here (16 years ago). A great regret is that I didn't cycle then; confirmed motorcyclist at the time.

Luvvly tahn.

--HF Mike--

Country and City

Its is a tough choice, So I will have to remain undecided because I love them both!

City riding is great because of the interval stop light training and the ever present test of whos faster when you see another road warrior out. I always disliked riding in the city and having a dirt mustache! and the glass seems more abundant in the city.

Country riding is great for deep thinking. I have learned the most about myself and decided some major life changing decisions on the quiet country roads. I do dislike the country driver, more so than the city driver. The reason being is in the city there are witnesses! Nothing is worse than hearing the tailpipe from billy bobs monster truck and realizing The only thing keeping you from being tekka is the rationalization of someone who watches pro wrestling and ice fishes for fun.

I am doubly lucky as I live on the country side and can go up the mountain for country or down the mountain if I want to dodge cars!

In Japan, country riding, every time.

I used to enjoy cycling in London, with its historical buildings and interesting areas, and the kind of aggression that used to exist for cyclists.

In Japan, Tokyo is, of course, grey and bland without much of interest. The major problem is, however, the unpredictability of people who seem to have no spatial awareness, either when driving or walking.
I cycled to work 8 months ago, my bike is still waiting outside the office now.

I used to enjoy cycling in London, with its historical buildings and interesting areas

For me, always country riding. I like to ride and just drift off and it is hard to do this when you are constantly scanning your environment for signs of danger. Hence, city riding is something to be endured but at least in Japan the absence, on the whole, of parked cars means besides everything else you don`t have to scan every parked vehicle to see if there`s an occupant ready to jump out without looking. As Wolfman says, city riding is made bearable when you are somewhere with famous sights to see - London, Dublin - but otherwise give me the open roads we have here with barely any cars and the choice of flat land by the sea or the mountains, or even a combination of both, and it really is a cycling paradise. The only other good thing about city riding is the chance to race and somtimes claim a scalp or two from the scooter riders...but, you can still do than in the country.

I also find the width of the roads is an important factor and having roads where you have space to ride and for the cars to comfortably overtake you makes a big difference. Commuting roads here are just a tad too narrow for my liking.

City-fixed, country-geared

I like both types of riding, but I prefer riding fixed in the city, and geared in the country (I run brakes on both).

To focus on the dangers of the city, I do not even want to think about my gearing more than "get off the saddle and push harder!". I tried freewheel singlespeed, but found that boring and without the fixed kick from the rear flywheel to accelerate. The fixed also takes a lot less maintainance, which is a blessing considering the abuse it takes in a city, and the reliability required for commuting. I need the gears for the wind and the hills out of the city, and the sometimes greater baggage.

As for the Japanese driver signaling late: I just came from Toronto! Ours neither signal nor look, early or late. At least the Japanese driver knows he's ----ed if he hurts someone. In Canada and the US it's inconsequential.

Traffic rider/Demo Country gai-ii-

Traffic is all I know (kanagawa-ken), being a junior rider, I've had to take my long driving of a car in Japan & put that together with cycling.
I think this adds to me understanding the way Japanese drivers respond while behind the wheel & my response to cycling while riding, however, one never knows...
However, I think long country distance is good, steady pace, good speed, & health are what I focus on. Plus, taking a moment to stop and see the things I ride past all the time, are very important.

TREKJAPAN,

where are you located?

The longer you hold the over the shoulder stare, the more effective it becomes.

We need a formula working out.

Pretty hard to do this in the country....

http://vimeo.com/24136878

I saw nearly the exactly same thing happen with a guy on a 50cc scooter, but the other vehicle was not a smooth sided Escalade, but a big freight truck, the guy died right there on the curb, squished like a melon.

Yep, stupid hurts :eek:uch:

Nice thread- certainly each to their own or a mixture of both. For me the country only gets in the way of the CITY as far as cycling is concerned !

Back
Top Bottom