andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008

Attachments

• DSC_3941.JPG
    DSC_3941.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Looks cool! I have spontaneous moments of flogging myself in the gym.

I would be taking away some legs and adding a bunch more core if it was me. Your legs are obviously in top form, but is the rest of you?
I don't know, but strengthening the core will really help if it is somewhat neglected in your normal routine. (Probably more so than the legwork)

Cheers,

I think the two key words are: routine and progression.

Back in the day I used to do a very strict routine and I'd be flying in the spring.

Take your point about core. As cyclists we maybe think of our legs too much. I still think I can make them stronger though. But yes maybe more focus on the core.

Any core workouts you recommend in particular?

Cheers,

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Planks? Will give them a go...

The "coar" muscles get somewhat rejected after the beach season ends here in August!

Here's what my friend a strength trainer commented:

I like what I'm seeing! Lowering reps while increasing weights is a great way to build strength. Seems very quad dominant which makes sense for a cyclist, but could be worth adding some exercises that also work more of the posterior chain (deadlifts and/or hamstring curls?). I also prefer not to combine my cardio and strength training during the same workout. I generally warm up by doing light weights of the movement I'm about to perform (i.e. body weight or just the bar). Then build to the working sets. I find cardio as a warm up drains precious energy! I also would limit any cardio after to 30 mins max. Any longer could be counter productive to trying to build muscle. You could even try a quick tabata sesison instead! And if bench presses get repetitive, you could switch in pull ups for variety. Get lifting!

Andy

Cheers Basil,

The program looks similar to what is outlined in "weight training for cyclists" with regards to the 4 phases.

You've made me want to put more structure to the next few months.

Do you think it's worth subscribing to their program? A few years ago I planned it out just using the book. Are there big advantages to be had?

Cheers!

Andy

I've always been on the fence about doing cycling specific training. Be always just enjoyed cycling so half of me wants to just take it easy and do it for fun. The more competitive side of me kinda wants to start doing some actual training to see if I improve. Might be a good idea as my new bike should be coming soon (ish).

I've always been on the fence about doing cycling specific training. Be always just enjoyed cycling so half of me wants to just take it easy and do it for fun. The more competitive side of me kinda wants to start doing some actual training to see if I improve. Might be a good idea as my new bike should be coming soon (ish).

I think doing it for fun is what is most important.

Cycling is perhaps a lifestyle choice. Keeping fit and healthy and getting great satisfaction while you do it.

If you want to be competitive and race etc then maybe you need to focus a bit more on "training".

But even then it should always be fun. I like to think every ride I've done is based on "want to" over "have to".

New bike? Nothing like a new bike for motivation!

Get on it!

Andy

I think doing it for fun is what is most important.

Cycling is perhaps a lifestyle choice. Keeping fit and healthy and getting great satisfaction while you do it.

If you want to be competitive and race etc then maybe you need to focus a bit more on "training".

But even then it should always be fun. I like to think every ride I've done is based on "want to" over "have to".

New bike? Nothing like a new bike for motivation!

Get on it!

Andy

I guess that my problem lies in the fact that I have no interest in racing. If I did, I'm sure I would be doing some cycle related training. My occasion running races give me a target and motivation to train, and I see big improvements there, which makes me wonder about potential improvements I could make in my cycling. I just need to find some kind of motivation to do it ;)

I just need to find some kind of motivation to do it

For me the motivation comes from riding with people stronger than me. I know that's a bit difficult for you, but enter any hill climb around Tokyo and you will definitely find a few.

Edit: Even just riding with a strong club or team you'll find some friendly competition.

Last edited:
I guess that my problem lies in the fact that I have no interest in racing. If I did, I'm sure I would be doing some cycle related training. My occasion running races give me a target and motivation to train, and I see big improvements there, which makes me wonder about potential improvements I could make in my cycling. I just need to find some kind of motivation to do it ;)

Some people need races to give them the motivation to train. You obviously don't which is great. I don't think I do either. I honestly love training more than racing.

However, one offset of racing is that, assuming you target the race, it brings in all different kinds of training through the year, which is fun. Also you can see just how far you can push yourself in terms of reaching a physical peak.

If you were to do some races, I'd recommend hillclimbs like Norikura, Yatsugatake, Chokai etc, where you can make a fun weekend out of it.

Andy

I've been following this thread for a while and thought I'd chime in.

Lots of good information and experiences from everyone.

I used to be a former semi-pro (meaning I made some money-:) back in the day. I'm back in the saddle for over a year now after a nearly twenty year hiatus. But I was a runner and in pretty good shape. But since riding I'm in much better shape even when I run, which is still twice week.

I have always kept up a strength training regimen because it just balances out my aerobic workouts and enhances my cycling ability. Twice a week, ideally three. But I am assuming most of us have busy lives and families, so it can be challenging. Strength training consists of core work, planks, push ups, pull ups, some free weights and some machine weights for the arms. And once a week leg strengthening workout. I am not doing any cycling specific. I am not racing any longer, but like some posts I like to train as if...

One thing to keep in mind, as you age (I'm 51) you muscles began to disappear (no!) if you don't work out. I have noticed it even as I continue to workout. I cannot Imagine what happens if I didn't. And especially if you are logging kms and not doing any strength workout, in the long run it will hinder your performance.

I've been following this thread for a while and thought I'd chime in.

Lots of good information and experiences from everyone.

I used to be a former semi-pro (meaning I made some money-:) back in the day. I'm back in the saddle for over a year now after a nearly twenty year hiatus. But I was a runner and in pretty good shape. But since riding I'm in much better shape even when I run, which is still twice week.

I have always kept up a strength training regimen because it just balances out my aerobic workouts and enhances my cycling ability. Twice a week, ideally three. But I am assuming most of us have busy lives and families, so it can be challenging. Strength training consists of core work, planks, push ups, pull ups, some free weights and some machine weights for the arms. And once a week leg strengthening workout. I am not doing any cycling specific. I am not racing any longer, but like some posts I like to train as if...

One thing to keep in mind, as you age (I'm 51) you muscles began to disappear (no!) if you don't work out. I have noticed it even as I continue to workout. I cannot Imagine what happens if I didn't. And especially if you are logging kms and not doing any strength workout, in the long run it will hinder your performance.
How do you find your running helps your cycling? For me, it certainly helps my cardio but I think it has a negative effect on my legs regarding power. In the summer when I ride, I find I can sit down for long periods during climbs, but in the winter when I'm running more, I have to stand a lot more and have no power (feeling only, no power data to back this up as I don't have a power meter).

How do you find your running helps your cycling? For me, it certainly helps my cardio but I think it has a negative effect on my legs regarding power. In the summer when I ride, I find I can sit down for long periods during climbs, but in the winter when I'm running more, I have to stand a lot more and have no power (feeling only, no power data to back this up as I don't have a power meter).
@leicaman I cannot say that running helps my cycling other than as you say "cardio". But there are times when I just don't have the time to go cycling and so running is an alternative. And I also like to mix it up to make my exercise regimen more interesting. With that said, if I go on a run say on a Saturday morning, and then meet up for a long ride Sunday, I am definitely feeling that it slows me down. Mostly because I usually run between 8-12 km and I am still recovering on Sunday. So I am usually dropped on the hills if that is the case. If I do not run the day before, and go for a ride, then there has never been an issue with power. But I am not racing, so I don't mind if I feel the burn more if I go for a run.

@leicaman I cannot say that running helps my cycling other than as you say "cardio". But there are times when I just don't have the time to go cycling and so running is an alternative. And I also like to mix it up to make my exercise regimen more interesting. With that said, if I go on a run say on a Saturday morning, and then meet up for a long ride Sunday, I am definitely feeling that it slows me down. Mostly because I usually run between 8-12 km and I am still recovering on Sunday. So I am usually dropped on the hills if that is the case. If I do not run the day before, and go for a ride, then there has never been an issue with power. But I am not racing, so I don't mind if I feel the burn more if I go for a run.
Cheers for the info. I don't usually feel any different if I run the day before I ride unless it's over about 25-30km. I find I lack power when I've been doing a lot of running and not much riding. My leg muscles change and I find it easier to run and harder to ride.

My first comment on this site.

I do Mountainbiking and Trailrunning, been at it for 15 years now. Started with Crossfit last year for overall conditioning.

Nearly died the first month, but really enjoy it. What I noticed is I am now much stronger with trailrunning, while I lost a lot on the bike side.

Thing is you cannot really have a structured training programme, as you do not know what the crossfit has in store for you until you get there. you might plan to do interval training tomorrow on the bike, but if the crossfit decides today they are going to break your legs, you are stuffed for two days at least.

But on trailrunning my climbing has improved immensely, so I am ok with losing a bit on the bike

In winter I drink "heavier" beers such as British or Belgian ales.... Seems to do the trick!

Reactions: PSB
Back
Top Bottom