What's new

Cycling specific strength training

Cheers for the info. I don't usually feel any different if I run the day before I ride unless it's over about 25-30km. I find I lack power when I've been doing a lot of running and not much riding. My leg muscles change and I find it easier to run and harder to ride.
I do know that my running has gotten a lot better since riding. But not the other way around.

Are you saying this using the felling as base or more direct measurements like power or speed/heart beat?

You might be just be felling the difference and it isn't actually there

DSC_4197.JPG

Still going hard at this. Alternating gym work with bike work.

At the gym I've got the reps down a bit. Not so happy with my squat form and can lift close to the same weight, and with much better form, with a 1 legged lunge.

Last night's menu:

tuesday 28
stepping 5 mins
bench press 30 kg x 12 x 3
squat 83 kg x 12 x 3
lunges 68 kg x 12 x both legs x 3
bent over row 41 kg x 12 x 3
sit ups L4 x 65 x 2
back ext L4 x 100 x 2
machine training
leg ext 73 kg x 12 x 3
leg press 141 kg (max) x 25 x 3
latt pull down 36 kg x 15 x 3
stepping 5 mins

On the road I've been doing big gear repeats on a gentle climb, 4 mins x5.

Here too I'm noticing a progression in terms of average watts at 60 rpm.

I'm either getting stronger? Or better at pushing a heavy gear? Ideally a bit of both.

Today's effort:

https://www.strava.com/activities/789536339

I'm enjoying the training.

Again, I think "routine" and "progression" are the two key words.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Not for everyone.

Here the writer was cutting down on precious riding time.

Also he was trying to be competitive at the same time.

Even group rides are tough during a strength phase.

Also he seemed to want to become a faster sprinter. Which is pretty genetic. He should focus on working on his determined strengths.

For me strength work is for the off season. The plan is to build strength while focusing on on the bike strength training at the same time.

I'll race at Motegi on January 3rd but I've dropped my top end fitness and am carrying a few kilos.

I don't go there with big dreams. That's the sacrifice.

Some long rides early in the spring, get the weight down, and some top end work and I hope to be flying come April/May.

Will keep at it!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I have always kept up a strength training regimen because it just balances out my aerobic workouts and enhances my cycling ability. Twice a week, ideally three. But I am assuming most of us have busy lives and families, so it can be challenging. Strength training consists of core work, planks, push ups, pull ups, some free weights and some machine weights for the arms. And once a week leg strengthening workout. I am not doing any cycling specific. I am not racing any longer, but like some posts I like to train as if...

Bump...

I need to do more core and upper body work. No time or interest in going to the gym. Any ideas about a good routine for starting out? I have a couple kettle-bells at home. Might get some resistance bands if worth the money. Mostly I need a routine that builds core and upper body. If you care to share some ideas or point me to a prgram that might be good, it would be much appreicated.

Bump...

I need to do more core and upper body work. No time or interest in going to the gym. Any ideas about a good routine for starting out? I have a couple kettle-bells at home. Might get some resistance bands if worth the money. Mostly I need a routine that builds core and upper body. If you care to share some ideas or point me to a prgram that might be good, it would be much appreicated.
I am a gym guy so cannot recommend anything outside my jurisdiction.
But a simple google search will give you a lot of ideas I'm sure.

Back to the core strength thing: Watch T. Pinot pump the cadence up the hills (in the saddle) when he's, 'on'. His pedalling style is all about the pull-push at the transfer point of the power stroke whilst using his core strength. This is where it's at. All of my old coaches used to drum that into me back in the day. I've been using that method of late and have made major advances in my climbing. Losing another 3kg would also be useful though.

Interesting to see this thread resurface.

I did 3 sessions of on the bike strength work this week.

SFR drills. A heavy gear that you can keep good form while holding about 60 rpm. This isn't an all out effort. Try to stay in zone 3. For me I aim for 150 HR.

A nice easy slope 4,5% of 4 minutes. Repeat. But if you have something longer that's great. Intervals in and out of the saddle also help to mix it up.

The usual weekly training blog here:

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

Just out of curiosity: I assume you have a power meter. Why do you use heart rate zones?

Yes, I use both. And using both together is best in my opinion.

However, I pay more attention to one over the other in different situations.

In winter on the trainer, power is the best number to look at. Also for specific intervals such as FTP, VO2 max etc.

Over the last 8 weeks, HR has been more important as I try to monitor and manage my freshness leading into a race and then monitor my recovery coming out of a race.

On the whole, I've used power less this year as I am focusing on TTs. My aim is to get faster and I find myself looking at average power a lot for hard efforts.

So this morning I was trying to hold 41kph on a technical circuit and then 37 kph on a gentle climb.

It would be easier to knock out higher power by sitting up but I want the most speed for the least effort, which means working on the aerodynamics and technique.

As for the SFR intervals described above, both power and HR can be used, and I have used both in the past. Perhaps a disadvantage of power is that it tends to be slightly higher on a climb (assuming you did an FTP test on the flat) and can be slightly higher when churning a big gear (depending on the type of power meter). But even without a HRM or powermeter, you can still do these type of strength intervals. Just focus on keeping good form at a level of exertion that you can hold a conversation at.

But yes, I use both.

For anyone starting out, I would recommend a HRM first and getting to know your zones, what they feel like, and the intensity you ride at in different situations.

A powermeter can take things further once you have an understanding of this.

I always train with HR and usually train with power too.

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

Back
Top Bottom