1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever tightening headset!

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by zenbiker, Nov 26, 2010.

1. zenbiker

zenbiker Maximum Pace

I`ve changed the forks on my MTB to non sus ones. However, after setting the head bearings and riding for 10 kms, the headset seems to tighten itself.
    Headset is a star washer that ha be banged into the fork tube type.
    Any idea what I`ve done wrong?

2. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Media:
  3. zenbiker

zenbiker Maximum Pace

Thanks for the link. I`ll take it apart and start again to see what I`ve done wrong on the weekend.:eek:

4. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Media:
    My guess is that you've preloaded the top bolt (tightened it) AFTER you've improperly torqued the stem lock bolts. And if you've lubed the stem a bit - then general virbation of riding will now cause your headset loading to increase.

You should NEVER tighten the top bolt after you've set the bearing preload. In fact - it just needs enough snugging to just keep the cap on, that's all - its basically only used to set the bearing pre-load until you've tightened the stem lock bolts.

The other thing is make sure you sequentially tighten the stem locking bolts - a little at a time - until you've reached an equal torque. Should be roughly 40-60 in-lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench - this is only about 5lb-7lb pressure on your allen key!