What's new

Garmin Edge 705

... or you can charge it by USB - user manual p6:

You can also charge the Edge with the USB cable and your personal computer. Charge the Edge for at least three hours before you begin using it.

Thanks!

Thanks Mike & Charles!

Yes, 100-240V AC that's what it says...have got to find that "plug pin modifier" now (trip to Akihabara?:() but for the time being, I'll go with Charles's advice and charge it via my work PC :D (probably takes a bit longer I suppose).

Tom

Look at the label on your charger/adapter/transformer. If it says "Input 100-240V AC" or words to that effect, then you will be fine using a plug pin modifier to stick it in a Japanese outlet.

Although this applies to most modern appliances, I still see many folks with ex-UK equipment unnecessarily plugged into 100V->240V step-up transformers.

--Mike--

I need additional bike mounts for my 705. Does anyone happen to know any shops in central Tokyo selling Garmin accessories? I am not looking for online stores. :warau:

garmin_edge_bike_mount.jpg

Garmin accessories

The Japanese version of the 705 is just about to be released, or maybe it was to be today?

I know that HiRoad (http://hiroad.biz) are expecting stock, so Aoyama-san would be in touch with the distributor and should be able to get these parts for you. Closed Wednesdays, though. Tel. 03-6413-7168

--Mike--

I need additional bike mounts for my 705. Does anyone happen to know any shops in central Tokyo selling Garmin accessories? I am not looking for online stores. :warau:

Hi, Thomas,
You can check out here - www.tka.jp
I've ordered 2 spare mounts from them, no probs.

Garmin 705

I just ordered a Garmin 705. I should be getting it within the next few weeks. I purchased the model with the cadence sensor. I paid $470.00 for the unit from a shop that only sells to DoD customers.

I don't know if you guys have seen the Team Garmin Edge 705. It's cast in the team colors.....sweet! I didn't want to pay the additional $150.00 USD, just for the team colors. What counts is what's inside...:rolleyes:

Garmin to MapMyRun - solution

I finally figured out how to upload a route from Garmin 705 to MapMyRun.
It cannot be done from the Import options in the menu unless you have exported from Google Earth to a kml file first, and I dont have GE.
I spent a long time trying to export from both Garmin Connect and Garmin Training Center to a gpx file for the purpose, and trying to use the [Import => From garmin GPS] from the sub menu without any progress from both IE and Firefox.

The solution is to click on the Import Garmin button (as in the attached image)under the menu after creating a new Run. This may seem obvious, but believe me it is not - most engineers tend to start with the available options in the menus to try and get a task done, and in this case the menu lists what looks like the correct solution but it doesn't work!

-Denis

HRM Strap

Is anyone else having trouble with the heartrate strap?

Mine is not registering at all - I changed the batteries and made sure that the strap itself is facing the right way up. When I first got the device the HRM always registered. This soon ceased though.

Is anyone else having trouble with the heartrate strap?

Mine is not registering at all - I changed the batteries and made sure that the strap itself is facing the right way up. When I first got the device the HRM always registered. This soon ceased though.

Make sure the contact pads supporting your mantits are damp. If I have a bad connection I lick my fingers and rub the pads while I'm riding till I get a signal.

Wierd data

Thanks for the suggestions Pete - unfortunately no joy. I licked them before I put the strap on and they still didn't register. Rubbed them a bit when I was all sweaty during the ride as well.

On another note, I was on a climb on sunday which was rather windy and I guess in the 5-6% area. During this, the Garmin was fluctuating between 18-20% to -10%. Only temporarily and for the rest of the ride it was ok.

When I got home, I also realised that I'd clocked a top speed of 393 kmph, a new personal best.

Map choice....

Regarding the japanese Firmware for the 60csx: I recieved a unit shipped from UK yesterday and unsuccessfully tried to load it up with the japanese firmware. I am 100% sure that Japanese and European units are technically absolutely the same. However the unit ID somehow seems to tell whether its a japanese device or not. Too bad as this would be a real good service to the customers.

I have just received my UK purchased 705 and trying to set it up. What is the current thinking on map choices ?

This is available here http://tka.jp/SHOP/uud.html for 14,800 JPY and there is the original English source recommended by AlanW on http://www.uud.info/en/

What does the team think now that you have been using the device for a while please ?

I am in a deep cartographically challenged funk....please show me the way out :confused:

chazzer

Having only used this one http://www.uud.info/en/ I can't compare.
What has been great with this map is the ability for the software to take you down tiny little paths and find short cuts that only people living in the small villages/towns would know about. I sometimes am in disbelief at where it is taking me but very surprised at its ability to get me where I'm going in such a magical way.

It did take me on a wild goose chase in Nagano once and up and down a few hill climbs. Took me up the steepest climb I've ever done...expecting it to be a shorter way home over the top of the range. Once on top of the mountain it asked me to do a 'U' turn and go back down the same hill I just came up. :warau: Very educational.

Map choices for Garmin

Congratulations on your Edge 705, Chazzer. I haven't bought one yet as I'm OK with my eTrex Vista HCx for mapping and Polar S for bike stuff right now. It seems that Polar have stopped producing spare parts for this series now, and as I seem to kick cadence sensors to death, on average once a year, the writing may well be on the wall.

As far as I know, on an English-version Garmin the only comprehensive map of Japan that will display properly is the one from UpUpDown. There are a few partial city maps out there, made by hobbyists, but probably not a very satisfying experience.

However, I recently discovered that the Japanese maps (CitiNav 9 and Topo 10), which include a lot more information than the UUD map and are more up-to-date, do display on an English-version eTrex Legend HCx. All the labels and POI which should be in Kanji just display as dots, but all the roads, tracks, contour lines, waterways and everything else except text display just fine.

I'd be interested to find out whether the same is true for an Edge 705. I suspect it will work. As it's so easy to swap MicroSD cards, a combination of a Jse. map for detailed map info. and an UUD map to find a station or town name might be a useful combination for those who either don't read Japanese or can't stomach paying double the US price for the privilege of enjoying Kanji-savvy firmware.

Like Edogawakikkoman, I've also been taken on a few weird and wonderful routes by the Garmin routing algorithm.

--Mike--

I have just received my UK purchased 705 and trying to set it up. What is the current thinking on map choices ?

This is available here http://tka.jp/SHOP/uud.html for 14,800 JPY and there is the original English source recommended by AlanW on http://www.uud.info/en/

These are the same map.
The first link is just reselling UUD's map.
I just bought the preloaded MicroSD card from UUD and it arrived in 2 days. Still waiting on my 705 which is in the sky somewhere hurtling towards Tokyo.

Edit: Forgot to mention it is slightly cheaper directly from UUD as well (about 1000yen)

Thanks !

For the recommendation. Duly ordered and awaiting delivery now. I guess that not having the ability to use kanji-enabled maps is bearable. The unit comes with UK and European maps all loaded so that is a reasonable trade-off. In general the quality of Japanese mapping products ( not just GPS ) seems to be, as you would expect, highly detailed and function rich. I am thinking particularly of the AlpsLab offering for example. www.alpslab.jp

chazzer

I am increasingly hesitant to give any credence to the mapping data.

I have had some negative experiences. First, I was in the middle of a mountain range in Nagano and wanted to go home as I'd had enough, was tired and it was getting dark. I hit the "go home" function and a beautiful map appeared. Followed it up this toge, with the road gradually getting worse and worse, tarmac turning to gravel until I came to the top. The top was just barren wasteland which about 30 or 40 years ago had a path down to where I wanted to go. Now it just overgrown and totally unpassable. I only know this because as I was wandering around this deserted mountain top in cleats on a road bike, two foresters pulled up and asked what I was doing there...imagine my shame...

Only in Izu last weekend I hit the "go to [Odawara]" function and even though signs were telling me that Odawara was straight ahead on Route 135, the Garmin was telling me to take all these wierd left turns onto strange mountain passes.

I will only ever use it with the support of a proper map now.

(I have the UUD maps on the new 705)

->Richy,

Sounds like the same roads I've done iin Nagano. Play around with the settings a bit too.
Off road
Main roads.
Cycling paths...
If you set it to 'off road' or cycling paths it can take you on some goat tracks...

I recently bought the Edge 705 via Amazon UK which were having a special with 33% off (I was in the UK at the time as Amazon won't ship it outside Europe). I also purchased the SD card map of Japan directly from UUD (Garmin's Japan basemap, for my European version anyway, seemed as good as cycling blind!) and downloaded Ascent software for Mac as I'd heard of a number of limitations with Garmin's own software when using with Mac.

After reading all the feedback on this and other internet sites I fully expected to struggle from the initial setup to downloading the data later, but so far it's been surprising easy and straight forward. Admittedly though there are a number of functions I am yet to try including the auto routing function, so maybe the fun and games are still to come :confused:

Back
Top Bottom