1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ayasechick, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ayasechick

ayasechick Warming-Up

I'm looking into getting a Garmin Forerunner and was curious if anyone used something like that to plot their routes? If so, what website/software do you use for Japan maps?

Thanks!

2. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Hi,
    Welcome to TCC.
    I use a Garmin eTrex Legend, with Garmin MapSource software for managing the maps. There is an English map available of Japan from www.uud.info which is a detailed as you need; cost is 8400 Yen.
    You need to be a bit careful buying a GPS here, as the Garmin ones appear to have some kind of region lock on them. When I bought the Mapsource software I got the official Garmin Japan Topographic map with it. But, the maps have to be 'unlocked' through Garmin's website, and the official Japan map won't unlock for my eTrex, which I bought in USA. There may also be issues with display of Japanese characters on non-Japanese units.
    GPS units here also seem to be at least double the price of the same unit in UK/US.
    Unless you can read Kanji, my recommendation is to get a GPS sent from USA/Europe and load the www.uud.info map onto it.
    Cheers,
    AW.

3. ayasechick

ayasechick Warming-Up

Alan,

Thanks for the reply...I will be buying it from the US. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again!

4. idrowley

idrowley Warming-Up

this thread is just what I'm looking for. I've one question, which maybe Alan can answer. On the Garmin site, there's two new ones called the Edge 605 and Edge 705 which look very swish. Do these look like good buys (assuming they work in Japan)?

Edit: Just noticed the price difference between these and Alan's etrex legend...