What's new

Heading to Tokyo

bolt30

Warming-Up
Apr 21, 2007
Hello,

I'm going to be heading to Tokyo around this time next year. I'm trying to get a little information on how the road cycling is in and around Tokyo. How far outside of Tokyo to you have to travel to get to some hilly/mountainous terrain? Is there decent (relatively safe) riding in and around Tokyo? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommended resources regarding cycling (road) in Japan/Tokyo? Thanks in advance for any info. I'll be in Tokyo for about two or three years.

Biking in Japan

Welcome to TCC!

There are plenty of threads and posts on this site regarding cycling in/around Tokyo; you may have already read some. As I live in Yokohama, it would be best to await a Tokyo resident to answer your question.

Regarding cycling around various regions of Japan - plenty of threads on this as well. I would characterize cycling in Japan as safe; I have been doing so for some time and have had no bad experiences thus far.

Hello,

I'm going to be heading to Tokyo around this time next year. I'm trying to get a little information on how the road cycling is in and around Tokyo. How far outside of Tokyo to you have to travel to get to some hilly/mountainous terrain? Is there decent (relatively safe) riding in and around Tokyo? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommended resources regarding cycling (road) in Japan/Tokyo? Thanks in advance for any info. I'll be in Tokyo for about two or three years.

hi!

Welcome to tcc! I live in Nerima ku, from here it is about an hour cycle to hit the mountains in Okutama or chichibu area for example.

Look forward to riding with you!

Ash

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I love riding and when I learned I was heading to Tokyo I immediately began to panic that I would be hard pressed to find some good places to ride in Tokyo--especially for distance. Here in Northern Virginia there are just so many great places to ride a road bike. I know that there is some incredibly beautiful country outside Tokyo. I look forward to getting there and doing some riding soon after I get off the plane!!

I am also going to be in Tokyo this summer and will also be needing help figuring out where to ride my bike. Also, I really want to ride up the paved part of Mt. Fuji. Has anyone done this? Does anyone want to?

I'll be studying at Waseda starting on the 27th of July or thereabouts. If you're interested in riding together or anything or helping me out at all please email me.

Thanks

I am also going to be in Tokyo this summer and will also be needing help figuring out where to ride my bike. Also, I really want to ride up the paved part of Mt. Fuji. Has anyone done this? Does anyone want to?

I'll be studying at Waseda starting on the 27th of July or thereabouts. If you're interested in riding together or anything or helping me out at all please email me.

Thanks

hi! And welcome to tcc:welcome:

I have an office in Takadanobaba and ride a lot in and out of there, very close to waseda, so please let me know and maybe we can hook up and I would be happy to give you some tips about riding in this area. There are many of our riders who have attempted the fuji hill climb, let me know and I can put you in contact with them, they are a wealth of advice!:D

all the best

Ash

Mt.Fuji.

Hello bolt30, and also jakeamin,

There are 3 paved roads that go half-way up Mt. Fuji.
The main one that most of the tourists take is actually a toll-road coming from the north (but bicycles are allowed). It's 24km (15-16 miles) constant up at about a 6% gradient - there is a race held there every year in June, with about 3,000 entrants - I did it 2 years ago.
The second road is from the east - shorter, but much much steeper (8-9 miles, at nearly 11%) - this is "Tour of Japan" mountain course. Thomas & Sora-san rode it last year.
The third road is from the south... I don't think any of our members have been up that way yet, so I really can't tell you much about it.
And there is always the "LOOP" - 60 miles, right around the base - clockwise, or anti-clockwise; your choice!
Hope this helps.
Travis

Back
Top Bottom