What's new

p_gebing

Warming-Up
Aug 3, 2016
Hello everyone,
I'm a German national (23yo) studying in the Netherlands, just about to begin my exchange in Tokyo.
I've picked up road cycling this spring and have been loving every minute I've spent on my bike.
Therefore, I'm looking into continuing my efforts into cycling in the 5~6 months I'll be living in Tokyo, yet without spending a fortune. Alas, I'm not sure whether I should import my current bicycle or look for a second-hand one in Tokyo. I'm assuming the latter would save me lots of packaging, transporting and paperwork with the registration of my bike (while spending the same amount). That said, I prefer buying at a store over buying on the web (where most second-hand bikes can be found, right?).
During my stay in Tokyo, I'll be living in east Nishitokyo, just on the border to Nerima. I'd be extremely grateful for any tips or recommendations from you, dear members of TCC. Looking forward to meeting and riding along some of you in the coming months.
Best regards from Germany,
Pascal

Welcome,

What is your size bike and budget? And what kind of bike you are looking for (high end, ..)?

My budget is around €700~800 max., hoping that I'll be able to get a good fraction of the amount back when selling/returning the bike.
Currently, I'm riding a Specialized Diverge, frame size 56 (I'm 182cm).
As for what kind of bike I'm looking for, it'd be a modern road bike that's in a good condition (not necessarily anything specific).

@p_gebing

Just an idea, but you are in an ideal situation to get a Canyon, what with being German... You can call them up, deal with them in German, and get them to send you a bike to arrive in time for your stay in Japan.

Just checked their website, and it seems like their factory outlet road bikes all cost €3000+, which is way out of my budget :/
Don't think they have any actual second-hand bikes. Their staff is currently busy but I'll try contacting them again later. Thanks for the tip.

If you read Japanese or have someone who can help you this second hand site is good. They have shops all over Japan, and you may request any bike you like to be delivered to a shop near you for a test ride. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it, you just pay the shipping (around 5-8,000 yen). Have bought 2 bikes from them in the past and would buy again if I needed one (and they had a good offer). They suck when you want to sell things to them though, as you normally can't get even a half of what you paid originally (either new or bought from them), but that is their business model: buy used for 40%, sell for 70% of the value, or thereabouts.

You ride a 56 back home. Although they are not too rare in Japan, finding a size 56second hand bike here in Japan is not going to be the easiest. It might take you a while to find something. Then tying to sell it when you leave in 6 months time could be a ball ache. You might not be able to sell it unless you take it to one of those shops that Luka linked. In which case they would give you peanuts for it. And for the price you are looking at paying , you won't really get much.

If I were you, I'd bring my bike with me. Have you asked the airline how much it would cost? Registration of the bike wouldn't be a problem. You could either take the receipt as proof of purchase along with the bike to a local bike shop and they can register it, or you can not bother registering it, like most people on here do. My Canyon isn't registered and hasn't been for the past two and a bit years.

Are you able to keep the bike inside your apartment/house?

Yes, there's a bike garage so that shouldn't be a problem at all.
So it seems like I can either go for the second-hand bike with the possibility of difficulties in being able to sell it once I leave OR I have to import my bike.
The only problem with the latter is that I'll arrive in Osaka and travel the country for 1 1/2 weeks before getting to Tokyo.
Thus, I'd have to find a way to get it from Osaka to Tokyo without being there to receive it, or I'd have to ask my family to send the bike with DHL/FedEx/UPS as soon as I get there.
Does anyone have experience with sending their bike to Japan through one of those (or a similar firm)?

Or you can arrive with your bike and ask to be delivered to your house after 2 weeks, as far as I remember Yamato do that.

Back
Top Bottom