What's new

Half Fast HFC: Norikura - 2011 Shine On! Cycle Challenge

Actually comming from Ludwig who refuses to ride the Itoigawa fast run for the exact reason of the tunnels I'm heartened by his response..... if Ludwig was prepared to ride them that means its a breeze for traffic snakes like myself.

I don't do Itoigawa because of the tunnels. It's because of all the traffic before you even get to them. That's a big difference to doing route 158.

Mike.... 5 of us are in! Can't wait as this is a climb I've wantedto do for a long time!

It looks like I'll be heading out to my wife's parent's place between Tatsuno and Shiojiri on July 30th. So, I'll be doing Norikura the weekend after this event. I'll be looking forward to everyone's reports!

Hi Mike, this is Mikio.
Do you still have a place for another fixed gear rider? :)
I think we can fit you in... just! PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the information you need.

Mikio has accepted Tim's challenge: Tim will donate an extra 5,000 yen to the Tyler Foundation for every FG rider who beats him to the top.

So, bearing in mind that this is not a race and the event is for charity, does anyone else want to make a pledge?? You can sponsor Tim with your own money to do something daft, like ride up in his Santa suit. Or set some other imaginative and irresistible challenge that will make Tim a poor man.

But nothing dangerous, please.

cyclechallengeheader201.jpg

Depending the weather, we may have to break out the polka dotted mankinis. I think I have one in Far East's size.... hmmm.

Mike, quick update on the conditions around Norikura. I rode over Norikura on Sunday, from Takayama. This was the third day of a three-day trip with Tom (photos on his blog). Road conditions are still excellent. I had stunning views, much better than the first two times I have done Norikura. Also, much to my delight, the rindo leading to and beyond Shirakaba Toge is now open. I encountered the occasional car passing through. The road is almost spotlessly clean. Just mentioning this in case you are interested in leading some or all of the group over this very nice rindo (excellent views of Norikura!). It would now be completely legal and hopefully safe.

Ludwig, thank you for the report! I won't be there this weekend, but will be in the area the following weekend. Can you post a map of the Shirakaba Toge Rindo you are referring to? If possible something using GoogleMaps would be the easiest to read, for example RideWithGPS or BikeRouteToaster. Thank you in advance!

Here you go:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/100021766

Shirakaba Toge is indicated on the map - just southeast of Norikura Kogen.

If you are interested in what we did on the previous two days, just click on "Previous". I still need to write reports about each day. Days 1 and 2 were very challenging, especially in the heat. The last day less so, partly also due to the more moderate temperature, but still climbing 2,200m straight up is not exactly a walk-over...

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any advice on your plans.

OK, got it. I had that planned on my route, but didn't check for the name of the toge at the time. Good to know it's rideable and in good condition. Cheers Ludwig, thank you!

Just mentioning this in case you are interested in leading some or all of the group over this very nice rindo (excellent views of Norikura!). It would now be completely legal and hopefully safe.
Thanks, Ludwig. Yes we are planning to do the Super-Rindo. Great to have another confirmation that it's open, esp. after the recent floods/landslides that took out parts of the road up near Kamikochi. Really looking forward to the weekend!

Mission Complete!

I'm happy to say the 2011 Shine On! Cycle Challenge in Norikura was a resounding success - judged empirically by me asking people at random "Are you having a good time?" and them always answering in the affirmative.

Many thanks to TCC friends and Kokoloo friends and Yokota CC friends for joining Half Fast in this mountain madness. Looking forward to bigger and better and madder next year. :)

groupf.jpg

Mike - absolutely fantastic event. Many thanks for organising.

Pro Mechanic.... so great to finally meet you, I now have a totally new impression of you now when you talk about milking the cows and working on the farm!

Thanks again Mike! Awesome event and will take me at least 3 day to recover. Pro Mechanic thanks for lending me a spare security blanket! With the pace you guys were going the only thing in my head was being caught out with no spare tubs! Great riding to Mikio who really showed serious chutzpah on the last hammerfest climb of the day.

Many thanks to you Mike (and Akiko if she's reading this !). Great event and always fun meeting old and new faces - some of whom I'll no doubt meet again on the toges of west Tokyo. I for one plan to be back next year, making it four in a row !

Half-Fast Mike,

I was just curious what helmet mounted video camera do you use to capture your more recent rides that you've uploaded to Youtube? I think the quality of the video is quite good and relatively smooth and I'm considering doing something similar.

Thanks,
Bob

[...] what helmet mounted video camera do you use [...]
Hey Bob. I don't use helmet-mounted anything. For the long downhills, when I have it with me, I use a GoPro HD Hero with chest harness, like this. (I don't use this for uphills, having found on the Tioga Pass that the elastic chest harness restricts my breathing.)

The other videos are shot hand-held with a regular compact digital camera - currently a Sony DSC-HX5V. I like this camera a lot, because:
  • It's easy to use with one hand, and I don't find myself accidentally moving the wrong controls too often
  • Not too large, but not too light/small, so I can hold it steady when filming
  • Built in GPS for geotagging photos
  • Very cool auto-panorama photo function
  • Crucially: quick start-up! I had a Casio which took excellent movies and pictures, but it would make me wait around 7 seconds from pressing the power button to actually being able to shoot. The Sony, in contrast, starts up in 1s or less. That's important when I want to capture a moment on a bike ride.

Back
Top Bottom