What's new

Mechanical Failure on the Road - What do you do?

Spare tube
Pump
Credit Card / Cash Card / Alien Card / Health Insurance Card
Phone, and 2 fully charged spare batteries
Tyre Levers

That's about it.

I go absolutely minimal: the lightest possible pump, at most one spare tube, patches, mini-tool (80gr) - that's it! Also when riding from Tokyo, my little parachut (250gr, fits under the saddle).

I used to ride without any spare tube, but I got worried about non-patchable punctures, although I've never had one. In fact, I've never had any trouble other than a puncture (usually side cuts on rindos). 37,000km, mostly in the mountains... :)

I know one day what I carry may not be enough. But for this reason, I always make sure my BlackBerry is fully charged, I have my Garmin with me, and printed maps. A windbreaker even if I would normally not need it. More food than I would normally need. Yeah, and SPD shoes which I can walk with!

Needless to say, I always have plenty of money and IDs with me.

• Puncture repair Kit including- patches, sand paper, glue,tire boot, valve extender x 2, Y1000 note (this is for emergeny or to act as a large tire boot), spare chain links
  • Mini Pump
  • Gas Pump
  • 2x Gas cylinders
  • 2x tire levers
  • Multi Tool
  • Mini Chain breaker
  • 2x spare innertube
  • Specailist spoke took for which ever wheels I am riding.
  • Standard spoke wrench 4 sizes key.
  • Survival Sheet
  • Miniture 1st aid kit

Great list! The survival blanket stands out as something that could be quite handy, especially now that it is getting a bit chilly. Nice that you can pack it all in a pocket.

So far my plan B has been to either lock up the bike and come back with the Prius to pick it up....

Jeeves the butler is just a call away to come and fetch me in the Bentley!:cool:

Not a bad option.... if it's an option.... hehe. I'll have to work on what my friend calls 'wife limo'....

Pandani bike bags

Saw them in Nalsima a couple of weeks ago. Some nice designs there. Pimp My Rinko.

Here's a link to their online store

http://pandani.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=280615&csid=0

At ¥6,800 the price is comparable with the Mont Bell bag I use now. I like that the Pandani is colorful, has a separate bag for the front wheel, and has an elasticated hem. The drawstring on the Mont Bell is fiddly.

I don't like that the Pandani has no straps to tie everything together and to hook over my shoulder. I like to have my hands free for keitai/camera/general mischief. When I was a toddler I carried my teddy bear around in a bucket on the crook of my elbow so I could have my hands free.

Jury is out. I'll wait until I see one in action. I have more bike bags than bikes so there's no rush.

I also saw these a while back at Nalsima. They only had the polka-dot style, which wasn't my favorite. Seemed kind of cheap, yet still relatively expensive, so didn't really get it. I was after something which worked with the rear wheel on. Eventually got a Tioga which came in the bottle holder container. Good to know that these are probably nicer than they seem, not a bad option for getting a small packing size.

• mini pump on summer bike. frame fit pump on winter bike
  • two tubes
  • puncture kit
  • levers
  • spoke tool
  • multi tool (alan keys & screwdrivers)
  • chain tool
  • wallet & phone
Got caught with one tube once & had to walk barefoot for 10km (Brand new look cleats, I wasnt going to sacrifice them) not happening again.
I do like the look of that Pandani stuff and I am going to need a rinko. I have been on the lookout for some Japanese cycling kit but all I seem to find is Pearl Izumi & I can buy that here. Mind you I dont expect any of it would fit me.

Great list! The survival blanket stands out as something that could be quite handy, especially now that it is getting a bit chilly. Nice that you can pack it all in a pocket.

Actually it was bought for the summer months rather than winter, for heat stroke induced hyperthermia.

I was after something which worked with the rear wheel on. Eventually got a Tioga which came in the bottle holder container. Good to know that these are probably nicer than they seem, not a bad option for getting a small packing size.

The Pandani do work with the rear wheel still on. One of the reasons I like these is because you don't have to worry about all thwe straps and things and carry the bike by hooking the saddle over your shoulder. (Different horses for different courses I guess) I prefere to pack super-lite.

The Pandani do work with the rear wheel still on. One of the reasons I like these is because you don't have to worry about all thwe straps and things and carry the bike by hooking the saddle over your shoulder. (Different horses for different courses I guess) I prefere to pack super-lite.

Same here. The EZ cover I'm using comes with straps etc., but I have also removed them.

Being reminded lately by this thread to re-stock my pocket bags...

I picked up 3 mesh bags and one other foamy padded type from the 100yen shop today.

Like the mesh ones as I can see what's in them quickly and the sweat doesn't stay in them.

I used to put one bag in my second drink bottle cage inside an old bottle with the top cut off. That would have a tiny pump in it. My new pump is longer and attaches to the down tube on it's own.

Haven't used any of my saddle bags in years but may reconsider.
Prefer back pockets for most stuff.

Haven't used any of my saddle bags in years but may reconsider. Prefer back pockets for most stuff.

I use one of these instead of a saddle bag, plus my second water bottle is a tool/kit container bottle.
11335.jpg

God I hate those things......what is wrong with your jersey pockets?

I have one of those topeaks--excellent for a camera. It's easy to whip out, it won't get sweaty on one side (and sweat doesn't drip there), and waterproof if you happen thru some rain.

God I hate those things......what is wrong with your jersey pockets?

In the summer, I didn`t have any. Just went with the Craft cool base layer to enable me to survive the heat, so no pockets. Hence, needed a storage solution. But, I have found it so useful, I have just left it on the bike. Beats a saddle bag, as like JDD mentioned, you can access it without having to stop. Quite popular in the tri world.

The first time I really needed a rinko bag, the LBS didn't have the model I wanted so I went to the fabric store, bought a few yards of nylon and just made my own. I think my home-made rinko bag rolls up just slightly smaller than the Pandani.

The cool thing is that even though I did make a small separate bag for the front wheel, I made the main bag large enough to cover the bike with BOTH wheels on; it fits like a skirt with openings at the top and bottom and drawstrings to close. I know you're supposed to take the front wheel off, but it doesn't really make the bike that much shorter, plus you risk damaging your forks and scraping the frame from the front wheel rubbing against it.

Now, I always ride the train with both wheels on. When it's covered up, no one really cares if the wheel is on there or not. Once on the train, I lean it against a wall and I use a strap to tie the top tube to a hand rail so it can't tip over. In my opinion, this is the most stable and safe arrangement for everyone.

Like!

it fits like a skirt with openings at the top and bottom and drawstrings to close.

Stroke of genius, just like in the poster :D ...but it says...mochikomemasen...:eek: ZANNEN!!
6rlobn.jpg

Who could possibly object to that...as long as the inside is not visible!

Or go full circle, and use a rain cape as a bike cover!

Hood could hook over the saddle ...

Poncho%20003.jpg

women-men-dark-red-cycling-bicycle-bike-raincoat-rain-cape-154454n.jpg

I've used the 100y store rain cape as a rinko. Besides only costing 100y, it works just as well as any fancy parachute rinko. Currently I use a cheapo Ostrich or a Topeak Cocoon when I don't want to appear so ghetto. The Ostrich now has a slot in both ends so I can use it as a poncho when required. When my Ti bike is de-coupled it's about half the length as a regular bike - so my next project is making a properly sized Poncho Rinko (sounds like a Mexican Gangster). I used to just put a conbini plastic bag over the chainring and all was good - but recently the gate guards have been a little more attentive and require full coverage. Depending the line - the above 'full bike' may or not fly. The de-coupled bike always flys because the station crew views it as a 'folding bike'.

Based on this - the Cocoon is the best compromise cause it meets the station crew's rules (must remove front wheel) and it allows for minimal dis-assembly. never had a problem with the front wheel tucked next to the frame - though I generally just carry the front wheel separately. Cocoon's only cost 3000 yen compared to Pandani 7000 yen.

Back
Top Bottom