What's new

niigata hillclimb 2014

To answer your question...I haven`t looked into it for a long time. Having the Powertap, it`s not relevant to me. The main arguments against stages when it came out, was that each leg rarely contributes 50% equally, e.g. it could be 52-48, so doubling the left leg to create total power is inaccurate. And that balance can change when riding, even during the same ride when maintaining the same power level, e.g. due to fatigue. But like I said, I never really checked how great that change was, and whether the variance is so great, as to offset the value of the powermeter. As for the debate whether having an even balance across legs is important, i think the answer is not known yet. Likewise, the value in itself of knowing the individual leg data is not yet known. The Pioneer which shows angle at which force is applied and when it is applied in the crank rotation does look like it would be useful, but like i said, i can`t justify it for my level of cycling. As to whether one-legged drills would actually improve the balance, or even your cycling for that matter, is a whole `nuther debate.

The main thing with the 4iiii one, is you can start with one side, see how you get on, and then later on, add the other side for no penalty (in comparison to buying the whole unit in one go). You mentioned earlier about possibly buying a Minoura trainer, the problem there is, will you want to ride it ahead of your rollers? The 4iiii would allow you to still use your rollers and give you data in the field.

Sikochi, good points about leg imbalances and simply doubling the power of one leg. If that's the case I guess most people would prefer having their right leg doubled!?

I think the appeal of this unit, like you say, is that you can keep it on the bike for rollers, for training and racing (little weight penalty).

I only mentioned the minoura power trainer. I actually have a minoura staionary trainer but haven't used it since I tried rollers. They are useful for resisted strength work but I find cross training (snow shoeing and stepping) and strength training (squats) to be more fun for this purpose. During the off-season the rollers are a fun activity for keeping leg speed and burning a few calories...

I'll see how the reviews of this product go and maybe give it a try!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom