1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pawl Engagement problems, possibly...

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by onm, May 14, 2010.

1. onm

onm

So, I am having a few issues with my rear wheel.

Occasionally, it seems like engagement of the pawls misses, and there is a slip until the next one hits. Very disconcerting.

Happens only when engaging from free-wheeling, and never when pedalling continuously.

My wheels are Shimano RS10 (nothing exotic, and I have read mixed reviews, but whatever).

Just wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this, and fixed it...

Logic is telling me that they are loaded with a little too much grease, and this is causing a degree of inertia on the springs.

Any ideas?
  2. FarEast

FarEast Maximum Pace Post Of The Week

This bike is new right? Have you taken her in for the 1st service yet?

If not now is the time, my new Shimano Ultegra's are doing the same now so I willl take them into the store tomorrow for the service as they have done about 1000km already.
  3. onm

onm

Well yeah, I could go down the bike shop and get it sorted, but I was wondering if this was a common issue with new road hubs.

Would much prefer to sort it myself than take it to the bike shop.
  4. FarEast

But this is a new bike so it will be under warranty. So get the whole bike serviced as its for free.... they may find other issues as well.
  5. onm

onm

True. Suppose I should use the service offered.

I come mainly from a BMX background though, and I am used to fixing stuff for myself. Really enjoy it, so was just wondering if anyone had fixed this issues themselves.

Will take the rear hub apart and report back later with my findings.:)
  6. AlanW

AlanW Maximum Pace

Shimano freehubs are not user servicable or rebuildable. If it's under warranty, get the bike shop to "fix" i.e. replace it. If you take apart the hub, all you can get at are the bearings upon which the hub rotates, and the bolt that allows removal of the freehub as a single unit.
    Seriously, it's not worth messing about with this one.
  7. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Hmm, Shimano hubs are mostly factory sealed and they don't generally recommend disassembly. Though that doesn't mean you can't. A slipping pawl is generally caused from over lube, accumulated gunk, using the wrong lube, broken bits or just plain mfg issues. Check to make sure you won't void any warrantees if you do decide to tear it apart. But, if you do, try to get ahold of some high quality freehub lube (silicon, pte based) like Morningstar or OEM Shimano freehub lube. If you can't find that, then pretty much any synthetic, multi viscosity differential oil will work fine.
  8. onm

onm

Cheers guys.

If I was in the UK, I would take this to the local bike shop and have a laugh with them as we worked through the problem in the workshop.

Can't do that in Japan, for various reasons, so yeah, going to take it to the shop and get them to trade it in for a better wheelset.

What would you lads recommend as a sick wheelset?
  9. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

bad idea. step away from the freehub with your hands well away from your tools. Sounds like nothing untoward, there are always dead spots between pawls. Might be you are super sensitive to it due to the newness of the machine. Might be worth your while asking Santa for some of these. http://chrisking.com/hubs
  10. FarEast

Oh I can go on till the cows come home regarding "SICK" wheel sets but it all comes down to how much $$$$$ you intend to drop on them!
  11. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

Yeah I am looking for a track wheel set at the moment. Given that I will never race in anger more than a few times a year, do I really need to drop more than 8 bills? But I really want to. Will probably settle for entry level gran comps. Then again Campy Pistas are only another 200$.
  12. onm

onm

Nah, this is more than a dead spot issue. It is a proper loud slip with a very real move forward of the pedals. Never had anything like this on any of the hubs I have ridden in my life, including G-Sport, Hope, Ringle, Chris King, etc.

I imagine Shimano is using a 4 pawl system and the unit has been loaded with too much grease, or one of the springs is dodgy. Wish the manufacturers would stick to 3 pawls, or multiples of 3...
  13. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

Take it SEO cycles and let the money you paid do it's work.