What's new

RECALL: MAVIC R-SYS wheels

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
It was brought to my attention by Dominic and Positivo Espresso that Mavic has issued a world wide recall on MAVIC R-SYS wheels.

If you own a set of these wheels under no circumstances should you ride them and you should take them to either a MAvic dealership or contact Mavic directly.

The issue is with the carbon spokes fracturing and breaking up causing a chain reaction with the other spokes resulting in a complete failure of the wheel as seen below:

mavic-2nd-gen-r-sys-wheel-break.jpg

mavic-r-sys-tourdownunder.jpg

Mavic released a second generation of wheels after the original recall but it seems that the spokes are still easily fractured.

Again DO NOT RIDE THESE WHEELS!

Only took a year, eh? It's kind of stunning that anyone with internet access is still riding these things anyway... :)

Yes, the issues even with the second generation have been known.
Kind of outrageous news, after Mavic tried to shift the blame on riders and never admitted on their faulty product for a long time. Shows how they value profit versus health of their customers. Reminds me of fight club.

On another note my used Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels will be delivered this afternoon. Haven't laid eyes on them yet and hope they are in a condition that allows me to get back on the road with speed and confidence.

Recall on the 1st generation of these.
Stronger spokes on the second generation but still some nasty failures reported (e.g. Velonews editor crash).

Personally I would not touch the R-SYS with a barge-pole. Arse-is is closer to the truth.

AW.

ps other Mavic designs seem quite good - got Ksyrium ESs on one bike and Crossmax SLs on another, both with aluminium alloy spokes.

Can't find any mention of a recent, second recall anywhere...

Now that you mention it, neither can I. First hit on Google's advanced search for "R-sys recall" within last 24 hours is TCC's own Twitter... :eek:

Still wouldn't ride them though!

I got the info from my LBS, it maybe just Japan at the moment as after the Bianchi incident importers are being very quick to deal with such issues.

Back
Top Bottom