1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resprays

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by originaloli, Dec 8, 2008.

1. originaloli

originaloli Warming-Up

Hey,

i've just arrived in Tokyo and my bikes have just come over to join me! So finally i can ride again after 8 weeks of shipping. I'm so happy. But one thing I need to know is where I can get a frame resprayed? How much is that service over here? I hope it's not comically expensive. I don't like doing it at home. Oh yes, and where's a good place for forks? I'm a little sick of mine being too short so might pass them over to the g/f and put in some new long ones.

Oli

2. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

Ori welcome
    resprays scroll down on this page for a price list
    http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f73029491

forks Online from overseas but if you need the tube cut then maybe LBS for the whole job. Works out cheaper if they don't charge you for the cutting, negotiate!

3. originaloli

originaloli Warming-Up

Cheers Kiwi,

That's a bit pricy for my pub bike. I was used to paying around 10-12K back home. I'd rather hand it over to someone in Tokyo if possible, ideally a small bike shop. I don't need any fancy work like your man offers (though it's an excellent price given the service), just a basic sprayover. It might well have to be a trip down to Tokyu Hands for some creative life goods...

4. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

I was going to suggest rattle cans. lots of light applications with some clear on top.

5. originaloli

originaloli Warming-Up

I might try my local man in a shed. He seems to know his onions (language barrier makes it hard to be sure) and he was very kind and patient with a confused gaijin this afternoon. So I doubt I'll ever buy any parts from him but might as well job down there for the things I can't do. Feels a lot niced than the local sterilised bike shop which is a bit poncey. I actually only trust places that might hit my bike with a hammer, funny as it may seem...

6. kiwisimon

kiwisimon Maximum Pace

what's the worst he can do?
    hammers are good

7. originaloli

originaloli Warming-Up

...hammers are good, that's my point. I get mistrustful of places that insist on things like the exact perfect tool and refusing to fit standardised parts or mismatching gear. My life is mismatching gear. I once spent a fortnight riding on cranks of different lengths. That was annoying, though. I don't recommend it. So, guys that get the job done are the best...however they get there.

8. US27

US27 Warming-Up

I understand the onions part although I haven't heard it before.

Does "poncey" mean somewhat aloof? Is it similar to snootie, snotty, or snobbish?

Forgive me, I am a recovering English teacher.