1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steerer Tube Cutting

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by onm, Jan 23, 2011.

1. onm

onm

Evening,

I want to cut down the steerer tube on my carbon forks, but obviously before I do so I want to ask if anyone else has done this?

Any advice, or things I should look out for?
  2. FarEast

FarEast Maximum Pace Post Of The Week

Done it to loads of bikes.

Tips:

• Use the correct tools
    • Steerer tube cutting guide
    • Hacksaw with blade for cutting carbon
    • Face mask
    • Eye protection
    • Sand paper

DO NOT BREATH THAT STUFF IN!
  3. onm

onm

Cheers!

Basically the mirror opposite of what I was going to do then, lolz.

Any idea where I can get a steerer tube cutting guide? I suppose I could make one myself...

Also, I need a bit of advise regarding how long to cut it.

I have slammed my stem right down, with only the large cone spacer between it and the frame. I want to remove all the spacers above it, so it looks all sexy and fast. The only thing I want to have on the top is the compression thing.

How much gap should I have between the top of the cut steerer and the top of the stem?

Hope that makes sense.
  4. FarEast

Y's road or any bike store that has a good selection of tools. The usual suspects inthe UK do them very cheap.

Cut the steerer about 2mm lower than required as the compression cap is convexed by about 2 mm.

Once you have cut it use the sand paper to smoth and round the edges of the steerer tube to prevent the weave from coming apart.
  5. onm

onm

Thanks a lot.

Hopefully this info will be useful to others.

What kind of stem - spacer - steerer tube set up do you have?
  6. FarEast

The stem is flush with the headset compression cap, no spacers.
  7. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Cheapass econo here -

1) Masking tape 1 layer or so around the area you want to cut
    2) Hose clamp (screw type) as a guide
    3) Scribe a sharp like with a knife 360 around the hose clamp.
    4) Grit - type blade for your hacksaw
    5) Keep the hose clamp on cause you can face the edge with sand paper.
    6) Measure 3x and wait at least 2min before the last measure and until you cut.
    7) Don't press down on the hack saw - let the grit do the work. Smooth, light, smooth, strokes.
    8) Rotate the tube while you cut - you want to avoid ripping the fabric. (7) again, please.

That's it!

Forget the fancy cutting guides unless you are cutting alot of forks, invest in a decent wood block vice instead.
  8. onm

onm

James- cheers.

GS- like the cut of your jib, mate. Good ideas there.
  9. Sikochi

Sikochi Maximum Pace

I`m sure you`ve thought of this, but any reason why you don`t ask Yuuta to do it? I wouldn`t have thought they`d charge too much. If you really want to do it yourself, I`m sure you could probably take it in there and get them to supervise you just to make sure nothing untoward happens. That way, you might even be able to borrow some tools and save on buying some. Depending on how much you have to play with you can practice first by taking off a small section and after that cutting it down to the exact length. Anyway, let us know how you get on as I`ve adjusted mine so there is just the one spacer under the stem with the other four above it but I haven`t bothered with trying to cut it yet.
  10. onm

onm

Yuta has his hands full dealing with nobs asking him to put a kick stand and flat pedals on a Dogma.
  11. Half-Fast Mike

Half-Fast Mike Maximum Pace

12. Yamabushi

Yamabushi Maximum Pace Ride Leader

13. GSAstuto

GSAstuto Maximum Pace

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention one small thing. If you are cutting / sanding carbon composites, it's a good idea to wear some kind of dust mask. It's not the best stuff to have trapped in your lungs.