1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel died

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics' started by onm, Jun 14, 2010.

1. onm

onm

So my rear wheel died.

Had it trued a couple of times by the LBS and they did a good job, but the thing is just buggered. Doesn't hold straight for more than a couple of km. The wheels are cheap Shimano RS10 that came on the bike.

So, I am in the market for a new wheel set and want to order something pretty fast so I can get them on my ride in time for the end of 梅雨.

I have looked at Mavic Ksyrium Elite, and they look pretty cool. Something in that kind of price range is what I am after, so if anyone has ridden these, or knows of anything better around the same price, give me a shout!

Cheers.
  2. Half-Fast Mike

Half-Fast Mike Maximum Pace

Mavic Ksyrium Elite

I own three sets of Mavic Ksyrium Elite. One set I bought new in 2006 and abused mercilessly. Bought two other sets second-hand from Yahoo! Auctions within the last year; one for my 'spare' bike, and one to replace the first set while I rebuilt it (one-too-many crunches finally finished off the rims).

Excellent value-for-money wheelset, in my opinion. But I'm biased, i.e., prohibited by my guru from buying anything fancier because anything fancier is not rated for my body weight!
    Tick tick tick goes the freehub...
    Ting ting ting goes the bell...
    Twang twang twang go my spoke blades...
    And I'll need some new wheels as well!

(Sorry - i've just been watching Glee)
    Gunjira just got Elites. He seems to like them too.

Those RS-10s with their 16 spokes are more for show than for substance, and rough treatment or a heavy rider (+ luggage) would be too much.

--HF Mike--
  3. thomas

thomas The Crank Engine Admin

4. trad

trad Speeding Up

Bomber - I've had two sets of elites and they've been nearly bomb proof for me.

If not in a hurry, might look at chain reaction in the UK. I think they carry the wheels for about 50,000. Also might look at thier Shimano 6700 Ultegra wheels.
    They are going for about 28,500 for the pair.

BTW, I'm surprised you are not covered under warranty. RS wheels are pretty tough and there's no reason for it to go awry...
  5. onm

onm

Yeah, well I am going to see if I can get them warranted, then pass the new set I get back on to my mate, so he can pass his wheels onto his wife. All part of the master plan!

So, basically, I will be fine with the Mavics, by all accounts. Right, I am going to get them then!

And the RS10... They are not strong, if I managed to buckle them in the space of a couple of months, and have only ridden them in a straight line (apart from my silly crash, which didn't affect the rear wheels in any way).

One more question; does the freewheel on the Ksyriums make a nice loud tick? I need it for Obaasan alerting.
  6. Half-Fast Mike

That's not what the tick is designed for, but I think you'll be pleased with the noise.

Those freehubs do require regular maintenance. Basically a squirt of mineral oil down the slots at the back every once in a while. They're relatively easy to take apart and inspect/rebuild too. But still noisy.
  7. onm

onm

Cool.

Well, I just ordered them from Chain Reaction. Got them well cheap!

Will let you know what they are like when they arrive.

Cheers!
  8. Half-Fast Mike

Hopefully they'll be circular. Good quality to look for in wheels, that.
  9. onm

onm

Nah mate, Bio-pace wheels are making a BIG comeback I heard.
  10. Half-Fast Mike

Wait. What?

[​IMG]

Yabba dabba doo!
  11. onm

onm

What did I tell you.

Prototyped in 2008, and now finally hitting the shelves in 2010.
  12. Gunjira

Gunjira Maximum Pace

I haven't had a chance to do anything seriously on my Elite's, but am satisfied so far. Got the 2006 model used on eBay for 120euro and without good pictures and description it was a gamble. Considering they have 10k plus on them according to the previous owner, they are excellent condition in and out. I have to get the mavic spoke tool and tighten up the rear wheel spokes (the rim runs perfectly true) and then I will put them through an ordeal of sprints, climbs and long-distance riding:cool:

Well that's when I can hold the handlebars again without the pain from bike-polo.
  13. onm

onm

Sick.

Looking forward to getting my, no doubt massively over-sized box through the post.

Expect an hilarious Youtube unboxing video to follow.