What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

time for the n+1 rule. Finally got her to say yes for us to get 2 touring rigs. Do any of you guys know where to get touring bikes reasonably priced? (in the range of10万円) I'm hoping for mech disc brakes and at least rear racks already included.

The trek 720 seems ideal(discs + racks already there) but it sells for 150k or so., the panasonic POS bikes seem overpriced at 170k with only downtube shifters and canti brakes. are there any other real options?

found a couple of bikes on that might be ok on cycly, but I'm really looking at cycly bikes as a last resort.

What sizes?
I would grab this one up really fast if I were in the market for what you're in the market for: http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m151223399

Has the necessary tabs for racks and fenders: http://page12.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/p496028935

Last edited:
I've been noticing my tyres (continental 4 seasons) "moulting" the last month or so andwhen I was checking them today found a but if damage to the sidewall and tread (no damage on the inside of the tyre when I took them off). I've changed them for some new tyres anyway but just so I know for the future, did I really need to change them or are they still okay to use? CheersIMG_20160625_143529.jpg IMG_20160625_143634.jpg IMG_20160625_150254.jpgIMG_20160625_150321.jpg

Last edited:
I use Conti Gatorskins. They exhibit similar behaviour after about 5000 km or too much time in the sun. If I leave them for a while, I usually start getting flats and wish that I'd changed them earlier.

Ordered a couple of Lifeline road race tyres from wiggle.

The one single review I found raves about how nice these tyres are. Anybody with experience with these?

Maybe I'll post a review once they arrive and I get some mileage on them.

Bought a pair of these myself. Used them for the first time today. They were easy to fit (didn't need to use levers to get them on) and gave a really smooth ride compared to the 4 seasons I had on before. Grip was good - the roads were dry (with the usual streams across the roads in the hills) and they came through some local rindo unscathed.

The tyre has perished.

You were right to replace it.

If you want your tyres to last longer, leave them out of the sun/elements.

The tyre has perished.

You were right to replace it.

If you want your tyres to last longer, leave them out of the sun/elements.
Thanks - felt a lot more relaxed with new tyres on today.
The bike lives in the shed (open to the elements at the front but with long eaves so it's never in direct sunlight etc). Not had a problem with other bikes/tyres in there but have stuck a cover over it to give it a bit more protection.

It's July. It's Tokyo. It's sweltering.You went outside for 30mins for a wee run before work to keep fit. You get back home and drip all the way to the bathroom where you drip some more until the cold shower gets you clean. You dry off but somehow you are still sweating. You get dressed but you continue to sweat for the next 20 mins so you walk around with a towel while grabbing breakfast before having to leave for work. Same applies to any session (running or cycling or rollers) really in this heat. Sweat, sweat, sweat long after you've already had a shower to cool down. Any nice approaches to cooling down more efficiently? Little longer in the cold shower? A hot shower? I don't actually sweat that much except when I do exercise so it's mostly an issue after a workout and most annoying in the morning when time is limited.

It's July. It's Tokyo. It's sweltering.You went outside for 30mins for a wee run before work to keep fit. You get back home and drip all the way to the bathroom where you drip some more until the cold shower gets you clean. You dry off but somehow you are still sweating. You get dressed but you continue to sweat for the next 20 mins so you walk around with a towel while grabbing breakfast before having to leave for work. Same applies to any session (running or cycling or rollers) really in this heat. Sweat, sweat, sweat long after you've already had a shower to cool down. Any nice approaches to cooling down more efficiently? Little longer in the cold shower? A hot shower? I don't actually sweat that much except when I do exercise so it's mostly an issue after a workout and most annoying in the morning when time is limited.
A fan on full blast before and after a shower always helps me cool down and stop the constant dripping.
I've not been exercising for the last few weeks but I went out for a run a couple of nights ago at what would normally be a comfortable pace. The first 5k were fine. It was return 5 that almost killed me.

Stay in the shower a bit longer, and get it down to full cold for at least a little while is my method.

Ok so full cold and a good wind storm... I guess my great big hair mop is not helping regulate this heat either. Anyway - about time I had a fan pointed at me during breakfast also.

Thanks - felt a lot more relaxed with new tyres on today.
The bike lives in the shed (open to the elements at the front but with long eaves so it's never in direct sunlight etc). Not had a problem with other bikes/tyres in there but have stuck a cover over it to give it a bit more protection.
Just one other thought. I've seen a couple of 25 or 28mm tyres degrade like this with people who let their tyres drop to below 80PSI and then when they pump them up take them to 120+PSI. Do that on a regular enough basis of over-inflating and they start to crack and peel. Having said that the photos do look more like heat damage. Maybe a combination of hot shed and over-inflation? Conti 4-season are a softer rubber than GP4000 or Gatorskins so might be more prone.

I understand this feeling. You are basically just getting dressed before you have fully cooled down. Cooling down in high temps seems to take me a lot of time. I can feel it happening in stages, which once I noticed, I was able to identify pretty effectively. After the shower, I stand under the aircon set on cold with no clothed on. That cools me down, but there is still another stage after this where my body goes from having the skin cooled, to having the core fully reduced. I keep sweating until I get past this stage. Putting clothes on before this has happened prolongs things and just makes me sweat into whatever I have put on.

Any nice approaches to cooling down more efficiently?
Bath of cold water. Sit down in that for a few minutes and your core temp will come down much quicker than any amount of time in the shower. I run one bath a week in summer and immerse myself after showering. After a week it's warmed up too much to be refreshing any more.

Bath of cold water. Sit down in that for a few minutes and your core temp will come down much quicker than any amount of time in the shower. I run one bath a week in summer and immerse myself after showering. After a week it's warmed up too much to be refreshing any more.

That does sound rather nice. Unfortunately, the wife runs a bath every day and although she keeps the water for the washing machine the next day, the water is still pretty warm in the morning.

I understand this feeling. You are basically just getting dressed before you have fully cooled down. Cooling down in high temps seems to take me a lot of time. I can feel it happening in stages, which once I noticed, I was able to identify pretty effectively. After the shower, I stand under the aircon set on cold with no clothed on. That cools me down, but there is still another stage after this where my body goes from having the skin cooled, to having the core fully reduced. I keep sweating until I get past this stage. Putting clothes on before this has happened prolongs things and just makes me sweat into whatever I have put on.

Yeah, I hear you on this too. Sometimes, I appear at the family breakfast with just a towel until I feel I've stopped sweating. I guess I gotta get up earlier to have more time. As a single guy I was used to up and gone in less than 30 minutes. Now with 1 kid, it takes 90 minimum. Anyway, it's all about cooling down the core. I think I'll order an industrial fan as recommended by @GrantT .

Back
Top Bottom