What's new

Help The Helpful Thread

The bike you are looking at is a CX bike. That's why it has a 36/46 chainset.

Sounds like you had a good run with your Felt. 9 years and thousands of miles is more than most bikes do for their owners. Perhaps it deserves its retirement , and you a shiny new bike.

How tall are you?

Why don't you buy a nice steel frame and swap all your felt parts on to it, or really treat yourself and get all new components too.

The Felt is a 9 speed and its getting harder to find 9 speed stuff so probably a good time to upgrade anyway. Otherwise, I'd probably swap things out.

I'm just short of 6'. Usually take a 56 or 57 frame.

Went to the Trek store out in Sagamiono the other day and they don't have the 520 steel frame. Bummer. My Japanese is not great but when I asked about ordering, it seemed like it would be very 'difficult'. Double bummer.

The Felt is a 9 speed and its getting harder to find 9 speed stuff so probably a good time to upgrade anyway. Otherwise, I'd probably swap things out.

I'm just short of 6'. Usually take a 56 or 57 frame.

Went to the Trek store out in Sagamiono the other day and they don't have the 520 steel frame. Bummer. My Japanese is not great but when I asked about ordering, it seemed like it would be very 'difficult'. Double bummer.
Any reason you aren't looking at a carbon bike?

If you want an Alu frame, then this would be worth looking at

https://www.canyon.com/en-jp/road/endurace/2016/endurace-al-7-0.html

It's not disc though.

If you wanted disc and didn't mind getting a carbon frame, you will probably never see a better deal than this though. The owner is a bit demented so you'd better get it quick before he comes to his senses and adds a couple of hundred thousand to the asking price ;)

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/...apse-hi-mod-disc-da-di2-or-mech-ultegra.7005/

My price range for a new steed is 150 to 200k. My riding is more like that of an old duffer who just enjoys the ride and likes comfort more than speed. Not too worried about extra weight of steel and I figure the extra weight just makes me stronger. Carbon doesn't fit my budget or fit the potential touring plans I have for next year. I've pretty much decided to go with steel frame and disc brakes. But, thanks for passing along the links to those carbon bikes. They sure look nice!
If your budget is 150-200K , why have you been looking at the inflite AL9 at 221,000 (plus 20,000 delivery plus around 10,000 import tax)?
The carbon bike I posted would work out cheaper quite a bit cheaper than the AL9 with the "budget" setup ;)
But by all means, go for a steel frame. You wouldn't get me on a steel frame though ;).

If your budget is 150-200K , why have you been looking at the inflite AL9 at 221,000 (plus 20,000 delivery plus around 10,000 import tax)?
The carbon bike I posted would work out cheaper quite a bit cheaper than the AL9 with the "budget" setup ;)
But by all means, go for a steel frame. You wouldn't get me on a steel frame though ;).

I guess I'm retro. I've always loved the ride on a steel bike.

You're probably right about the price. The Inflite AL9 was at the upper end of the range (er... 20k above) and I really didn't factor in shipping + taxes.

Last time I thought about a carbon frame was many years ago. At the time they were very expensive and seemed easy to break. Guess I still have that impression... even if those days are probably long past. One other factor is the touring possibilities. I'd be afraid of using such a beautiful bike as a touring bike and that's an option I want to keep open.

@Karl 9 years is acceptable for an aluminium frame. Nothing lasts forever*

If I was you, I would get a carbon frame. They are seriously strong nowadays.

Not enough in the budget for 2 bikes and I wouldn't try to have a carbon bike become a dual-use bike when one of the uses would be touring. For now, I'll use my 1989 Panasonic steel frame 10 speed for Saturdays and use my 1995 Panasonic 'tank' for local commuting.

But, out of curiosity, what is the ride like on a carbon bike? I heard they are pretty stiff. If true, that's good for power but not so good for comfort.

But, out of curiosity, what is the ride like on a carbon bike? I heard they are pretty stiff. If true, that's good for power but not so good for comfort.

This is largely due to the design of the structure, and use of the material, rather than anything inherent with the material itself. With a high end carbon frame, the stiffness is designed in, rather than being something that exists because it is made of carbon. The nature of the material allows for extremely detailed design, in all parts of the frame, at a very high resolution. Also, there are many (many) different variations of 'carbon' which are used in frame manufacture. The resin plays as much a part as the carbon fibre itself.

That gives you no answer, I realise, so as a very very general bit of opinion, based on the carbon frames I have ridden, they ride like this...

Kind of a hollow, muted plasticky feel, but without the flex you would associate with a 'plastic'. Oddly futuristic, almost numb feeling compared to aluminium, and a lot lighter and hilariously nimble compared to steel. The fitter you get and the more you put through them, the more you appreciate how rad they are. Well designed, well made carbon frames just don't ever give way, regardless of the force being delivered. If you play golf, baseball or do archery, it is the same as metal vs carbon in those sports. When I got on my first carbon frame, it was almost an anti-climax; I suppose I was expecting it to feel completely different to aluminium. It was only after I put in some distance, and re-rode my old aluminium frame that I realised how much better it was.

Thinking of trying route 76 tomorrow. Looking at the map, it kinda disappears then reappears later. Can you do 76 without benefit of a mountain bike?

Thinking of trying route 76 tomorrow. Looking at the map, it kinda disappears then reappears later. Can you do 76 without benefit of a mountain bike?
If you mean Kanagawa Prefectural route 76 (and I think you do) then I know people who have done it on road tyres but their nerves were shattered. There are several kilometres of fire track on the northeast side leading up to the 2-km unlit tunnel. Great fun with gravel-capable tyres. Watch out for bears!

I wonder if anyone has sent their bikebags with Takkyubin service?

Especially if the package exceeds total dimensions of 160cm. I wonder if they in general has exception for that as for golf bags:

"
  • Parcels larger than size 160 are not accepted. However, golf bags, skis, and snowboards which exceed 160 cm may be accepted if they weigh 25 kg or less.
"
Regards, Christopher

I wonder if anyone has sent their bikebags with Takkyubin service?

Especially if the package exceeds total dimensions of 160cm. I wonder if they in general has exception for that as for golf bags:

"
  • Parcels larger than size 160 are not accepted. However, golf bags, skis, and snowboards which exceed 160 cm may be accepted if they weigh 25 kg or less.
"
Regards, Christopher
Wouldn't risk a bike bag in the post. In my experience, Japan Post and Yamato handle their packages very carefully, but still. Any reason you can't grab a box and post it that way? Yamato have a service that is dirt cheap if you're willing to post a box as "bike parts." http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/yamatobin/yamatobin.html
I sent a guitar speaker cab with a massive 15" JLB speaker in it and it cost next to nothing to post to Fukuoka from Tokyo. They don't accept music equipment or amplifiers and the ilk, so I just packed it well, double-boxed it and wrote it up as a "キャビネット"

Edit: JBL speaker. Tut tut.

Last edited:
I once takkyubin'd a loaded touring bike from Ajigasawa (north of Mt. Iwaki) to Kanazawa. Fully assembled and with two medium-ish panniers on the back. They rolled it away, and it came off the truck the same way at my house two days later. No damage or missing thingies at all.

Expensive tho, I think it was 12-13,000 yen.

Waterproof jacket recommendations?

My favourite Fox Vapor rain jacket has finally disintegrated - the membrane came away from the mesh on the back. I've had it for 6 years and it's seen a lot of use. Light; packable; comfortable; inexpensive. I could get the same thing from eBay but would pay a lot for postage. Something similar would be nice, I think. But I'm interested to hear what folk have bought recently and had good (or dreadful) results with.

20130727-135646-SOCCIN13-joe.JPG

RIP Fox Vapor. Sterling service in Nagano, 2013

I have a craft one, that I have been very happy with. Folds up into its own pocket. Fits well without too much excess flapping and has a comfortable collar and fits snugly at the wrists. No complaints.

Any ideas the cheapest place to by a single campy wheel? Most of the big internet chains only seem to do sets.

guys and gals

After a run in I have damaged my bike .. it's just a Scott Sub 30 but I have damaged the front wheel and the crankset

The crankset is a Shimano FC-191, 48/38/28 but I can't find it anywhere and the wheels as well 700c x 32 .. 32 Spoke with Scott SCO 31 hubs

Can anyone suggest a replacement parts

Hi, My name is Danny Hennessy and I'm an Australian Cyclist. I am coming to Japan in August to do some cycling around . I will be riding from Takasaki to Matsumoto between the dates Tuesday the 15th August and Sunday the 20th of August. I'm looking for a person who can drive a car for those dates and simply take luggage for two cyclists while they ride their bikes.An opportunity to make some extra money and have a small holiday. Payments will be supplied . Please see the details below regarding the payments. Looking forward to meeting new and interesting people and having them part of our group for this period. regards Danny Hennessy. Itinerary for Driver/Helper Tuesday 15th August- Meet cyclists (and pick up Hire car if needed) @ Takasaki Washington Hotel Plaza. Ride Takasaki to Kusatsu 90 kms approx Accommodation @ Kusatsu Wednesday 16th August - Kusatsu – Loop from Kusatsu back to Kusatsu 100kms Accommodation @Kusatsu Thursday 17th August- Kusatsu – Nagano- Hakuba 120kms Accommodation @Hakuba Friday 18th August Hakuba loop back to Hakuba 100kms Accommodation @Hakuba Saturday 19th August – Hakuba - Norikura Accommodation @ Norikura 120kms Sunday 20th August Norikura to Matsumoto 140kms Ride to the top of Norikua ( 2700m) Accommodation @Matsumoto Accommodation supplied. Meals provided.Eating at restaurant each night. Payment per day – JPY 5,000 – or Payment per day with your own car provided – JPY 10,000- * Petrol fee will be provided separately. * Normal car size is ok to deliver only 2 suit cases with 2 bike soft bags. If you don't provide your own car, train ticket fee will be provided to Takasaki and return from Matsumoto. Duties: Pick up Hire car from the hire car depot ( If required) Drive car behind riders occasionally. Drive to set designated location or drive directly to Town/City/Hotel.my email address is [email protected] Doesn't have to be a cyclist. Any friend or relative is fine.

Back
Top Bottom