What's new

Today January 2018

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
(don't everyone jump in at once...)

Reactions: PSB
Got a daughter, her hubby and grand-daughter coming in tomorrow (after their visit to his family), and after a couple days of that will have space to set up the trainer again.

So the numbers from last year are in off Strava:

Avg dist. / week - 305km

Time - 501h 4m

Distance - 13,112km

Elev Gain - 127,781 m

First ever Strava challenge accepted - rapha festive 500

Completed in the rain and snow Dec 31st 189.2 pancake flat solo ride.

All the best to you guys for 2018 - those I've met and those yet to meet.

Good effort Perry! I didn't know you rode that much!

I ended up on 10500km and 76000m climbing. A good amount for me to balance work, family and riding. I'll aim for something similar this year.

Hopefully with a few big rides and new destinations.

I'm enjoying the Aussie summer right now, with some beachside riding!

FB367722-73E3-4B60-8706-F1C516EBFD28.jpeg F3A51F02-DD6D-42C4-A340-48D05CE8350C.jpeg
8228A65D-7FBC-4C11-80C0-194F36F2E855.jpeg
11746B4F-1059-4329-8E24-852DA5488695.jpeg
So the numbers from last year are in off Strava:

Avg dist. / week - 305km

Time - 501h 4m

Distance - 13,112km

Elev Gain - 127,781 m

First ever Strava challenge accepted - rapha festive 500

Completed in the rain and snow Dec 31st 189.2 pancake flat solo ride.

All the best to you guys for 2018 - those I've met and those yet to meet.

New Years Day I took a scary tumble. Today I got on the commuter... while sore, I was capable of riding. Yesterday was just not worth it.
I have 3 bruises with the shortest being 25cm long - one on my right thigh, one on my left ass/back and the last on my abdomen/sternum.
In the end, it isn't too bad, but it could have been much worse. Hopefully the trail gods are happy and I can have an incident free 2018.

Good effort Perry! I didn't know you rode that much!

I ended up on 10500km and 76000m climbing. A good amount for me to balance work, family and riding. I'll aim for something similar this year.

Hopefully with a few big rides and new destinations.

I'm enjoying the Aussie summer right now, with some beachside riding!

View attachment 16070 View attachment 16071
View attachment 16072
View attachment 16073

Thx - it would be nice to have more time to ride wouldn't it.

Like, basically had to do the bulk of the festive 500 on two days because of work.

Totals include an 11k one way flat commute a couple times or more a week too. Also indoor zwift. So I don't ride as much as it seems? Well, the commute is pretty full on actually lol guess I'd call it a 30 min sprint.

Must be nice out there in summer. Ps Loose the beardy beard and the stache would be so fresh.

New Years Day I took a scary tumble. Today I got on the commuter... while sore, I was capable of riding. Yesterday was just not worth it.
I have 3 bruises with the shortest being 25cm long - one on my right thigh, one on my left ass/back and the last on my abdomen/sternum.
In the end, it isn't too bad, but it could have been much worse. Hopefully the trail gods are happy and I can have an incident free 2018.

Wow! Front and back bruises. How'd you do that?

Hope no broken bones.

Yeah! Life is tough out here....

59AA1F17-CA56-4AB7-8B61-C94CFAB77A2D.jpeg

Thx - it would be nice to have more time to ride wouldn't it.

Like, basically had to do the bulk of the festive 500 on two days because of work.

Totals include an 11k one way flat commute a couple times or more a week too. Also indoor zwift. So I don't ride as much as it seems? Well, the commute is pretty full on actually lol guess I'd call it a 30 min sprint.

Must be nice out there in summer. Ps Loose the beardy beard and the stache would be so fresh.

Wow! Front and back bruises. How'd you do that?

Hope no broken bones.

Karl,
It was a two part cliff. The initial fall was about 2m and I landed on my back, left side. Luckily I had a camelbak on that has a built in back protector. The fabric of the bag is ripped and I got the bruise on my left leg/butt/back. The bike was a little delayed on following me and bounced off my sternum, but since I still had momentum, I was only on that cliff long enough to slide off and take another 3m fall. This time I landed on the other side and the bike came back down on top of me again. I was able to grab a tree stump before taking the next tumble down.

It was all error on my part that caused the crash. I was a touch too close to the rider in front and had to brake on a section I needed to get momentum on. The lose of speed was just enough I was unable to clear a section I have ridden a half dozen times before.

In the end, the two guys behind me witnessed it and were amazed I not only didn't break bones, but was able to finish out the ride. A week later, the bruises are even darker, but the tenderness has gone away. I did a 15km MTB ride yesterday and overall am unaffected. Hopefully I am done with big crashes for the year. :(

Sounds like something out of a cartoon... bonk, bonk, bonk (except for the part about the bruises). Hope you've got that out of your system now and the rest of the year will be crash-free.

So yesterday I am hanging the tv on my bike rack. My wife comes in with my daughter and they are playing on the floor outside "the castle" - when my wife says to me "are these all your bikes" - I stop and turn to look at her and she is looking up at the rack. I immediately respond "no" and then point to my commuter resting against the wall. My wife then repeats the question with a different inflection.... I then realize what she meant. I respond with "they aren't all mine, your salsa is up there too" - she just kinda drops a "hmmm... I think you have enough"

I sigh and continue hanging the TV. I then respond with my back to her - "I have one for every day of the week. Don't forget I just sold the one I didn't use"

I never turned back around... but I did realize my wife has no idea what bikes I own....

I'm telling myself today that shoveling is good cross training... :crafty:

Hopefully she doesn't work out the cost also :innocent:

Maybe you need something attractive on the opposite wall to steal away the gaze. Great castle btw.

So yesterday I am hanging the tv on my bike rack. My wife comes in with my daughter and they are playing on the floor outside "the castle" - when my wife says to me "are these all your bikes" - I stop and turn to look at her and she is looking up at the rack. I immediately respond "no" and then point to my commuter resting against the wall. My wife then repeats the question with a different inflection.... I then realize what she meant. I respond with "they aren't all mine, your salsa is up there too" - she just kinda drops a "hmmm... I think you have enough"

I sigh and continue hanging the TV. I then respond with my back to her - "I have one for every day of the week. Don't forget I just sold the one I didn't use"

I never turned back around... but I did realize my wife has no idea what bikes I own....

So did a ride this past weekend. I rode a loop I have no done in possibly 2 years? Holy crap! I forgot how fun it was. I think I rode it so much, riding anything else was exciting. But after hitting it again, it will be back on my list of loops to do at least once a month.

Today I commuted to work and was overtaken by a car as it had its blinker on to turn left... If I was going straight, I would have hit him, but I was planning on turning left too.
I yelled at him and his wife looked over terrified as if they didn't even see me there... How do I know it was his wife? I work with them. I avoided contact with them all day to keep my job.

Tonight, to get out some pent up anxiety - I set up the trainer with a goal of just knocking out 500 calories. How do you guys do this? BORING AS SHIT! (just music and fresh air from the window as entertainment)
I do need to tweak the set up a little. The tire would slip a little if I upped the pace and I have a small black streak of rubber behind the trainer. First time back on a trainer in considerable time. Also first time in a road kit in considerably time. No wonder I prefer mountain biking.... :D

So did a ride this past weekend. I rode a loop I have no done in possibly 2 years? Holy crap! I forgot how fun it was. I think I rode it so much, riding anything else was exciting. But after hitting it again, it will be back on my list of loops to do at least once a month.

Today I commuted to work and was overtaken by a car as it had its blinker on to turn left... If I was going straight, I would have hit him, but I was planning on turning left too.
I yelled at him and his wife looked over terrified as if they didn't even see me there... How do I know it was his wife? I work with them. I avoided contact with them all day to keep my job.

Tonight, to get out some pent up anxiety - I set up the trainer with a goal of just knocking out 500 calories. How do you guys do this? BORING AS SHIT! (just music and fresh air from the window as entertainment)
I do need to tweak the set up a little. The tire would slip a little if I upped the pace and I have a small black streak of rubber behind the trainer. First time back on a trainer in considerable time. Also first time in a road kit in considerably time. No wonder I prefer mountain biking.... :D
Great story.
Glad you burnt off that pent up anxiety and I hope your boss was as embarrassed as you were,even though you did nothing wrong, for driving like an ass.

500 calories on a trainer is about 40 to 60 mins depending on intensity?

YouTube vlogs, music, podcasts?

Zwift helps.

I got some cheap Bluetooth headphones off amazon which makes the audio effect more engaging than speakers (which depending on your trainer may need to be a bit loud?)

500 calories on a trainer is about 40 to 60 mins depending on intensity?

YouTube vlogs, music, podcasts?

Zwift helps.

I got some cheap Bluetooth headphones off amazon which makes the audio effect more engaging than speakers (which depending on your trainer may need to be a bit loud?)

I was able to do 500 in just over 30 minutes. Kept the pace above 33kph the entire time and spun up to 40 at times. I spent more time looking at my heart rate than anything else.
My music selection was good... but I couldn't help but wish I was actually outside vs the trainer.

I was able to do 500 in just over 30 minutes. Kept the pace above 33kph the entire time and spun up to 40 at times. I spent more time looking at my heart rate than anything else.
My music selection was good... but I couldn't help but wish I was actually outside vs the trainer.

Don't want to sound like a broken record but zwift + smart trainer will make you feel like you're outside quite a bit. (What you see on the screen is what you feel in the legs, automatically - this is the key thing)

Back
Top Bottom