What's new

Today February 2018

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
After my near death experience at the hands of a ojisan in a van that failed to notice me in the pre dawn. I bought a new more visible kit for my morning rides...
May I present the new kit!!

FFCFA978-5844-42B1-8AAE-9863EFB73FB8.jpeg

It arrived last week but I only got out today after being in bed with influenza for almost a week... seriously... no fun. Anyway, tons of sideways looks from Ojisans who really didn't seem to know what to make of me. So mission accomplished!!!!

Wow, that's an impressive amount of snow. Here in Sendai most of the snow has melted away … :(

Ha ha ha! Yeah the world stops when we get 20cm. I feel for you over that side. Snow all winter, rain and wind the rest of the year.
How have you not packed up and moved on by now?

Is that snow there? (the Tokyo version?)

Here's a couple hours ago, just before I took over. The wife had shoveled some and had come in to get ready to go to work. 55-60cm.

View attachment 16130

I think I may have seen theBlob parking his bike a couple of weeks ago...would have known for sure had it been that kit!

Oh wow! Where do you live? Gotta be on the Sea of Japan side, or up in Aomori/Hokkaido?

Kanazawa. According to the news/jma, Fukui-shi got 50-60cm more than here. Also, I'm wondering about @andywood and @kiwisimon --both further north. The cause is a low pressure center off the west coast of hokkaido that's just parked, not moving away at all.

So we're still getting bombed, tomorrow morning might be a repeat. Or worse--I can shovel it, but the problem will be where to put it.

Unlikely my friend! But next time you think you see me be sure to come and say hello!

I think I may have seen theBlob parking his bike a couple of weeks ago...would have known for sure had it been that kit!

Unlikely my friend! But next time you think you see me be sure to come and say hello!
I will do so! If it wasn't you (parking your bike on the outskirts of a certain entertainment district beginning with R), you have a doppelganger!

It seems Strava have responded to the Heat Map business by taking lesser ridden segments (seems to be less than a few hundred efforts) off the segment explorer function (where I am that's 99% of the segments). It makes finding new places to ride / seeing if passes are open or not a bit of a ballache so I sent them a message and this is what they had to say;

"Thanks for reaching out. We are reviewing features that were originally designed for athlete motivation and inspiration to ensure they cannot be compromised by people with bad intent. "

It seems Strava have responded to the Heat Map business by taking lesser ridden segments (seems to be less than a few hundred efforts) off the segment explorer function (where I am that's 99% of the segments). It makes finding new places to ride / seeing if passes are open or not a bit of a ballache so I sent them a message and this is what they had to say;

"Thanks for reaching out. We are reviewing features that were originally designed for athlete motivation and inspiration to ensure they cannot be compromised by people with bad intent. "
Yeah, they definitely need to refine it but I had the opposite problem. I tried using it to see if I could spot a good route out west from north-east Tokyo that plenty of cyclists use but there are so many cyclists that everything is lit up like a Christmas tree. It would be useful if they had a slider to make it more or less sensitive rather than "heat opacity" which just seems to be how much you want it to damage your eyes.

Kanazawa. According to the news/jma, Fukui-shi got 50-60cm more than here. Also, I'm wondering about @andywood and @kiwisimon --both further north. The cause is a low pressure center off the west coast of hokkaido that's just parked, not moving away at all.

So we're still getting bombed, tomorrow morning might be a repeat. Or worse--I can shovel it, but the problem will be where to put it.

27540182_10156427136662223_4666076941607360641_n.jpg

A big dump here over the last few days. Luckily we have onsen water sprinklers around the house so not too much digging in the morning.

27459801_10156425262987223_733145928066703834_n.jpg

<< onsen sprinklers keeping the man cave open for business!>>

I've been getting to work via a combintation of walking and snowshoeing. "Free training" I believe they call it!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Definitely not me! Never been in Roppongi on a bike. Not even once.

I will do so! If it wasn't you (parking your bike on the outskirts of a certain entertainment district beginning with R), you have a doppelganger!

So... just upped my MTB game.
Took my 29x2.4 wheels off and mounted up a set of 29x3.0s.

Um... wow!

27545365_10156003578962808_307227742884077156_n.jpg

27657504_10156003578527808_5107470052882972046_n.jpg

Kanazawa. According to the news/jma, Fukui-shi got 50-60cm more than here. Also, I'm wondering about @andywood and @kiwisimon --both further north..
Thanks, here on the eastern side of Aomori it's just too cold and dry to get much snow (love orography). WE generally get dumps in March up to 50 or 60cms sometimes, when the air warms up and gets moister. Yesterday we had 10 cms of sweet dry sqeaky powder that would be perfect for boarding if my knee was up to it. Half of it has melted away already. Stay safe over there on the wet side.

had a bright idea of changing over my mtb air shocks to the same-measured coil shocks. bought coil shock from the US last year, brought them to a certified fox overhaul center back in the philippines and had it brought back here pretty excited. also learned about suspension bushings and how to replace them, shock measurements, etc.. along the way.

had the shock ready and offered it up to the bike yesterday and lo and behold, it is longer than 8.5. it is 8.75 i21. to be fair, i did not measure it when i received it, i trusted the seller over at ebay.

so if anybody is in the market for an 8.75 i2i shock, let me know i can sell it to you cheap.

Back
Top Bottom