What's new

Tech Bike weight scales

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
I'm thinking of getting one of those weighing scales which hook up under the top tube and digitally weigh the total bike setup. Any recommendations (that can be easily obtained in Japan)? I see a lot of Chinese stuff on amazon.jp but would prefer something a bit more reliable.

My bathroom scale only goes to tenths per kilo, but that's enough for me - what kind of accuracy do you need?

probably the best you can get, metric or pounds
https://www.bulkkidffa.top/seikatu-souko/item-usdmb0011vq1ua.html
31lzh1tt40l.jpg

Last edited:
I have some similar to these. The cheapo Chinese ones you referred to. They are absolutely perfect for weighing bikes. They are bang on when I compare them to our tanita kitchen scales.

Amazon product ASIN
Or you could order the Park tool ones for 24 times the price and get the same readings. Although the park tool does have a nice hanger/hook onthose scales.
Amazon product ASIN

a luggage scale from alibaba should do the trick. Unless you plan to use it for other purposes?

I second the suggestion to use a luggage scale. That'll also be handy for, well, weighing luggage which you might do more often than weighing your bike. I hope

It's silly to buy a bike scale unless you're weighing bikes constantly like the GCN guys. Just use a digital bathroom scale with 50-gram resolution.

Most bathroom scales only show 100 g resolution. Luggage scales are plentiful for round about 1,000 ¥ or less.

Most bathroom scales only show 100 g resolution. Luggage scales are plentiful for round about 1,000 ¥ or less.

Mine (2000 yen) shows 50 g resolution under 100 kg... unfortunately I have never benefited from this feature.

OTOH, if you're worrying about grams on a bike you should be measuring each component with a postage scale, unless you're worried about UCI regulations...

Basically a gram-accurate bike scale is purely for true weight weenies.

If anything, an accurate bathroom scale is far more important for cyclists!

Wow, I get back from work and there's more work piled up here to go through!! ahhahhahahaha thanks for the input

Basically, the purpose of this is to compare the actual weight of different bikes I'm considering as an upgrade from my current one. I want to go as light as possible without really breaking the bank, and I want a device that's small enough I can take it with me to shops etc. and it's consistent to its own previous readings. Glad to hear people have positive experiences with these cheap ones, I just didn't know how trustworthy they are. I'll sift through the actual linked ones later, but I think I have more than enough to make a decision now! Much appreciated

I'm not sure they'll let you walk around in bike shops with a scale just to test how light the bikes really are. ;)

What bike do you have, what is your budget and what weight do you aim for?

Really the only difference comes down to frame +fork weight, everything else from wheels to groupset is a known quantity.

I'm not in a rush to buy or anything. It's more like I'm waiting for a really good deal to come along, it can be six months, a year, I don't care. Just got new wheels so it'd be good if I can find a frameset only, rather than full build (with wheels). I'm also looking into trading my current bike up, maybe through one of the second hand dealers, lots of options around. In any case, I have operational weight of just over 9 kg now (incl 2 lights, pump & CO2 cartridge, comp & sensors, pedals, bottle cages, full saddle bag, bell, but no bidons) and am looking at going down to 7.5 kg or less. I don't think I'm weight weeny as such, it's just I love the looks and feel of those slim climbing bikes (otoh, not really into bulky aero frames etc.)

I'm not in a rush to buy or anything. It's more like I'm waiting for a really good deal to come along, it can be six months, a year, I don't care.
Well, that didn't take long. I have found a very good deal and pulled a trigger (tied the knot idiom is closer to how I feel actually) today, just 3 days from the above post. Did not even have the time to buy a scales (not that I'm gonna need them anyway, cause it's gonna be as light as they come - and more. Watch this space) haha

Well, that didn't take long. I have found a very good deal and pulled a trigger (tied the knot idiom is closer to how I feel actually) today, just 3 days from the above post. Did not even have the time to buy a scales (not that I'm gonna need them anyway, cause it's gonna be as light as they come - and more. Watch this space) haha
At least give us a hint

ok, hm.... it's a high end thing, known not only for its light weight but also stiffness, comfort and (sorta) aero. and it's super ;)

Unfortunatelly, could not find just the frameset. But it's OK in this case, because I'm really sold on their holistic system, designing seat post, BB, chainrings and cranks as all part of the same system rather than throwing bunch of randomly collected stuff on the frame.

It's an actual shop, and their policy was personal pick-up only. It's a bit far (Osaka), so I've tested the same size bike here in Tokyo and fit is perfect, just as geometry suggested 52. Still have to haggle over details like payment, build (they have it disassembled in a storage and will now have to order the groupset (R8000) before building it up for me. Then it's either me going personally to Osaka for it, or they sending it over. Not sure which better actually, spending like 3man to go there and back, or allowing such a delicate thing to be handled by something called kangaroo courier service hahhaha

Back
Top Bottom