What's new

New Oakleys

Wow *crickets* on the Oakleys eh?

Well that's the verdict then! Not exactly sure whether that applies to the shades or my shady reputation on this board tho. (Don't worry, I can take it. Boohooo!!)

Might be nice when your head is down as they have no top frame to get in the way when you look up.

Haha thanks guys - but now I fee like an ******* because in hindsight it's like I only brought up the topic to poo all over them - I knew straight away I thought they were going to take some serious getting used to and I'm still not sure that's going to happen.

For some reason they remind me of that line of Oakley's massive snow goggles, those globey astronaut ones Whatever the case, not a very constructive topic!

That style has been gaining momentum and I think that's why these are the new line. Doesn't work for me and that nose thing is a gimmick too far

That style has been gaining momentum and I think that's why these are the new line. Doesn't work for me and that nose thing is a gimmick too far

Yeah for real eh. But I really didn't follow the "if you've got nothing nice to say say ..." advice did I!

But kind of feels like everything is getting out of hand with bike stuff these days - just watched Cycling Weekly's review of the SL6 - and I'm sure it's a great bike but it's 1.2M yen or something! And that whole speil about non-gender specific bikes now just kind of reeks. Like sure, why the gender specific geometries in the first place yeah and now how they frame the return to non-gender specific geo - so fake.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the new Oakleys, the price of the new SL6 (Tarmac?) or gender specific frames now? ;)

I just buy $30 sunglasses on Wiggle because I can't afford to lose a $200 pair of Oakleys... also because cycling-specific Oakleys are fugly.

I'm confused. Are we talking about the new Oakleys, the price of the new SL6 (Tarmac?) or gender specific frames now? ;)

Ha ha yeah... well if I'm gonna be wildly judgmental I also might as well run fast and loose with the topics too right??

But while I'm on the topic (and being judgmental) of that (Tarmac) sl6 thing, like they go "starting with BMC all the big manufacturers (in pursuit of similar performance outcomes) arrived at the same sort of design..." referring to the low seatstays- all I see into that is more like "that's just what's in style now" like who are they kidding

I just buy $30 sunglasses on Wiggle because I can't afford to lose a $200 pair of Oakleys... also because cycling-specific Oakleys are fugly.

I see what you mean, but also in terms of personal experience, one part of my face that's not hacked up is my eyes - jawbreaker lenses held up amazingly well for going through a car windshield. Not smashed or shattered, just harshly scraped - every bit as important as my helmet was (or most likely even more) in that particular crash.

I won't go cheap on lenses ever again is what I decided after that but do what you like.

On cloudy days I wear workshop safety glasses that my dad got at work (physics technician) They look a bit like these ones but only cost about 2 pound (UK) from his school's order catalogue:

717R-Z73CwL._SL1500_.jpg

Safety wise I think they're probably not bad seeing as they're designed to block flying debris.

On cloudy days I wear workshop safety glasses that my dad got at work (physics technician) They look a bit like these ones but only cost about 2 pound (UK) from his school's order catalogue:

717R-Z73CwL._SL1500_.jpg

Safety wise I think they're probably not bad seeing as they're designed to block flying debris.

Very nice!

Oakley's and any other brand that charges that kind of money is running a racket. The mark up on these things is bullshit. Not to mention the lame look and aesthetics. It is a joke and feel for anyone who pays that kind of money for them. Doesn't make you ride any better and just makes you look silly.

Oops did I just say all that or was I thinking it?

:warau::warau:
Oakley's and any other brand that charges that kind of money is running a racket. The mark up on these things is bullshit. Not to mention the lame look and aesthetics. It is a joke and feel for anyone who pays that kind of money for them. Doesn't make you ride any better and just makes you look silly.

This made me chuckle, coming from the guy with a Speedvagen :D .
I actually quite like Oakley glasses. I've had three pairs of Oakleys over the last 25 years and liked all of them. If you look on the internet, you can get pretty good deals. I've had my current pair for about 6 years and they have performed brilliantly since day one. My tifosi glasses, that I bought about 8 years ago, broke about 5 years ago. My next pair will most probably be Oakleys again at a whopping 12,000 yen. Pretty damn good value if they last me around 8 to 10 years. Not sure why you feel for people like me who spend 1200-1500 yen per year on Oakleys. Regarding the lame look and aesthetics, it's all personal. Lots of people like them, some hate them. There are some models I don't like but others that I do.

Don't disagree that it's a racket of sorts they're running.

But coming from Canada I constantly feel annoyed with that ever present double standard (or a racket if you want to call it that but I think it's not quite the same) that people somehow insist on perpetuating regarding bicycle crash helmets.

Like, take ice skating for example - families spend public skate there like every weekend and I don't remember a helmet in sight and I doubt there are now. Mittens and a touque and out the kids go. Regularly see adults and kids alike losing their balance and doing the windmill then slamming heads on rock hard ice, lying still for a while, shaking it off, then getting back to eating licorice and doing laps.

Those same families look like American gladiators when they do a grassy ride though the local park in the summer. Not trying to say it's safe either way, just that people are weird. They see wha t they want tor see and they believe what they want to believe.

So oakleys? Overpriced I recon too and the style is hit and miss.

But as I said I'm aslso convinced they saved further injury to my eyes in the last crash.

Also; as J M pointed out before it's not necessarily oakleys you need for protection either.

Anyways, my complaint isn't about sunglasses or helmets, but just that I do get annoyed by shitty and to me obvious double standards that people do.(are oblivious to??)

From the perspective of someone who wears regular glasses, I don't think Oakley frames are that expensive, they cost about same or less than what you pay for a quality non-sports frame. And if you have experience with corrective eyewear, then what is and isn't cheap and the feeling where you are and aren't fleeced are quite different. My lenses usually cost ~50,000 ¥ alone, and >10,000 ¥ is spent on coatings (e. g. to improve scratch resistance) that should be included by default anyway. The cost for the frame is much less important once you include the cost of the corrective lenses. Note that fit is much, much more important if you wear corrective lenses, because if the glasses don't sit where they are supposed to, you literally won't be able to see straight ;)

Of course, with glasses there is always an element of fashion, and in some cases you pay for design and not functionality. But if something is permanently affixed to your face, in plain sight of everyone, you'd like to look good.

I have tried cheaper frames and glasses, but they'd usually last much less and would not fit as well as more expensive frames. You get what you pay for. And if you buy cheap lab goggles and use them for cycling, great, if that works for you. But you don't have any UV coating or sun blocking.

Coming back to Oakleys, their design language does not appeal to me (to say the least), I find most of their glasses quite 1990s and ugly. I prefer simple, clean designs. However, that's an academic discussion, because their Asian fit frames don't fit my (non-Asian) face anyway.

From the perspective of someone who wears regular glasses, I don't think Oakley frames are that expensive, they cost about same or less than what you pay for a quality non-sports frame. And if you have experience with corrective eyewear, then what is and isn't cheap and the feeling where you are and aren't fleeced are quite different. My lenses usually cost ~50,000 ¥ alone, and >10,000 ¥ is spent on coatings (e. g. to improve scratch resistance) that should be included by default anyway. The cost for the frame is much less important once you include the cost of the corrective lenses. Note that fit is much, much more important if you wear corrective lenses, because if the glasses don't sit where they are supposed to, you literally won't be able to see straight ;)

Of course, with glasses there is always an element of fashion, and in some cases you pay for design and not functionality. But if something is permanently affixed to your face, in plain sight of everyone, you'd like to look good.

I have tried cheaper frames and glasses, but they'd usually last much less and would not fit as well as more expensive frames. You get what you pay for. And if you buy cheap lab goggles and use them for cycling, great, if that works for you. But you don't have any UV coating or sun blocking.

Coming back to Oakleys, their design language does not appeal to me (to say the least), I find most of their glasses quite 1990s and ugly. I prefer simple, clean designs. However, that's an academic discussion, because their Asian fit frames don't fit my (non-Asian) face anyway.

Lab glasses have their rime and place - at night, not a bad idea really - keep them in a jersey pocket, not worrying so much about scratches etc and stick em on when the sun goes down on those longer days I- I could see me doing that.

Yeah that ASIAN FIT thing is a bit confusing. I've got (well used to have) 2 pairs of Jawbreakers - one ASIAN fit, one not - and honestly I never really felt a differrence in fit ( I Do have an asian face!) In face I took them apart and put the top white and bottom white together (to get the super pro look of course) and they're totally interechangable. I think there's a difference in th nose piece basically? Anyways both pairs fit basically the same.

My GIRO Vanquish helmet, which I imported from the US was obviously not ASIAN fit, but just by coincidence me and the GIRO guy in Japan got to comparing the ASIAN fit M and the US one, surprise surprise we coulnd't find a single difference between the two. The whole ASIAN fit thing is starting to sound like marketing BS but this is only based on limited data...

Back
Top Bottom