What's new

My Dream Bike / Bike Frame

armmewitharmony

Maximum Pace
Mar 10, 2014
Sorry everyone if I'm spamming the board with my own topics but I'm impatient and nobody else seems to be generating conversation.

So my question this evening is: What's your dream bike or at least dream frame?

Right now, if I could get anything it would be one of those BAUM frames from Australia or one of those Stelbel's maybe.

The paint on Field Cycles is straight popping and STOEMPER too.

I'd take an SL6 if it cost half as much as they do (which as I've tried to say before is what they're really worth in my mind). Or an ARGON 18 or Factor 2. C64,s are nice and so are those Derosa metal frames and also that PROTOS with the logo black and white scheme.

So basically, any nice bike pretty much. I'm that way with women too I think.. I'm shallow as shit!!

*edits for various drunk typing, spelling, syntax abnormalities

Last edited:
Please don't stop putting up new threads. You are definitely adding value to the forums and keeping me entertained.
Dreambike. I think I already have mine to be honest. If I could get another, I would get another Field, but one with wider tyres, perhaps 32mm so I could use it as gravel type of bike. If I couldn't wait to 2-3 years for a Field, I would probably go with a fully custom Stinner or Horse Cycles or even possibly a custom Ti firefly. Baum make nice bikes but I think there are other manufacturers out there making nicer bikes for a fraction of the cost. Those Baums are seriously expensive.

I don't have a specific bike in mind but my dream bike would be a one-bike-to-do-it-all bike that would last me a lifetime and would:

*have geometry that is comfortable on longer rides, (order made to fit me)
*light enough for good climbing & faster bits of road
*have a titanium or steel frame with S&S couplers
*have clearance for up to 35c tires
*have compact 50/34, and as long as money is no object, I'll take Dura-Ace (but I'd be fine with 105 or Ultegra)
*have rim brakes (no discs) and no electronic shifting
*lots of attachment points for carrying stuff on tours
*have no internal cable routing
*have flat bars
*have no paint so the frame can be seen
*have a cloak of invisibility so I can store my bike somewhere without fear of it being ripped off

Sure lke the Salsa Roadhouse from a couple years back...

Last edited:
*have a cloak of invisibility so I can store my bike somewhere without fear of it being ripped off

I think it's fair to expect that type of feature if we're paying [millions and billions] of yen for a *plain old* racing bike!

Please don't stop putting up new threads. You are definitely adding value to the forums and keeping me entertained.
Dreambike. I think I already have mine to be honest. If I could get another, I would get another Field, but one with wider tyres, perhaps 32mm so I could use it as gravel type of bike. If I couldn't wait to 2-3 years for a Field, I would probably go with a fully custom Stinner or Horse Cycles or even possibly a custom Ti firefly. Baum make nice bikes but I think there are other manufacturers out there making nicer bikes for a fraction of the cost. Those Baums are seriously expensive.

Yeah I don't know the details about BAUM pricing but they certainly look expensive... Stinner, Horse Cycles and Ti firefly - all nice choices! Does firefly make a titanium butted carbon bike? Not sure how well that works (didn't RITTE also try something a while back?) but it does look cool doesn't it.

same , keep posting. I have my dream bike made 10 years ago. Now I'd just like to get my knee working again.

Knee eh, that's a tough one.

I was having some knee trouble years back, it was cycling related, in the end it was incorrect saddle height - knees all good now.

How did you ratch your knee?

Torn meniscus playing soccer with some kids just before Xmas. I had it scoped but there was also some ACL and MCL damage the doc thinks will come right with time, he probably is right but recovery is slow and atrophy sucks. Back cycling slowly now. KT tape helps.

Torn meniscus playing soccer with some kids just before Xmas. I had it scoped but there was also some ACL and MCL damage the doc thinks will come right with time, he probably is right but recovery is slow and atrophy sucks. Back cycling slowly now. KT tape helps.
Ugh, that sucks. Did you have surgery?

The dream changes every 3 months! Which is why I have zero interest in anything custom :p
Right now I don't really see a frame I would exchange my current U.P. for... Well maybe an UPPER RTP or a 3T Explore LTD if I got one for free ;)

The list on dream parts though:
THM Cranks 1X
Mcfk Seatpost, maybe stem as well.
Berk Saddle
New XTR 12speed Di2 (Unreleased/unannounced)
Enve 4.5AR wheels for road
Enve G27 650b wheels for fun
... some new pedals, XTR or something else lite SPD:ish

Ah, dream bikes. As an allrounder, I'd get an Open UP, probably in blue, but perhaps also in green (depends on how yellow the green is, hard to tell from some photos). I'd get a not-yet-released SRAM 1x12 Force 1 with 42 crank up front, a 9-32 on my 700 c road carbon wheels (perhaps a nice pair of Enves) and something like a 10-42 on my 650b carbon wheels for when it gets rough. Perhaps I'd get a 3T Strada as my second dream bike (again, SRAM 1x12).

I'd probably decide against 3T's new fancy cranks in favor of something with a built-in power meter, perhaps Easton EC90 SLs or just SRAM's Force 1 with a Quark D0 power meter … :)

Our old art teacher at school was called Mr. Derosa.

Every time he walked into class we greeted him to chants of "De de de de Rosa!" to the theme of "La la la la Bamba!".

Of course he loved it.

He was a cool guy. And as we spent the afternoon sketching pictures of our left hands he would be at the back chatting up Gayle and Caroline.

We thought it was funny at the time. But perhaps a bit dodgy in hindsight.

After lunch you could find him sat in woodwork teacher Mr Towey's green Porsche as they both enjoyed a ciggie. All the boys would be hanging around drooling over the car.

But me and my mate Chris were more interested in Derosa's celeste coloured Bianchi. Eventually we plucked up the courage to ask him for a ride of it.

I remember his exact words (insert half Italian / half northern English accent) "Aye lads, but if you scratch it, I'll rip yer balls off!"

We didn't scratch it. And riding that bike around the car park perhaps installed a love of cycling into the both of us.

So we have Derosa to thank us for that.

Great looking bike @theBlob too!

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

I am at a loss... I think if I were going to have unlimited funds - maybe a Tim O'donnell bike.
I fell in love with one of his hardtails at he NAHBS several years back and been a fan ever since.
His all-road bikes are right up my alley.
https://shamrockcycles.cc/pages/gravel

Or possible an Independent Fabrication's Gravel Royale?
http://198.91.26.40/~ifbiscom/site/Bikes/ssg

In the end, I know I want hydraulic disc and room for some fat tires (for a road bike).

Our old art teacher at school was called Mr. Derosa.

Every time he walked into class we greeted him to chants of "De de de de Rosa!" to the theme of "La la la la Bamba!".

Of course he loved it.

He was a cool guy. And as we spent the afternoon sketching pictures of our left hands he would be at the back chatting up Gayle and Caroline.

We thought it was funny at the time. But perhaps a bit dodgy in hindsight.

After lunch you could find him sat in woodwork teacher Mr Towey's green Porsche as they both enjoyed a ciggie. All the boys would be hanging around drooling over the car.

But me and my mate Chris were more interested in Derosa's celeste coloured Bianchi. Eventually we plucked up the courage to ask him for a ride of it.

I remember his exact words (insert half Italian / half northern English accent) "Aye lads, but if you scratch it, I'll rip yer balls off!"

We didn't scratch it. And riding that bike around the car park perhaps installed a love of cycling into the both of us.

So we have Derosa to thank us for that.

Great looking bike @theBlob too!

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

That's awesome lol - you mean like pantani's bike?

This is an interesting thread, especially for me as a Field owner (that is my dream bike and I cherish it greatly).

I think your dream bike depends on its use first, style second. I most often ride on the roads and with certain goals - Field helped me integrate those goals into my geometry and tubing choices. As alluded to by some above, a more 'gravel grinder' / flexible / 'gnarmac' / adventure / monstercross (any more?) build may suit others, too (more clearance, 650b compatibility, etc.).

Beyond that, you're then buying for aesthetics, which is hugely personal. With Field, I designed this side with the in-house designer there (Tom Smith), but with other brands you have a little less free range (certainly if you don't want to double the price of the frame in paint costs, at least).

For me, if I was getting another bike, it'd be something with big clearance and the like and/or a super lightweight road frame (perhaps custom carbon). However, my Field and Ritchey Swiss Cross more than suit my needs, now.

My friend is the Stoemper distributor here and I've been greatly impressed with the bikes I've seen go through his store. They seem a very reasonable version of custom / semi-custom and, I'm told, are a dream to ride.

Back
Top Bottom