What's new

TCC Team Kit Design Contest 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Will you be the one to design the winning TCC team kit in 2010? :)

Dear valued members,

we would like to announce an official contest to design the new TCC team kit for 2010. We plan on releasing a full team kit, including jersey, bibs, gloves and hats.

Every TCC member is eligible for participating and submitting their design. Please use the templates linked below.

Basic requirements:

1. The main colour should be bright red. Please check the following WikiPedia page for acceptable variations of red

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_red

- Red (Hex triplet #FF0000; RGB 255, 0, 0; HSV 0°, 100%, 100%)
- Scarlet (Hex triplet #FF2000; RGB 255, 32, 0; HSV 8°, 100%, 100%)
- Candy Apple Red (Hex triplet #FF0800; RGB 255, 8, 0; HSV 2°, 100%, 100%)

Additional colours should be white, grey and black.

2. The jersey should feature white, capitalised "TCC" letters on the back, similar to the current design. These letters should be as large as possible.

3. We would like to incorporate the official seal of Tokyo Metropolis, the ginko leave (not necessarily in green, but in variations of the colours listed under 2.

=> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PrefSymbol-Tokyo.svg

The contest will run from Monday, May 17, 2010 to Friday, June 11, 2010.

Please submit your design within those three and a half weeks by posting screenshots or templates to this thread. All TCC members will be able to vote on their favourite design from June 11 to June 18, 2010. The designer of the winning team kit will receive a free TCC jersey.

Download the templates from here:

- https://tokyocycle.com/images/misc/tcc_teamkit_template.pdf (PDF)
- https://tokyocycle.com/images/misc/tcc_teamkit_template.psd (PSD)

Good luck to all participants! :D

Update: uploaded a layered template (PSD) created by Owen. Thanks again, mate!

Hi

Erm, I though the idea of a PSD was that you would be cutting each section of the jersey into a layer...

The only layers on there at the moment are the whole image, the words Tokyo Cycling Club, and the words Team Kit Design Contest 2010.

Working on the PSD now

People should wait until I have finished before starting work on the design. Will make things a lot easier for you all.

Expecting to finish it by the end of the day.

Cheers.

I'm excited to see what designs we get!

Just throwing an idea out there: It might be a nice touch to give bigger billing to the word "Tokyo" on the jersey, to emphasize the club's roots and also perhaps make it more appealing as a collector's item for those looking for an "exotic" jersey.

I know TCC is the shorthand we use for the club, but it's not the most majestic expression to have emblazoned across one's back.

Something like:

TOKYO
CYCLING CLUB

Obviously not those fonts and size ratios, but just as an idea. Like I said, just throwing this out there. Any thoughts?

Deej

Deej, you've come out of hiding:D I was almost gonna start a new thread in hope of finding Black Thunder! I like your idea, I think that would look very nice. Wish i knew how to use the design software though:confused:

Deej, you've come out of hiding:D I was almost gonna start a new thread in hope of finding Black Thunder! I like your idea, I think that would look very nice. Wish i knew how to use the design software though:confused:

Hey Mike. Sorry for laying so low, bro! I'll PM you to give you the lowdown on Black Thunder's whereabouts. :)

As for the design, I guess I wanted to ask Thomas if the following was written in stone:

2. The jersey should feature white, capitalised "TCC" letters on the back, similar to the current design. These letters should be as large as possible.

I'm fine with TCC, but I think TOKYO might be, well, cooler. :cool:

Deej

I have emailed the modified PSD file to Thomas, so just wait for him to upload it before starting any designing work.

Couple of questions;

-How much detail is feasible with this thing?

It would be really useful to know the limitations of the actual printing process and the garments themselves. I assume this is going to be a straight print onto a pre-fabricated blank, right?

Would it be OK to include a load of small hidden details, or do you want to keep it simple?

-Do you want any details on the inside? By this I mean, can details on the inside of the collar be included, or is it just an outer print that can be done?

-Can we enter more than once? I have a load of ideas I want to try, and obviously I can't put them all on a single shirt.

-Once a winner has been decided, is peer-editing going to happen?

Owen, thanks a lot for creating the layered template, it's perfect and ready for download. :thumb:

I believe hidden details are feasible, but I concur with Pete: less is more. Please feel free to submit more than one design, seems you're the only contestant at the moment. :)

I hope James can give us more input on the technical details of the print. And I can well imagine that there will be a lot of peer-editting as well. ;)

Deej, thanks a lot for your suggestion. On the old jerseys we had the "Tokyo Cycling Club" billing on the front and "TCC" in capitalised letters on the back. I'd say, let's try both options and see what our members prefer.

-How much detail is feasible with this thing?

A lot the company that will be making these makes my team jersey that has 3D effect printing, once I get home from todays training ride I will take some photos of the detailing on my race jersey.

Would it be OK to include a load of small hidden details, or do you want to keep it simple?

Depends on what you mean, being sponsored by HIGH5 they have some hidden designs in the jersey such as some product images in one of the pockets.

-Do you want any details on the inside? By this I mean, can details on the inside of the collar be included, or is it just an outer print that can be done?

This is something I would need to ask the printers. Also one thing to note we will not be able to put individual names on the Jersey this year as this feature really drives the price of the jersey up.

-Can we enter more than once? I have a load of ideas I want to try, and obviously I can't put them all on a single shirt.

Yes, Yes, Yes! :D

-Once a winner has been decided, is peer-editing going to happen?

Yes, most probably as certain things may be impossible to achieve with the printers but we will work with the designer infact we will probably have the winner working with the printers at this point as it will make things easier.

I spoke to the printers and they will send me thier prefered PSD file for all kit garments.

Also I have to say that I like Deej idea and it had never really occurred to me that we only referer to the club as the TCC when infact it is TOKYO cycling club.

First basic idea.

Thinking behind it;

-Tokyo logo, layered to look like a traditional Japanese tattoo on the front and back

-Tokyo Kanji blended in gently

-TCC swept across one shoulder

-Tokyo logo, used as a fan and put into the rear pocket, with the Tokyo Kanji ghosting through

ideaone.png

Got loads more ideas in the pipeline. Will add as I get them sketched out.

Looks great, Owen, especially the fish-scale-like ginko leaves! :thumb:

What about filling the "TCC" and "Tokyo Cycling Club" letters in red?

Looking good Owen. You're doing a stellar job. As Edo said, keep em coming. I wish I could use this software but I'm not design oriented. Any chance of making template with the Tokyo Cycling Club on the back, and on the front on one side in smaller letters?
How about some Japanese on those pockets, like the names our favorite toges? And on the other pocket out team motto? Any ideas anyone?
松姫峠
三国峠
ヤビツ峠
都民の森 etc....

Perhaps someone's wife can give us some kick ass Japanese phrase and we could translate it into English below?

Just throwing some ideas out there.

Good idea!

Was wondering what to do with the pockets!

Let me know your ideas, and I will stick them in.

It might skew the competition a little, but I really love the idea of peer editing this stuff to get the best result for everyone.

I will mock up the rest of my ideas over the next week or so, and hopefully you can all have a look through them and tell me what you think. No guarantee you are going to like them, but I love designing this stuff!:D

Here's some ideas.....

虎穴に入らずんば虎子を得ず。

* Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu.
* Literally: If you do not enter the tiger's cave, you will not catch its cub.

能ある鷹は爪を隠す。

* Nō aru taka wa tsume wo kakusu.
* Literally: The talented hawk hides its claws
o A wise man keeps some of his talents in reserve

or this:

二兎を追う者は一兎をも得ず。

* Ni usagi wo ou mono wa ichi usagi wo mo ezu.
* Literally: One who chases after two hares won't catch even one

七転び八起き nanakorobi yaoki

* Literally: stumbling seven times but recovering eight.
* Meaning: perseverance is better than defeat.
* Equivalent: perseverance is the key.

弱肉強食 jaku niku kyō shoku

* Literally: weak, meat; strong, eat
* Meaning: Survival of the fittest.

雨降って地固まる
[あめふってちかたまる, ame futte chi katamaru] the calm after the storm; strength through hardship; what does not kill you makes you stronger (lit.: after rain falls, the ground hardens; i.e.: difficulties and challenges can lead to greater strength than before they started)

What do you guys think? Any you like? Please add any if you like the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom