What's new

Windy...

Edogawakikkoman

Maximum Pace
Jan 14, 2007
Only rode 55km today but my body feels like it did 200 or more...
Anybody else battle the wind today?

I headed off from Noda to Misato with a tailwind in record time. 15 minutes... usually takes 25.
Then met the gang and we headed off into the wind... 12 of us started but there were only 3 of us left when we got to the haflway mark. The others came in a bit later....

Then it was on...the return sprint...to the Joban expressway. I only ever have a chance of beating these guys when the wind is at my back so I decided to lead off... 30, 35, 40, 45... then I went to the back..we were on 45 for a while then I hit the lead again 46, 47, 48...then at the last bridge the Cuban missile who had been drafting the whole way made his move....off he went on the double forked path...we took the high road and he took the low road and he sprinted away before us....

We had to almost stop to let 2 cars cross the cycling path but still managed an average speed of 45 over the 12km sprint...

50, 51, 55, 56..... There were 5 of us at the front and we all had a gap of 5 m betweeen us all.... Haven't hit those speeds for over 2 years now...and the Cuban missile was just too fast. I finished 5th... Bit dissapointed as I didn' break my non wind assisited Edo sprint Max record of 56.9.....Should've been able to get over 60 to beat my wind assisted flat record.... ;)

5 of the guys rode into Tokyo to watch that criterium but the rest of us had had enough...

No wind tomorrow so will definitely ride to work....

Yes, very windy today. I went up the Edogawa River as well. But didn't get to far. It was like some elastic was pushing me back. So left the river and went up by road. That was better. But going back was great fun. Nothing like a good back wind. :)

Yep! It was nasty!

I rode into Toyko (station) to meet a friend, then we rode out along Kuramaebashi-dori to Arakawa. We had that awesome tailwind down to Kasai-Rinkai-koen, but the ride back up Edogawa was fierce.
My friend is only a beginner, and had a really tough time! I decided to make a training excercise out of it, and jumped all the way up to my heaviest gear; 52-12, and do full circles, while my friend drafted behind me at 14-16km/h.
I actually had a good time (watching my friend suffer):D
Rubber down! T

asaren-070204-04.jpg

Started my ride at 6am yesterday. The wind was horrendous around the 9km circuit at the warf. Sitting on 45-50kph with the tailwind was much better then grinding it out at 28-30kph into the headwind. Finsihed off with 5hrs and it felt like I had ridden 10hr.

I couldn't believe there was a guy doing laps with a zipp disc. Bloddy triathletes :D :D :D

Cool pic

fluro

More wind...

Going to get the wind to push me to work along the river today... May try and break my flat land wind assisted speed record.....

Hope it dies down before I come home tonight....

:eek:

The summer wind came blowin' in from across the sea...

Blimey!

Could hear the wind whistling around my "mansion" this morning and assumed it was still from the south (like last night), so expected a real slog to get to work down highway 15. But hit the road to find it was actually a north-easterly so got (partially) blown along, and (partially) knocked sideways every so often.

Going home's going to be TOUGH. A good excuse to leave early though ;)

Got to work in one piece. Seemed like a North to North Westerly when I started out and I was easily cruising along at over 40kph....pushed it up to 50 but was not easy... By the time I got warmed up I had run out of river and had to turn East...
Just before then the wind turned to a Westerly and almost took my front wheel out. I had a big back pack that was catching the wind too. I was going to get knocked over so I walked the bike down behind the bank to the lower cycling path that was protected...

Took my speed computer off to find that the Max option is not showing...I'll have to reset my computer to get it back again...(it loses the Max option often).

Got no where near my max today...

The wind will die down a bit this afternoon but no idea which direction it will come from...

I took the train!

Usually, I ride into "Akasaka-Mitsuke" for my Friday morning class... (20km each way).
But, not today!
I felt that wind too - before I even left the building - it's too dangerous!
Headwind; I can handle! You just watch your av.spd. fall, but you still get there!
Tailwind; I love! It makes you think that you're an OK cyclist!
BUT... When you you have gusts of SIDE-WIND that can either blow you into traffic, or blow you into the curb - they're just too unpredictable - I'd rather just take the train.

Cycling in spring is usually great, but side-wind "gusts" scare me a whole lot more than a full-on headwind!
Rubber-Down! Travis

A crow in the wind

Yesterday I went for my Thursday morning ride along the Edowogawa River. It was very windy. I was hacking it up the river as fast as I could when I had a near head on crash with an out of control crow. It seemed like the crow was caught in a wind pocket. It was, accidentally I think, dive bombing me. I put my head down and closed my eyes. I could here it flapping by my ears. We missed. Lucky.

One more reason to wear a helmet. You never know when the crows are out of flight control. ;)

Ughh! I stayed out of that one. Got up and thought about it for a while, but it was howling out here! Took the train....

Yesterday I went for my Thursday morning ride along the Edowogawa River. It was very windy. I was hacking it up the river as fast as I could when I had a near head on crash with an out of control crow. It seemed like the crow was caught in a wind pocket. It was, accidentally I think, dive bombing me. I put my head down and closed my eyes. I could here it flapping by my ears. We missed. Lucky.

One more reason to wear a helmet. You never know when the crows are out of flight control. ;)

Pete, that crow might have actually attacked you. I was once victim of a Hitchcock'esque crow attack while waiting at a red traffic signal. That beast came in twice hitting me with its wings. I just escaped a third strafing, because the lights had finally turned green. Must have been quite some show for onlookers. So beware of crows in spring! :warau:

As for yesterday's storm: I admit it was quite challenging in the morning, but it gradually died down in the afternoon. However, taking the train? Not because of wind! :p

Back
Top Bottom