What's new

Fork me! [First Post]

timdesuyo

Speeding Up
Mar 29, 2010
Went out looking for a roll with some friends, bounced on some pole, and got completely bent. But, if anyone asks... I didn't bonk.

Gyah. Good time riding today, but I was following a little close, and should have been paying more attention, and went straight into one of those posts they have to keep cars off the sidewalk. Gyah. My fork is done. I got home ok, but I'm definitely going to need a replacement. Any suggestions, anyone? I'd need a 650c one, with a 1 inch threadless steering tube. If you're curious, here's the carnage: http://i.imgur.com/8LBgG.jpg

Yes, sounds like you are forked and will have to fork out for a new one.

Please delete this thread before FarEast sees it, after his exploits on the LRRB thread. ;)

Yes, sounds like you are forked and will have to fork out for a new one.

Please delete this thread before FarEast sees it, after his exploits on the LRRB thread. ;)

Aww... don't get so bent out of shape. :D

Hi Tim - I'm at our factory in China - I'll check and see if any 650 forks are available. If so, I'll grab one or 2.

BTW - only issue I'd see with a used fork is if the steering tube is cut shorter than you need, and if the unit has been crashed on (and with carbon) subsequently repaired. If it is a NOS or open mould fork, should be fine.

The only time I trashed a fork was so embarrassing. I was carrying my bike, in its bag, down the escalator at the station. I might have had a beer or six. The rear tyre caught on some stanchion and pushed the fork into the wall, but the escalator kept on moving. Slow... motion... crunch. :cry::cry:

Hi Tim - I'm at our factory in China - I'll check and see if any 650 forks are available. If so, I'll grab one or 2.

Wait! Don't! I already ordered an Easton off eBay. Shoulda thought to email you directly :( Not to say there isn't a market for them. TokyoBike wants 11,000 yen and a month or more wait for their forks, with no guarantee of color. I'm sure I'm not the only guy/gal who's screwed up his TokyoBike. Also, you'll be proud to know the wheel is still true.

The only time I trashed a fork was so embarrassing. I was carrying my bike, in its bag, down the escalator at the station. I might have had a beer or six. The rear tyre caught on some stanchion and pushed the fork into the wall, but the escalator kept on moving. Slow... motion... crunch. :cry::cry:

Ouch. ouch ouch. I would have been crying right there with you. I was pretty embarrassed by this as well. Totally my fault. I shoulda been paying attention. Didn't even have the beer or six as a cover story.

Hi Tim2 - no worries! I'll belay on that. Maybe I'll get a couple in the next order just so we have some spares for the TB riders anyway. Easy to match their price on the fork - and ours are full carbon anyway. Good to hear th wheels are OK! better to cream a fork than a frame anyway - you should check alignment on it. Oftentimes the frame headset might be tweaked.

I forked my Fondriest while driving into a supermarket. It was on the roof of the car... I also forked the saddle and the saddle of my wife's bike on the same low pedestrian cover... The fork was also an old fashioned size and took me a long time to find a replacement.

Tim2 - yes- you should have the alignment checked. Any proper LBS should be able to do this - there is a an alignment rod that you place through the headtube and then make measurements for twist and /or deflection. Of course - we can probably cobble something together at Stu's as well. You'll love the carbon fork - it will drop more weight from your front end and better shock absorbtion.

With the panniers on the back, and the carbon fork up front, I just might need a wheelie bar. I'll definitely check out the alignment. Maybe a tutorial would be appreciated over beers at Stu's :) I got the headset from Wiggle, so I went ahead and got the Tiagra crank as well. It was 8,000 yen. That leaves me with one more question though, Italian or British bottom bracket?

BB depends on your bike - but I'll bet beers that its a British thread. Very few Chaiwan bikes come factory ITA threading. BB is a no brainer - just pick one up at Y's and get the Ultegra.

The Ultegra crank was cheaper than the Tiagra at Y's. Also, Wiggle came today, and the fork hit Narita at 2am. Gyah! Hurry up and get here!

Resolution:

If anyone was aching for resolution, here's the most non-Tokyobike Tokyobike that you'll see:

KRekv.jpg

Got the Easton fork from eBay, and the Campy headset from Wiggle, and then managed to score some sweet handlebars, saddle, and bottle cage from GSAstuto. OG is reborn.

If anyone was aching for resolution, here's the most non-Tokyobike Tokyobike that you'll see:

KRekv.jpg

Got the Easton fork from eBay, and the Campy headset from Wiggle, and then managed to score some sweet handlebars, saddle, and bottle cage from GSAstuto. OG is reborn.

With that heavy rack on the back you must be able to do wheelies with all the carbon up front!

Don't for get the titanium skewers! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom