What's new

Where do I get T-nuts

DeltaForce

Maximum Pace
Sep 17, 2011
Greetings with this my first post on TCC, Looking forward to riding with you all some day.

My cleat screws have rusted to their nuts. I can't change my cleats.
I've WD40'd them, etc. I give up. I want to saw them off and replace the t-nuts which are recessed into the soles along with the cleats and their bolts and washers.

My local shop didn't want to know because the shoes are Nike and he doesn't deal with them.

I am thinking the t-nuts would be basically universal. What shop would have loose t-nuts in stock.

I'm in Yokohama by the way.

Welcome to the club! I did a quick google on it, but no luck. If you are looking for donuts though, let me know. :)

welcome, is the bolt a 4mm hex , phillips or straight head?

What make are the cleats?

I am thinking the t-nuts would be basically universal. What shop would have loose t-nuts in stock?
I think it unlikely that anywhere will have them in stock. You'll have to order.

They're called shoe plate inserts. Generally they are shoe-specific rather than cleat-specific, i.e., the plates will be slightly different for a Nike SPD-SL compatible shoe and a Specialized SPD-SL compatible shoe.

Try Y's Road in Yokohama, between Sakuragicho and Takashimacho?

I have had similar problems in the past. A good whack with an impact driver usually sorts it out. Failing that, drilling a pilot hole in the bolt and using a stud extractor will almost certainly shift it. Buying these tools will cost more than the plate, if you don't have them already. But if you're in a rush a local car workshop might be able to help - and once it's out then you don't have to try to find a new plate.

I`ve had problems shifting bolts before due to not replacing the bolts often enough and in the worst case, sawing the cleat off (carefully!) and then undoing the bolt by placing the shoe in a vice and turning did the job. Can`t remember if we needed to round off the end of the bolt.

How to remove cleat bolts that have worn down.

1/. select drill bit that is either same size or 1mm larger than the bolts threaded width.

2/. Using the hex bolt hole as a guide drill in to the bolt head until you reach the tread and the head falls off the bolt

3/. Repeat forother bolts as needed.

4/. Using a file flaten two sides of the bolt so that an adjustable spanner can purchase grip

5/. Unsrew the bolts.

Normally you will find that once you have removed the heads of all the bolts holding the cleatin place that they can be unscrewed with just a pair of pliers.

This is the method I got taught years and years ago and has never failed to get the job done.

Also RTFM when installing new cleats most cleats will tell youto usea spot of locktight and to only tighten the bolts to 3-4Nm.

Another method for new polymer cleats is to use a red hot knife to cut the cleat off so that the bolts are now protruding..... usea set of heavy pliers to unscrew the bolts as youhave a much larger surface to grip.

BTW the reason why you should only tighten the cleats to 3-4Nm is because if you are unfortunate to have a heavy crash that the shoes don't disengage from the pedal you want the cleat to twist not your knees or ankles ;)

LOL..... most issues like this are caused by people setting the wrench to 'P' mode "P for plenty". Once you have the all cleat nuts tightened even to 1NM you'll find it almost impossible to get them to shift in place....... I've had to remove cleats that have been tightened to over 15Nm and if you are using carbon or or polymer soles you can warp or crack them.....warping is pretty bad as it can effect the position of the sole of the foot and cuase knee injuries.

If you read the manual it tells you all about this..... SIDI and LOOK anyways.

LOL..... most issues like this are caused by people setting the wrench to 'P' mode "P for plenty".
I'll admit to being one of these. However I've also had (and seen with others) both SPD and TIME cleats fall off, so I tend to err on the side of caution.

But I think a demonstration is in order: I want to see James tighten his nuts in a vice and then spin around. YouTube or it didn't happen...

Applying a bit of Locktite cyanoacrylate to said nuts first, of course..

I'll admit to being one of these. However I've also had (and seen with others) both SPD and TIME cleats fall off, so I tend to err on the side of caution.

But I think a demonstration is in order: I want to see James tighten his nuts in a vice and then spin around. YouTube or it didn't happen...

Hmmm red nuts or blue nuts ...not sure whats better.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the T-nuts are on the shelf there right beside the T-bolts..... :rolleyes:

actually they were moved you'll find them inbetween the Sky hooks and the long weights

I have some of them t-plates - somehow they were removed when I decided that just bolting my shoes directly to the pedals made more sense. That plus duct tape for the complete aero experience.

OK, that shelf is under the board stretchers and left handed pipe wrenches :D

Back
Top Bottom