What's new

crank worn out at mikuni toge

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
My 92' Crankset (DuraAce) got loose during the last weekend tour and unfortunately it took too long to find an open garage. Now the aluminum crank seem to have some slack, it takes about 20km until it gets loose again.

As it is only the left side I was hopping to buy a new one individually but the LBS told me that they don't sell tapered square cranks anymore (in the groups 105, Ultegra, DuraAce). They told me that I have two options:

a) buy complete new splined Crankset with new Bottom Bracket (expensive :eek:)
b) buy Shimano2300 left crank because that group still supports tapered square Axis, (but its a shame for the rest of the bike's group components :( )

I also wounder if I should look for a used stuff. But how would I know/see that it doesn't have that same problem?

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Malte

Look on yahoo auctions cycly for used dura ace track crank arms. Up to this day almost all njs cranks are square tapered and thanks to Keirin there is a ton of old cranks. Bought my keirin used dura track crankset at Sekidobashi two years back for 1.3man, so you should be able to score a crankarm for around half that price.

Up until then you can use a wedge, a small piece of alu from a soda can that you fit in between crank and bb bolt. It will be hard to tighten, but you might be able to extend the life of your crank.

Looks like a lot of good used ones on Yahoo Auction >> Here <<

Up until then you can use a wedge, a small piece of alu from a soda can that you fit in between crank and bb bolt. It will be hard to tighten, but you might be able to extend the life of your crank.
Thanks for this trick, I am going to try it.
Looks like a lot of good used ones on Yahoo Auction >> Here <<
Thanks for the link, indeed a lot of track crank-sets there. They all go for ~2man Yen ... as I only can use the left side I am still thinking to buy a new BB with new Ultegra crank-set (chance to change to compact :eek:)

... I am still thinking to buy a new BB with new Ultegra crank-set (chance to change to compact :eek:)

Another bikeshop told me that new Ultegra-6700 Cranks might not be compatible with my 8-speed cassette :confused:. Does anybody have experience with mixing 8speed wheels with 10speed cranks? I could imagine that the 10speed chain might be too narrow for the 8 speed cassette but wouldn't it be possible to ride a 8 speed chain on a 10speed crank?

8spd is quite rare, compared to 7,9,10 but 2 down on the chainrings should be no prob. I run 10spd chain on 9spd rings currently

You may find that the chain catches on the inside of the large chainring when you are on the small chainring/small sprocket combinations, as the 8sp chain is a little bit wider.
However most of these gear combinations are duplicates of some other big chainring/bigger sprocket combination, and have bad chainline, so you shouldn't be using them anyway.
AW.

Back
Top Bottom