What's new

GS Astuto 50mm Standard Clinchers

silkishuge

Warming-Up
Sep 23, 2011
Hi,
I would like to find out if there are any TCC rider who have had experience with the GS Astuto 50mm standard clincher wheels. I am in the market looking for a set of wheels and these wheels look like a bargain. 3k UD carbon weave and light as a feather. At 104,000yen, it seems like a bargain as well.
I would like to know about experiences with durability, lateral stiffness and compliance (how it feels on long rides).
Thank you for any information you can provide.

Cheers,
Jon

I won't 'poison' any reviews - but just as background for these:

In 2011 we began sourcing from 2 selected factories in China. Both agreed to provide rims and completed wheels based on our spec'd layup using standard (open) molds. This means - we kept price low, but was able to specify quality layup and construction based on our recipe.

The Standard or Club wheel is based on a high quality rimblank, Bitex Hubset w/Japanese replaced bearings and either MAC (pro) or Pillar spokes.

The Elite or Team wheel is based on a similar rimblank and either Novatec or YuHub (Extralite clone) w/Japanese replace bearings and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. It also comes in either a basalt brake surface or a super-light configuration.

Durability:

1) All rims have UV guard included in the finish.
2) The resin is Japanese TORAYCA , which holds up the best over time.
3) The fabric is Japanese TORAYCA, either T700 and /or T1000. We don't use Tairyfil - just stick with Torayca.
4) Braking surface is hardend hi-temp resin. It's pretty good as long as you use the proper pads. For extreme braking conditions, I recommend the basalt version.

Lateral stiffness:

1) Carbon rims are pretty stiff to begin with when get above 38mm. For heavier riders (and standard wheel) , we'll build with a slightly heavier spoke and use a traditional 2x 2x lacing. This provides reasonable lateral stiffness and good 'wind up' resistance with the spoke tension appropriate to that rim blank.

2) For the elite wheel, we use a straightpull spoke arrangement and lighter spokes (CX-Ray), the spoke tension is slightly higher. These wheels offer very good lateral stiffness and superb wind-up resistance. But as they are intended primarily towards race condition - they are tuned for GC type riders under 75kg. If you are a hard sprinter or heavier rider, then I recommend totally different wheel configuration.

Compliance: This is where carbon wheels shine, in my opinion. The material absorbs small shock waves and provides a more supple feeling than an alloy rim of similar build. Plus a steel spoked wheel is more compliant , within certain operating range, than a full carbon spoked or non-metallic spoked wheel. So, the combination of carbon rim plus steel spoke delivers a compliant wheel set. As example, we tested the wheels with Lightweights, side by side. The Lightweights are super stiff in all directions. It's a superb wheel and exemplifies the state of the art (IMO) of full carbon wheels. However, on technical descents over rough roads, the Lightweights begin to show their weakness in terms of handling. Combine a super stiff wheel with a super stiff frame and light rider, and well, I couldn't keep the bike on the road. The spoked carbon wheels offered more compliance and thus suspension especially over the rougher sections. The handling difference is night and day.

The other thing to consider is Tubular vs Clincher. This is a big condundrum. Carbon Clinchers are really difficult to build and honestly, carbon is not the best material to be used for a clincher support. Our rimfab has invested several millions into new machinery that produces a very high quality clincher sectional with nearly 0 void and high density construction. It's about the best, I believe, we can do for this challenge in the time being. The wheels built off these blanks are performing quite well - especially compared to some earlier samples and other vendors which suffered quite a few problems. Tubular rims are perfect for carbon in nearly every way and I haven't any problems with the rimblanks for these - even from the cheapest fabs, by the way.

I hope that gives you some technical (and personal) insight. As for ride reports - I'll leave that to the people that have them (good, bad, ugly). As we are constantly refactoring the layup and continuing to evolve the product, I look forward to any feedback that helps make this a better product. Afterall, we're doing it mainly so that club riders (like you and me) can ride on good stuff, cheap. And TCC homies benefit from massive discounts.

Thanks for the very informative reply.There are quite a few thing to consider which I had not realised.
How many kms do you reckon I would get from these wheels on your average road surface?

I will get in touch with you if I have decided that these wheels would suit me. From what you have said so far, this is the direction I am moving towards. The other wheels I was considering are the Dura Ace C50s (heavy) and the Reynolds DV3k which are on a super special (USD$850) but I have my doubts about the hubs that are used (no longer DT 240s).

Thanks again.
Jon

Incidentally - the 104,000 yen is close to MSRP on those - the TCC club price is much lower.

I will be in touch very shortly. I got a web conference in 2 mins. WIll be in touch after. Thanks.
:)

I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I have been riding the 50mm carbon clinchers since last November and can confirm that they are one of the best wheels I've ridden in my time as a cyclist. They are light in comparison to other makers of same grade wheel and they are extremely fast. On a flat road I can push and maintain a 43-45km/h speed for quite some time using those rims. At the bike shop I work at you can buy a TNI 50mm wheel set for a similar price but they are much heavier and in my opinion use a lower grade hub. The only other wheel that can compare(but is still heavier) would be a mavic cosmic elite... For almost 2.5 times the cost.
I haven't ridden a tubular tire set yet but the clinchers have a very snappy and responsive feel to them but at the same time feel very stable. When I raced at fuji-Saiko last November, the wheels felt really stable over the rough sections of road and in the 90 degree corners. As for the wind up, compared to the campagnolo rims I have, the Astuto wheels accelerate much quicker. when accelerating out of corners in that race, it usually shot me up to the front of the peleton.

I hope that helps you in your desicion making process!

I thought I would put in my 2 cents.
I have been riding the 50mm carbon clinchers since last November and can confirm that they are one of the best wheels I've ridden in my time as a cyclist. They are light in comparison to other makers of same grade wheel and they are extremely fast. On a flat road I can push and maintain a 43-45km/h speed for quite some time using those rims. At the bike shop I work at you can buy a TNI 50mm wheel set for a similar price but they are much heavier and in my opinion use a lower grade hub. The only other wheel that can compare(but is still heavier) would be a mavic cosmic elite... For almost 2.5 times the cost.
I haven't ridden a tubular tire set yet but the clinchers have a very snappy and responsive feel to them but at the same time feel very stable. When I raced at fuji-Saiko last November, the wheels felt really stable over the rough sections of road and in the 90 degree corners. As for the wind up, compared to the campagnolo rims I have, the Astuto wheels accelerate much quicker. when accelerating out of corners in that race, it usually shot me up to the front of the peleton.

I hope that helps you in your desicion making process!
Thanks for the testimony mate. Tim had already convinced me earlier today and I am making an order for a set of 50mm clinchers as soon as he gets back to me on how I should proceed with transaction.

Cheers
Jon

I'm sure you will enjoy them! Definitely one of the best upgrades you can put on a bike.

Cheers,
Eric

Not related directly to the wheels, but in terms of service, I have just taken delivery of one of Tim's saddles, a few days after ordering it.

Although I know Tim personally, this transaction was done through his site, and went without hitch (although I would have preferred there to have been a credit card option, instead of messing around with Paypal. I realise this is a financial burden on a small business, however, and I understand the reason not to currently have it in place).

Everything went smoothly, and the it arrived in due fashion.

I would be interested to see what you think of the wheels you get. Please do post your thoughts and feelings when they arrive.

Cheers

P.S., massive LOL at the box it arrived! :p:p:p:p:p:p

Not related directly to the wheels, but in terms of service, I have just taken delivery of one of Tim's saddles, a few days after ordering it.

Although I know Tim personally, this transaction was done through his site, and went without hitch (although I would have preferred there to have been a credit card option, instead of messing around with Paypal. I realise this is a financial burden on a small business, however, and I understand the reason not to currently have it in place).

Everything went smoothly, and the it arrived in due fashion.

I would be interested to see what you think of the wheels you get. Please do post your thoughts and feelings when they arrive.

Cheers

P.S., massive LOL at the box it arrived! :p:p:p:p:p:p

Thanks Owen. I met Tim once and he seemed like a really nice guy.
I would purchase through the site but I could not find an option for the wheel I wanted to purchase on his website.

Jon

I just ordered a set of 50mm clinchers. :) Can't wait to try them out. I am stil thinking of an excuse to tell my wife why I need new wheel.

Jon

. I am stil thinking of an excuse to tell my wife why I need new wheel.

Jon

Try the safety angle, at the mega speeds you ride, "a lower rated could disentegrate leaving you lying on the road in front of a speding bus". here in "Safety Japan" it might just fly, and they will only get more expensive if the yen devalues. You could try the "I'll let you sleep with me if you let me buy my bike parts". bribery line. Didn't work for me but who knows.

You could try the "I'll let you sleep with me if you let me buy my bike parts". bribery line. Didn't work for me but who knows.

Try a one hour back and foot massage to melt her heart!

I am stil thinking of an excuse to tell my wife why I need new wheel.

Jon

Let me help out here. My advice would be to let her know that the more you cycle the less likely you are to be out drinking with your mates in Roppongi and all the inherent risks us men face in such circumstance. That buying these wheels will significantly increase your desire to go riding, thus by buying them you are actually reaffirming your long term commitment to your union. About this time her jaw should be heading toward the floor as she realises what a wonderful guy you are. And it is at that point that you could mention that she too could join you in this gesture of commitment by upgrading to the Elite tubulars with basalt braking surfaces.:cool:

Let us know how it goes!!:D

the less likely you are to be out drinking with your mates in Roppongi and all the inherent risks us men face in such circumstance.

This sounds inherently risky and dangerous. R should never be mentioned with the wife (it is always Azabu, or Shibuya). I would perhaps emphasise the safety aspects or just baffle her with performance enhancing statistics.

:D I told her that the wheels I have are not safe. And I should win back the cost of the wheels in no time from crit racing. :D Problem is I have never won a crit before. I race with my heart and not my brain ;)

Jon

Geez.... Tell her it's your money and you will spend it how you like!
If she doesn't agree then show her the door!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom