What's new

Workstand...?

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I'm going to breakdown and buy a workstand, the one I have, the one I made works, but well it just works, it is not very flexible and it is sort of wearing out.

577323b255653042461e60e8288dd68675376cfa_198x190.jpg

The Park PRS-25 looks really good. 29,530 yen at Chain Reaction with free shipping.

I want something that I can fold up and put in the corner, as my shop is small, I could also take it upstairs and work on a bike out of the Dungeon on a nice day.

8ac521f0bfa50d338da86b1330591f898b34b796_198x190.jpg

The PRS-10 is also looking good, and a lot cheaper, I wonder if the extra dosh for the PRS-25 is worth it? 15,946 yen at Chain Reaction with free shipping

I do not mind spending the money on good tools, as they last and that makes them cheaper in the long run.

I could also just buy the head of the workstand and build the rest of it, well within my skill set, but wonder if it is worthwhile...?

6a0f508bb9c1b387dc215b92a4fe5cf897518e12_430x390.jpg

The head from the home mechanics stand, bench mount. 15,946 yen

50297.jpg

The little more up market work stand head. 20,670 yen

Not much savings in buying just the head, IMHO

Anyone have any other favorite stands?

Cheers!

Stu - I have a pro Park stand pivot / clamp sitting here in the loft. If you can cobble the upright together - it will work perfect.

Stu - I have a pro Park stand pivot / clamp sitting here in the loft. If you can cobble the upright together - it will work perfect.

"If you can cobble......" :rolleyes: :D

very happy with the pcs-9 (old model) and i think the equivalent now is the pcs-10 (can also attach park tool TS-25 as a wheel truing addon). but they do tend to wobble but not too much, might be because i have a heavy FR bike.

the feedback sports model is better in the wobble deparrtment because it has 3 legs.

Just ordered the PRS-9 for $129 AUS, the reviews seem very good for it. Will let you know what it's like:D

I have the Park PRS-3. The one thing I like about this version is the camlock lever - so you can very easily and quickly clamp in a bike. Plus, it's all steel construction - very solid. On the otherhand - the clamp can crush fragile tubing if you're not careful.

I have the Park PRS-3. The one thing I like about this version is the camlock lever - so you can very easily and quickly clamp in a bike. Plus, it's all steel construction - very solid. On the otherhand - the clamp can crush fragile tubing if you're not careful.

Tim, glad to hear it's good, and thanks for the word of warning.

The other strong point of a steel stand is that you can braze on it. So, if you're building frames or working on them and need to use a torch, they won't be damaged by the flame or heat.

Tim, glad to hear it's good, and thanks for the word of warning.

So this is the stand I got (kind of forgot that I'd ordered it until the doorbell rang...!)

http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Pro-Ultralight-Work-Stand-P2C1.aspx

It's a killer stand, very probably over-kill(er) for my needs. It's bigger & more substantial/heavier than it looks in any pics of it. Probably the Park is also bigger than it looks in the pics.

It has three full tripod legs, a little different than the Park stand that Stu pictured in his original post. (kind of two legs and a butt post)

So you have to have the space to use it with that third leg that the Park doesn't have. But with that, it may be a bit more stable than the Park, but since this is my first and only stand...

Minor, but since this is a true tripod, you can use it with the legs positioned any way, whereas with the Park you'd need the two legs pointing to the front & back of your bike.

I hear and understand the above comments about just getting a head and attaching that somewhere--a wall or a post--but I've already set this stand up and used it twice in two places (indoors), and there are a couple of different outdoor choices, too.

Stu--this stand would easily hold (the other) Tim's bike.

Negatives: from the folded/compact position, the tripod feet don't slide out very easily (not as easily as a camera tripod w/a similar design), you really have to push and work them a little to get them extended.

Also, the pseudo-rubber bumpers on the tripod feet don't look especially durable or long-lasting. Using it outside, I might chuck rags or some old newspaper under the feet to preserve them.

So this is the stand I got (kind of forgot that I'd ordered it until the doorbell rang...!)

http://feedbacksports.com/shop/Pro-Ultralight-Work-Stand-P2C1.aspx

It's a killer stand, very probably over-kill(er) for my needs. It's bigger & more substantial/heavier than it looks in any pics of it. Probably the Park is also bigger than it looks in the pics.

It has three full tripod legs, a little different than the Park stand that Stu pictured in his original post. (kind of two legs and a butt post)

So you have to have the space to use it with that third leg that the Park doesn't have. But with that, it may be a bit more stable than the Park, but since this is my first and only stand...

Minor, but since this is a true tripod, you can use it with the legs positioned any way, whereas with the Park you'd need the two legs pointing to the front & back of your bike.

I hear and understand the above comments about just getting a head and attaching that somewhere--a wall or a post--but I've already set this stand up and used it twice in two places (indoors), and there are a couple of different outdoor choices, too.

Stu--this stand would easily hold (the other) Tim's bike.

Negatives: from the folded/compact position, the tripod feet don't slide out very easily (not as easily as a camera tripod w/a similar design), you really have to push and work them a little to get them extended.

Also, the pseudo-rubber bumpers on the tripod feet don't look especially durable or long-lasting. Using it outside, I might chuck rags or some old newspaper under the feet to preserve them.

Your stand looks great for sure!

How much did you pay for it?

Yesterday my stand came too, I changed my mind and went with this one....
View attachment 1071
>> Minoura W-3100 << Got it delivered to my house in one day for 10,300 yen :D

I had tried to get the folding stand from Monotaro, but they first promised delivery in six days, then two days later they said delivery would be on May 5th :mad: I canceled that stand and ordered the same Minoura W-3100 stand, same thing, six days delivery changed to May 2nd. Then I found the same stand on Amazon actually cheaper than Monotaro, so I just got it. While it is not as portable as the stand you show, it only takes one bolt loosened and and it knocks down to a fairly small size. It is all steel and very stable, I used it last night to do some maintenance on the Lrrb.

minoura_w-3100_stand_1.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy pic

minoura_w-3100_stand_2.jpg

The clamp closed

minoura_w-3100_stand_3.jpg

The clamp open

It is very easy to use, the yellow knob is both the lever to close the clamp and you can adjust the clamping pressure, or size of the clamp closed by twisting the knob. The clamp rotates easily too.
So far I'm pleased with this tool, it seems well built.

Stu, any more feedback on that Minoura stand? I'm looking to get something. Can't beat the price on the Minoura.

Also looking at the Park Tool ones, PCS-9 and PCS-10.

Stu, any more feedback on that Minoura stand? I'm looking to get something. Can't beat the price on the Minoura.

Also looking at the Park Tool ones, PCS-9 and PCS-10.

I like it, it is sturdy and well built, the clamp works well and is easily adjustable with one hand, while closing it on a bike tube. The little tool tray is certainly handy, I though it would be kind of a waste of time, but find it well worth it. This stand is designed to be put together and left standing, not folded up into a corner when not in use, and if you have the space to do that (sell some of them useless motorcycles!!) then this would be a good deal.

I honestly do not see how it could be any better.

Come by and check it out yourself if you like :D

I might have to swing by.

So is it a bit of a pain to break it down for storage? I don't think I'd leave it up all the time....

I might have to swing by.

So is it a bit of a pain to break it down for storage? I don't think I'd leave it up all the time....

Not really, you can reduce it in size significantly by loosening two bolts and removing one.

How do you think they would work on a sloping floor. My garage floor makes dropping nuts and bolts an interesting game. Catch them before they reach the drain.

Back
Top Bottom