What's new

Tech Speedplay advice

Chuck

Maximum Pace
Feb 7, 2011
I used to have some Shimano SPDs and found them difficult to get out of. Fiddled with the settings but no luck. Also, had an ACL replaced plus not much cartiledge in left knee. The movement necessary to unclip from the SPDs (slight twist outward) was especially difficult given the knee issue. Eventually, I gave up on them and on the idea of clipping in.

I've been looking at the Speedplay Frog (since it is the only one that can be used on an MTB shoe). Reviews claim they are good for folks with bad knees and that clipping in and out is easy. Would appreciate input from anyone with them (or Speedplay in general). Three questions:

1) Are they as kind to the knees as advertised?

2) Are they easy to get out of (but hold the foot firmly when riding)?

3) Do you get hot spots due to the small platform size?

Vielen Dank.

The movement necessary to unclip from the SPDs (slight twist outward) was especially difficult given the knee issue.
Twisting outwards gives me knee pain as well, so I unclip by twisting inwards.
Have you tried that?

I never tried it. Didn't figure there would be enough clearance before hitting the bike frame with my heel.

I have used Speedplay for a long time now and had an ACL reconstruction as well. It still causes problems if you click out a lot but I think overall less stress on the knee than Shimano. I have Speedplay on my fast bike and Shimano on my spare...

I have used Speedplay for a long time now and had an ACL reconstruction as well. It still causes problems if you click out a lot but I think overall less stress on the knee than Shimano. I have Speedplay on my fast bike and Shimano on my spare...

Thanks. ACLs suck.

Do you think it is any easier to click out of the Speedplay than the SPD or about the same? No issues with hot spots with the Speedplays?

Thanks. ACLs suck.

Do you think it is any easier to click out of the Speedplay than the SPD or about the same? No issues with hot spots with the Speedplays?

No hot spots.

Shimano red and yellow. The red hurt the. Most. Yellow next. Speedplay last. Glad my bad knee is my right as I tend to clip out of the left when in traffic and put my left leg on the curb.

I got good at 'standing' so I don't have to clip out....

If you're not riding off road, I would recommend the Speedplay Zero road pedals over the Frogs. The Frogs are a little harder to clip in and out of. I've ridden Speedplays for over 20 years now, and I love them. They are very easy to clip in and out of. I would say buy either the "walkable" ones or the "Keep On" cleat covers to protect the cleat from wear. Good luck!

Thanks, Velo. I have MTB shoes so ordered the Frogs yesterday. I think the Zeros won't work on MTB shoes.

Back
Top Bottom