What's new

Today March 2018

Never even knew that place existed. Ridden past there a million times, what kind of food/ coffee do they have? Any good?
It's really great! They do soup of the day with a bagel and salad which is always really good. They also do big sandwiches and cake. The coffee is really nice hand-drip coffee. Best part is that the couple who run it are really friendly and both keen cyclists.

Cool, definitely be stopping in at some point, unfortunately it's kind of too close to be a destination or a first stop.

Well, as lucky as I have been recently with dumb ass drivers not using their turn signals or using them as they are turning, my luck ran out today. As I am riding down a hill around 45 kph with a white kei van in front of me (who had just overtaken me about 1 minute earlier and knows I am behind him), suddenly makes a left turn as he decides to use his blinkers. I slam on my breaks, but not enough room to slow down at the speed we were going and BAM! Into the side of his van I go and then to the asphalt. The young driver runs over to me, apologizing profusely for not using his turn signals and asking about my well being. I've never had this happen before, but now understand the shock factor when you are trying to assess the situation and see if you are hurt. In my case though, the only thing going through my mind was "is my bike ok" - scuffed up bar tape, seat and my dura-ace pedals :-( Only a couple scrapes on my leg, and surprisingly the lycra was all intact. Got his name/number, took a photo of his car/license plate as he wasn't looking (looking at the photo later, I was shocked to see no dents in his van - hence the reason I didn't offer my contact details to him). I think he must have been running late, because as soon as I confirmed nothing was broken, he bounced out quickly. Road back home awkwardly, realigned the handlebars and had the LBS give my bike a quick look over and aligned the rear derailleur which was slightly bent. In hindsight, I could have given him a bit more room but would have had no problem slowing down in time if he had give me two or three blinks with his turn signals before turning. Overall, could have been a much worse situation with me being hurt, my bike broken or costly damages to his car.
Ride safe everyone and always try to anticipate idiot drivers.

Japanese and turns signals … I am glad to hear that nothing serious happened as a result, that's the most important part.

Japanese (sans some cab drivers) are very defensive drivers, but they are somehow taught to use their turn signals only in the last second. Does anyone know why?

Japanese (sans some cab drivers) are very defensive drivers, but they are somehow taught to use their turn signals only in the last second. Does anyone know why?

Maybe they all learned to drive in BMWs...? :rolleyes:

(crouching, with arms overhead for protection)

I learnt to drive at a Japanese driving school. They always told me off for indicating "too early".

A good listen for all cyclists.

The Peloton Brief

A podcast by Phil Gaimon. This episode he speaks to the author of the book "Traffic: Why we Drive the Way We Do (and what it says about us)"

One for @OreoCookie , your exact experience is highlighted in the first few minutes and it's one we have all been through on the roads.

Bad weather all week means crap trail conditions on the weekend. Packed up a mtb and my family and a cooler to a cabin. Got in a short ride and spent therest of the weekend chasing my 3 year old.

Today i took her out in the mamachari. I hate the seat and max seat height. Amazingly a 27.2 post. In my parts bin is a 27.2 thudbuster with a brooks. The seat is higher and more comfy.

Feels like the weather has been shit around here for weeks. Finally was able to get out Saturday as the weather was absolutely perfect.
Before going out, a buddy came over and helped mount a Origin 8 porteur rack on my delivery bike. Looks pretty sharp and is pretty light, considering it will hold up to 55lbs.
He and I rode around the rest of the day and had some good beers around the just opening cherry blossoms. About 1AM on my ride home, I got T-Boned by some idiot on a mamachari. She came off the sidewalk in a big intersection with her way being red. I had my bright flashing headlight on, but she seemed to not even look. Ran right into my leg/crank. My feet stayed clipped in, and I managed to catch my balance. After getting balanced I twisted around to yell at her, and watch as after she took her feet off the ground and proceeded to fall. She was likely drunk and/or trying to scam me/make shame me for her mistake.
My leg is fine, just cut my ankle on the crank arm and bruised it pretty good.

About 1AM on my ride home, I got T-Boned by some idiot on a mamachari. She came off the sidewalk in a big intersection with her way being red. I had my bright flashing headlight on, but she seemed to not even look.
Glad to hear nothing serious happened. Even in the best circumstances, there are some pedestrian traffic lights Japanese seem to run. Two other perennial favorites are people who all of a sudden pull from the sidewalk onto the road without looking. Some jokers get extra credit for going the wrong way. (That alone happened to me twice within the last four weeks.)

Yeah, Im really glad she hit me in the leg/crank area. A hit to the chainstay probably would have shattered the carbon fiber. This was a big big intersection 2 lanes (her direction) crossing 6 lanes (my direction). She also didn't have any kind of light on.
I sometimes feel like I need an airhorn that is constantly blasting or need to need airliner strobes on the front, so pedestrians (and this time, mamachari riders) will actually register me in their brain before they jump out in the road, J-walk across a busy street, etc. I've had too many close calls up to this point. What really gets me is that at the speeds we pull, and the fact we are in traffic, may as well be a car. Do these people jump out in front of taxis and stuff in the same careless manner?

Riding home yesterday on my singlespeed, a car suddenly decides to pull out right in front of me. Luckily I had anticipated it and was on the brakes early. I was pretty surprised though as it was a traffic Police car (one of the big Toyota Crowns, not a small Koban car). I gesticulated to him and he gave me an arms up "I'm sorry". Luckily I always assume a car will pull out. It has saved me on many an occasion.

I'd be extra careful riding a bike after drinking a bit. Even if an accident is caused by someone else, it could quickly become your fault if they find out you are "under the influence".

I sometimes feel like I need an airhorn that is constantly blasting or need to need airliner strobes on the front, so pedestrians (and this time, mamachari riders) will actually register me in their brain before they jump out in the road, J-walk across a busy street, etc. I've had too many close calls up to this point.
Actually, that's why I put a bear bell on my bike. That gives people a little extra awareness. (I originally put it on to keep bears away, and ended up leaving it on my handlebars permanently.) Nevertheless, it won't prevent all accidents.

I'd be extra careful riding a bike after drinking a bit. Even if an accident is caused by someone else, it could quickly become your fault if they find out you are "under the influence".
Yeah, especially if they find out about his handle on this forum ;)

Back
Top Bottom