What's new

Review Powertap P1s

Sub-23 Shiraishi by the end of the year or I am going to demand my money back.
I'm thinking of having a proper crack at Shiraishi this year as one of my cycling goals. It's not quite long enough for my liking, although the steepness benefits me. I won't be using any microwave voodoo magic along the way though. Far too complicated for me ;)

just managed to get a pair of PowerTap P1s from Evans Cycles for 129,000yen, including delivery. .
Price is still there but looks like they have sold out for the moment.

They (Evans) also have the Garmin Vector2 (double side) for JPY 124,000 (and spare cleats available for that system)

How do you choose between PowerTap P1 and Garmin V2?

@wexford @Pedro

Have you got spare cleats for these? They only come with one set, and I wanted to get a few spare sets. They seem a bit elusive, so if you know of where to get them, that would be cool, otherwise I would be up for a group buy from Powertap, if you are up for that.

I have two spare sets of cleats. I bought an extra pair at the time and I'm still using the keo cleats. There is a little play in the keo cleats but I don't mind it too much but again, I still haven't done that outside is free shit that everyone is raving about because of the silly amount of work hours that I'm putting in recently. My goal for March is to go outside on the bike again! I don't seem to be going through a lot of cleats though at the moment.

Currently sat on my bike in my living room doing 10% on my left and 90% on my right due to stitches in my sack.

Holy ball sack batman! WTF are you doing on your bike after something like that? I'd be checking that other things still worked if it was me.

It is a shame Garmin have not yet got agreement with Speedplay or Shimano to make these properly. Nothing technical to stop them - the strain gauges are inside the axial and the electronics in the pod so once they have the license they could machine the axial to take the premium loose bearings and body of one of the other two systems. Would then just be a software change to reflect the minor differences in the axial deflection.
Hanging out for a Speedplay version of the Garmin after Brim Brother's sc###ed all the non-US/EU people on their waiting list....

My totally uninformed guess is that it was a financial decision. That is pretty much the sole reason that businesses make poor technical decisions.

They don't need an agreement. They could have used a loose ball and needle bearing configuration in the cartridge they showed in the video. Instead they have gone for a tiny cartridge bearing system, for God only knows what reason.

I have Zero play in my Garmin Vector pedals after 10 months of use without maintenance.

My right P1 has stopped giving me power readings and I cannot connect to it using the power tap phone app any more. Not sure why yet but could be any of the following... Power tap recommend lithium batteries but it seems I had mixed up the last battery I put in my pedals. Left had a Lithium but right had an alkaline when I opened it up to check. Same brand (Panasonic) so I guess I mixed them up somehow. Still hard to believe using a battery would do it that much harm??? Another reason could have been the Karuizawa Gran Fondo where we got really soaked on roads in heavy rain. Shoes took two days to dry out next to a humidifier. Wondering if the right pedal leaked somewhat. Anyway, luckily if the right is off line, the left doubles the power it sends to the head unit so I'm still getting power numbers.

Sent an email to support to see what they might recommend. Would like to get the right one back in action.

I spend 900 bucks on a smart trainer so I would ride more, but now I'll end up having to spend 900 on a power meter so I will ride outside more....

I finally lost enough weight to use Vector 3s.... haha

Back
Top Bottom