What's new

Race 2018 race schedule

It seems to be saying that the course is one of the harder ones in Japan, so if you're not experienced you should do the 11-km course.
I guess that seems somewhat reasonable? If I was one of the organizers, I'd be very worried about inexperienced racers crashing on the descents if it's a hilly course....

10 minute cutoff....that does seem a bit tight on a hilly course tho.

It seems to be saying that the course is one of the harder ones in Japan

That's bullshit, though. It's only 700 meters of climbing over 31 km. The Nasu Kogen Longride is twice as long as has twice as much climbing. The Chokai Bicycle Classic (Yashima Cup) had 1100 meters over 28 km (although I finished in twice the time of the leaders).

The 11-km course isn't a road race, it's a TT. You can't gain road race experience without a mass start.

I suspect they were able to get permission to close the roads by the skin of their teeth, and that the cutoff is in order to open the roads again ASAP.

Anyone going to the watch the final stage of the Tour of Japan in Tokyo this Sunday?

https://gicz.jp/open/tdk2018s

So, I was reading this page about a hilly road race in Fukushima, and it seems like there's a cutoff of only 10 minutes behind the leader at one point. Doesn't this seem unreasonably strict for a hilly course? I could probably made back 10 minutes over the course of a long descent against the average Japanese climber just because I weigh more.

The page also seems to hint that they only want "highly experienced" racers doing the 31-km course. This also seems unreasonable. Well, how are you supposed to get experience without doing it? OTOH, they don't seem to require a license, so I guess I could just lie....
Not quite sure I understand your comment about making back 10mins on the descent compared to a Japanese climber because you weigh more. Do you mean you'd be able to claw back a 10min gap on the descents?

Not quite sure I understand your comment about making back 10mins on the descent compared to a Japanese climber because you weigh more. Do you mean you'd be able to claw back a 10min gap on the descents?

If it was long enough. Of course, I don't know where the time cut is (I assume at the top of a climb) or exactly how long and steep the descents are.

If it was long enough. Of course, I don't know where the time cut is (I assume at the top of a climb) or exactly how long and steep the descents are.
Is this a windup? You do realise that weight has pretty much zero effect when descending, yeah? Experience and talent are what's needed. Those lightweight Japanese climbers will leave you for dead on the descents. Don't forget that what goes up, must come down, so they usually have a lot of experience descending. I don't know how experienced a descender you are but I would hazard a guess that the leaders would put a good one or two minutes into you on the downhills. Have you watched Roman Bardet or Nibali descending. Lightweight climbers, but boy can they fly down those mountains.

Last edited:
Well, more important than that, I would be WAY more than 10 minutes behind the leaders if the first cutoff is on the first climb.

Hmm, I guess there IS a mass-start road race on the shorter, flatter course.

I still think having a 10-minute cutoff is unreasonable. Apparently a lot of people were culled last year, which is why they created the 11 km-course. OTOH, given the price only changes 1000 yen, I would have appreciated a race longer than 11 km.... 30 minutes or an hour near the end of the race would be more reasonable.

Well, more important than that, I would be WAY more than 10 minutes behind the leaders if the first cutoff is on the first climb.

Hmm, I guess there IS a mass-start road race on the shorter, flatter course.

I still think having a 10-minute cutoff is unreasonable. Apparently a lot of people were culled last year, which is why they created the 11 km-course. OTOH, given the price only changes 1000 yen, I would have appreciated a race longer than 11 km.... 30 minutes or an hour near the end of the race would be more reasonable.
If you go full gas, 11km will feel like a very long way. Good luck in whichever race you enter.

If you go full gas, 11km will feel like a very long way. Good luck in whichever race you enter.

I missed the part of the page where it said the easy race is three laps of the 11 km course and the hard one is two laps of the 31 km course.... that makes a lot more sense.

On the other hand, in that case the 10-minute cutoff seems even less reasonable.

I think it's still a little crazy that they want people who do the shorter race to be experienced road racers. The amount of nit-picking they do about the hard race is a little absurd, too. Very, very anal retentive. I mean, I technically have some (very limited) experience, but still...

I missed the part of the page where it said the easy race is three laps of the 11 km course and the hard one is two laps of the 31 km course.... that makes a lot more sense.

On the other hand, in that case the 10-minute cutoff seems even less reasonable.

I think it's still a little crazy that they want people who do the shorter race to be experienced road racers. The amount of nit-picking they do about the hard race is a little absurd, too. Very, very anal retentive. I mean, I technically have some (very limited) experience, but still...

I don't think you have to worry! They are not saying you need to be experienced, just that you need to have some experience. So, if you have never entered a race before, it seems like they rather this is not your first one. But, if you have entered a race before, you are probably fine to enter either the Saturday or Sunday race on the 11 km course!

If you are wondering about the caliber of rider in this race, I am actually entering the team competition and our team leader wins hill climb races while also being the Japanese masters TT champion. The difference between him and mere mortals is quite surprising and a sight to behold.

I actually took seven minutes off a climb I had just recently set a personal best on, but this skinny Japanese guy (even by Japanese standards) flew past me and my friend like we were standing still.

Does the team race have the same cutoffs?

If I understand it right, the teams ride together with the individual entrants in the same race, so will have the same cutoff in the 31 km circuit race on Sunday.

Congrats on the PR! Those 55 kg pure climbers are certainly difficult to compete with when the gradient goes up.

http://www.jbcf.or.jp/jcs/

Does anyone know what this J Challenge Series is?... Hopes seems to be for elementary school age kids, but it's not entirely clear to me what the other races are for. Beginners, or possibly juniors?

Is there a way to compete in JBCF races without a team? I can't even seem to find a list of all the amateur teams and where they are located. I think the JBCF team nearest here shut down last year...

I actually took seven minutes off a climb I had just recently set a personal best on, but this skinny Japanese guy (even by Japanese standards) flew past me and my friend like we were standing still.

Does the team race have the same cutoffs?

Sure he was Japanese? I mean he could have been like, Chinese, Korean, Dutch, etc And did you assume his gender lmao??

Last edited:
Sure he was Japanese? I mean he could have been like, Chinese, Korean, Dutch, etc And did you assume his gender lmao??

1. No, but I have a very high level statistical confidence....

Seeing as how we never saw him again I assume he went all the way over the mountain.... what a juggernaut.

2. Well yeah the QOM time is only a few minutes ahead of me LOL

I got a free trial of TrainerRoad just to do the new ramp test. I scored a lot higher than I could manage in a 20-minute test (I tried to do one yesterday, but I noped out of it after 10 minutes because my numbers kept going down and down).

It was actually higher than the inflated number I was training with.... welp, I guess my workouts are about to get a lot harder.

Back
Top Bottom