What's new

Time traveler RIP

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
I'm kind of lost for words. I didn't know Kevin well but ride together a few times. He was a really nice guy.

He has left us early, and there will be a memorial ride organized by HFC and Tim Smith tomorrow on Arakawa. If anyone would like further details I can post them up.

Ride on in peace big fella...

Very sad news indeed. I only rode with him a few times but our paths would often cross on the Arakawa in the mornings. RIP Kevin.

Kevin is one of the few who has been at my house and met my family. He is also one of the guys I would have dropped everything to help.
I am beyond lost thinking about this. I am going to try and make the trip to tokyo tomorrow just to hear stories from others about his awesomeness and pay respects to a man I will truly miss.

@theBlob @bloaker please could one of you add the details of tomorrow's ride here when you have them. I might not be able to join but I'll try to get down there.

KEVIN JOHNSON RIP MEMORIAL PROBABLY RAINY REVERIE ARAKAWA RIDE

Our prematurely-departed compadre-in-lycra Kevin would frequently 'commute' the long way 'round along the Arakawa. In his memory, we'll do an Arakawa ride whatever the weather this Sunday.

Meet at 12.00 noon, around Sakuradamon Gate of the Imperial Palace (see map), to ride east along the canal park and then upstream on the river. We'll take a break at the Family Mart in Funado, and then decide what to do... reverse the route, head back into Tokyo on the roads, or something completely unpredictable.

Route map:
Leader: Tim Smith [email protected] 080-3503-0081 (Tim will be hauling one of Kevin's old wheels, for sacrifice to the river spirits at some point)

We will take a (voluntary) collection and/or encourage participants and/or anyone else to contribute to TELL, who provide vital face-to-face and telephone counseling to the foreign community in Tokyo. https://telljp.com

Same here, we were not too close but did ride together 5-6 times. Yesterday morning first thing I saw on my mobile (well, the alarm - so the 2nd) was his farewell message and later in the day the updates etc. It came as a blow out of a sudden for me, but from what he wrote it did not seem at all like a spur of the moment thing, more like a decision that has matured over a long long time. He gave his explanation, family history, loan and other issues, addressed each family member individually, his employer, detailed his will over inheritance etc. So yes, rest in peace, as there's far little of that in this hectic side we're left in @TimeTraveler.

Wanted to add also that I really wanted to go meet everyone but have a nasty health issue again from yesterday so bed-ridden for this weekend. Too bad...

Been thinking about this all day. Checked my Strava feed and saw he rode just a few days ago as normal. Still getting over the shock.

Only rode with him once on a Half-Fast ride, but he was an impressive guy. Seemed quiet and reserved but friendly and gentlemanly. He was obviously a strong rider and had a great bike setup but took the time to come over and compliment me on my old Panasonic. It was a kind gesture I haven't forgotten. I won't be going to the ride tomorrow but I'll be thinking of him.

I haven't met him in person and only knew him through his posts and posts related to him on TCC. But it seems he's an overall great guy liked and loved by many, and made me think of him and others a lot since I read this.
And as sad as the whole situation is, keeping him in our memories is the one best thing we can do.
I can't imagine that causing pain and sorrow to others was his intention. Therefore I wish everyone joining tomorrows ride a safe ride in good company in a respectful atmosphere due to the occasion.
Let's give joy, love, respect and a helping hand to others not only when it's needed, but whenever we can.

I can't comment and obviously shouldn't on the subject since there is nothing connecting me to Mr Timetraveller.

But the comments here as far as I can see have been full of respect and not in the least bit phoney or contrived, and for that Ive gained a better understanding of what this community is made up of.

Sorry to hear about the loss and well, I'll be the first one guilty of cliche but, sometimes these things happen for a reason.

Stay safe out there tomorrow and beyond.

wp_20160312_006-jpg.13509

Tokyo Enduro 2016. A pleasure to meet a truly nice guy.

Andy

https://www.facebook.com/biketrainingandracinginjapan/

I was lucky to have ridden with him often and to have sat on his back wheel down the Arakawa. He was strong man, had a huge heart and along with many others, I feel the loss deeply. Wish I could be there for the ride on Sunday; I will be riding with a heavy heart here in the U.K.

@bloaker will you be there? I'll be heading down the Arakawa and then hopefully joining up with you all at the point where you guys jump on the Arakawa. If you guys get there early then hopefully I'll spot you all as I'm riding south

I'm thinking of perhaps going down to the river on foot and just waving a goodbye to you guys. I have some stupid health issue and am in pains, so cannot ride, but still want to somehow participate. If I can drag myself outta bed, you'll see me somewhere between km marks 18 and 19 of the official Arakawa signage, not RWGPS route above. Hope to see you soon

Back
Top Bottom