What's new

Another annoying newbie

Alei I'd be happy to help you put the bike together, if you can work out a morning or a Sunday it would be easy for my schedule. Don't bother with trying to settle up with beers, my wife and I run a liquor shop :D Money is no good either. I have two teenaged daughters out there in the wide world taking their first steps at independence, they live in Canada and are going to high school, so we will just pay this one forward. My wife does enjoy good cakes and such :D :rolleyes: None for me though, I'm trying to avoid that stuff :eek: :D

Cheers!

Looks like we're hitting the reply button at the same time. See my response just before yours.

Ok. Will try and head back to Y's for a fitting sometime very soon! Thanks for that. Wish I'd known that when I went there today!
I still reckon that the 450mm is the way to go and that I'll most probably get the aforementioned bike but will hold off on the purchase. Some others may want to weigh in...

Alei I'd be happy to help you put the bike together, if you can work out a morning or a Sunday it would be easy for my schedule. Don't bother with trying to settle up with beers, my wife and I run a liquor shop :D Money is no good either. I have two teenaged daughters out there in the wide world taking their first steps at independence, they live in Canada and are going to high school, so we will just pay this one forward. My wife does enjoy good cakes and such :D :rolleyes: None for me though, I'm trying to avoid that stuff :eek: :D

Cheers!

Thanks! Super generous of you. May very well take you up on your offer once I actually have wheels! Thank you!!

I went to Y's at Shinjuku for a fitting. Thanks heaps for the tip!
Only 1000yen and they do all the basic measurements.
You get the 1000yen cashback if you buy a bike from them within the month.

So I've just ordered a bike online which I'm a tad nervous about. (http://www.qbei.jp/ great range and great prices.)
Hopefully will be delivered within a week... but not sure with Golden Week around the corner.
I decided on the Felt ZW75 (2011 model). Shimano 105 components. 10 speed and 11-28T cassette. And it will only set me back 8 Noguchi's. I think it was a pretty good deal.
And from what I could tell, I think they will courier it assembled and not in parts...I'm not sure if I trust my Japanese skills there. Seems too good to be true!!

I decided on the Felt ZW75 (2011 model). Shimano 105 components. 10 speed and 11-28T cassette. And it will only set me back 8 Noguchi's. I think it was a pretty good deal.

105 is a good quality and most people would not benefit from spending more.

However, I'm sure you mean 8 Fukuzawas ;)

105 is a good quality and most people would not benefit from spending more.

However, I'm sure you mean 8 Fukuzawas ;)

Haha. Yes, I did mean that. :eek:
I had Fukushima on the brain...hence was thinking Noguchi!

You get the 1000yen cashback if you biy a bike from them within the month.

So I've just ordered a bike online which I'm a tad nervous about. (http://www.qbei.jp/ great range and great prices.)
Hopefully will be delivered within a week... but not sure with Golden Week around the corner.
And from what I could tell, I think they will courier it assembled and not in parts...I'm not sure if I trust my Japanese skills there. Seems too good to be true!!

Congrats on making the plunge! I'm sure you won't look back!!
This looks like a very nice bike (not that I'm in any position of knowledge to comment on specs of course though :eek: ) and reasonably priced too, so hopefully it will be the investment you hoped for! :)

You get the 1000yen cashback if you buy a bike from them within the month.

Congrats!

If you need help fitting pedals, and some fo the basic other stuff, the offer still stands!

Cheers!

Bike finally arrived today!
Arrived in a massive box, fully assembled. (*sigh of relief*).
I bought pedals during the week and a wrench, and put the pedals on myself.
Didn't have the tools to adjust seat height, so I took it down to the closest bike store I know and they adjusted seat height and charged me 300yen for the privilege.
I need to buy one those of tools. Any idea what they're called?

Then I took it out for a spin.
Am happy to report I did not fall over! Not as bad as I thought it was going to be for my first time.
Slight discomfort which I think I will get used to and hopefully sort out with more practice. Noticed pain more on my left side - arm and back. But that's mostly due to a past snowboarding incident on my left elbow.
And will definitely need to invest in a pair of padded cycling pants. I didn't last more than an hour out on the bike in regular leggings.

How do I post a photo here? I was going to do a big photo unveiling but was foiled by my technical ineptitude. I clicked on the "insert image" icon but then it asks for a URL of where my image is. My image is on my computer (hard drive) rather than online.
Any ideas how to insert photos? If I can figure it out, I'll post up a photo.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've also been reading old threads etc to learn as much as possible. Will need to learn to change a flat tire and buy heaps more accessories. Cycling is an expensive hobby! - helmet, pedals, cyclocomputer, pump, tools etc etc.

Likely a hex key (alan wrench) for the seat post. Would recommend getting a set of them, they usually come with a few sizes in a little plastic holder. There are a couple sizes that will be most useful on the bike, probably just easier to get the set. Try to get one with a little "ball" on the end, this allows you to use the wrench without it having to be perfectly straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key

Bike finally arrived today!
Arrived in a massive box, fully assembled. (*sigh of relief*).
I bought pedals during the week and a wrench, and put the pedals on myself.
Didn't have the tools to adjust seat height, so I took it down to the closest bike store I know and they adjusted seat height and charged me 300yen for the privilege.
I need to buy one those of tools. Any idea what they're called?

Then I took it out for a spin.
Am happy to report I did not fall over! Not as bad as I thought it was going to be for my first time.
Slight discomfort which I think I will get used to and hopefully sort out with more practice. Noticed pain more on my left side - arm and back. But that's mostly due to a past snowboarding incident on my left elbow.
And will definitely need to invest in a pair of padded cycling pants. I didn't last more than an hour out on the bike in regular leggings.

How do I post a photo here? I was going to do a big photo unveiling but was foiled by my technical ineptitude. I clicked on the "insert image" icon but then it asks for a URL of where my image is. My image is on my computer (hard drive) rather than online.
Any ideas how to insert photos? If I can figure it out, I'll post up a photo.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've also been reading old threads etc to learn as much as possible. Will need to learn to change a flat tire and buy heaps more accessories. Cycling is an expensive hobby! - helmet, pedals, cyclocomputer, pump, tools etc etc.

Congrats Alei! Please do post a photo - under manage attachments did you not get all the "browse" buttons come up which let you search your harddrive to attach a pic?

Cycling is indeed a horrendously expensive hobby... when I first bought my bike I thought I could just make do with the bare essentials (lock, pump, lights and helmet), but I soon found myself lusting after other things which once I bought I wondered how I ever managed without them before. I recently took the plunge in investing in clipless pedals and a cycling computer, and both have massively increased my enjoyment in riding. :bike:

Likely a hex key (alan wrench) for the seat post. Would recommend getting a set of them, they usually come with a few sizes in a little plastic holder.

I have the Crank Brothers M10, which comes with 7 hex keys, phillips and flat screw driver and a torx key. I'm very happy with it.

Crank%20Brothers%20M10%20multi%20tool.jpg

How do I post a photo here?

Upload it to a photo hosting site like Photobucket.com, then click the picture post card icon and paste the URL or simply type the URL surrounded by these two tags:
Code:
[IMG]
Code:
[/IMG]

Note;

To anybody wishing to post photos, you can indeed use any of the free online ones, or hotlink from an image.

An alternative is for me to host the images for you, and give you a URL, if you don't wish to deal with the free online hosting. Any images you wish to host, please send to owen [AT] tokyocycle.com

Cheers!

Likely a hex key (alan wrench) for the seat post. Would recommend getting a set of them, they usually come with a few sizes in a little plastic holder. There are a couple sizes that will be most useful on the bike, probably just easier to get the set. Try to get one with a little "ball" on the end, this allows you to use the wrench without it having to be perfectly straight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key

Thanks!!! It's on my shopping list.

Congrats Alei! Please do post a photo - under manage attachments did you not get all the "browse" buttons come up which let you search your harddrive to attach a pic?
:

Thanks for your help. Managed to figure it out.

You can also add a JPEG as an attachment and it will be uploaded to the site. Then you open the post, open the attachment and get the URL of the image. Then you go back and edit your post to directly use the IMG tags embedded in your text with that attachment URL.

This trick saves you having to use a third party site as it hosts the image directly on tokyocycle.com. The drawback is that it uses disk space on this site's server.

attachment.php

Note;

To anybody wishing to post photos, you can indeed use any of the free online ones, or hotlink from an image.

An alternative is for me to host the images for you, and give you a URL, if you don't wish to deal with the free online hosting. Any images you wish to host, please send to owen [AT] tokyocycle.com

Cheers!

Just a quick question. I have a couple of online photo hosting accounts (picasa, flickr etc), but if I upload photos there and then link/embed here, I want to make sure that viewers here don't have access to view all my other photos. Is that the case?
Managed to figure out the attachment method thanks to Akage.

Back
Top Bottom