What's new

Best places to ride in Japan?

xDOMx

Maximum Pace
Nov 21, 2014
I have cycled in a number of places in Japan and certainly have my preferences/favourites. However, in the spirit of fairly 'general' questions or enquiries on the forum of late...

Where do people like? Why? What informs that preference?

I am talking more about locations suitable (broadly speaking) for road bikes / gravel grinders.

[Can amend this to be a poll once we have a number of suggestions]

I like circular routes around bodies of water or islands, myself.

Sado Island in Niigata is a great cycling destination.

Hmmm , good question. I can think of a few places that stand out for me. The Venus line around Yatsugatake is very nice. The Crystal line in Yamanashi is pretty spectacular but not the easiest access. Only done it twice but loved it both times. The Azami line up My.Fuji is also a good one although not for the scenery, but because it is the hardest climb I've done on a road bike.

Lately I realised my most enjoyable rides has been roads I never done before, no mater what area. Even after 3+ years in the saitama-chichibu area we still find new climbs and roads form time to time. Lately I definitely have more of an itch to try other areas/roads of Japan though... just the small issue of having time to do it...
Tagging along with @leicaman to Nagano and the Blue Monkey trips in Gunma has definitely been highlights for me.
Want to do more all day adventures, that's is where it's at!

Arakawa river rides though... I'm over that ;)

The coast from Aomori to Sendai although very up and down and usually a 2 or three day trip is spectacular and after 3/11 a great testament to nature's power. But like with anything it's who you are with and your frame of mind that matters most. kitayamazaki-dawn-brad-brizek.jpg

Basically anywhere out of the residential areas is nice in Japan. I find it hard to say this or that spot because it's all beautiful and the small roads that wind through it all always leave you with the sense that you are riding along the road less travelled. The small hamlets and magnificent views around each corner just make the country amazing for riding.

Yeah nice area but it is 13 kms through the gorge and then -------------------------------------------- flat down to the coast. Maybe cause I have ridden it so often I'm rather blase about it. The ride around Lake Towada about 50Km is worth a spin but the views are rather monotonous after a while.
250px-Lake_Towada_from_Ohanabe_2008.jpg
TowadakoShoreline.jpg

Nice thread. Thanks for starting it...

For me, lack of traffic combined with beautiful scenery, makes the ride. From the standpoint of avoiding heavily trafficked roads, is there anyplace that has an advantage? I've been eyeing a trip to Hokkaido or Sado Island because I am under the impression both are beautiful and both have relatively little traffic. Other places you all know of that have that combination.

Yeah, Oirase is nice, but short. I spend most my just in the local back roads around Aomori. But the roads around Mt. Iwaki near Hirosaki are great and so is the Japan Sea coast going down from Tappi (the northern tip of the Tsugaru Penninsula) to Akita. One place I've been wanting to ride is the area around Morioka, in Iwate.

Well, for you northerners, how about route 28 out of Hirosaki towards the sea of japan?

Well, for you northerners, how about route 28 out of Hirosaki towards the sea of japan?
I haven't ridden all of it yet. So far just out as far as the park where the trail for Anmon Taki is. I have driven it, but that was 12 or 13 years ago. At that point it was all gravel. So on either a MTB or a Graveur it would probably be a fun ride.

My favorite is Noto Peninsula. Awesome climbs next to the Ocean. Fresh seafood. Minimal traffic and you can ride your bike on the beach!

Second up is Shirahama and third is my home town in Ina! Never gets old even after six years. Fourth is Azumino. I have great memories attending club practice there with equippe Azumino. Then comes Venus line and cant forget Fuji lakes.

Then Norikura.

The coast from Aomori to Sendai although very up and down and usually a 2 or three day trip is spectacular and after 3/11 a great testament to nature's power. But like with anything it's who you are with and your frame of mind that matters most. View attachment 14206

Kitamiyazaki coast in Iwate right? Absolutely fantastic place, although when I went it was foggy and looked like something out of Resident Evil. Still beautiful though!

I want to cycle around Tokamachi, Niigata next summer - looks particularly lovely all the terraces,

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.145...4!1so06OVqGUCscRexdw4MH8bw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.129...4!1s_JsHOGFsg8LaIhxbiHGA9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.fr/maps/@37.1453...oEcEvMav0MqFG6GX5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The Jukai line looks a nice way in when coming in from Tochigi/Nikko as I would be, great views,

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.179...4!1sAOpyAhZ0RJZzu0y7G_Vfiw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Tochigi hills are all great cycling although lacking a bit in views for the most part.

Been in a car along the Ishinomaki peninsula and it's pretty awesome.

Takayama, Nagano has some nice views around it, and can be done on a road or gravel ascent - https://www.google.com/maps/@36.612...4!1s-TlITuB30Qmi5Q3yS8jgyw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 And there's routes in from Gunma that aren't forested too for more decent views.

The

Back
Top Bottom