What's new

Bike Storage/Save the TV/Make the kid a fort

bloaker

Sincerely A Dick
Nov 14, 2011
So I have been sketching out some ideas. I need more room in my house... I have a 60"tv I rarely use*(not turned on is over a year) and a kid who is starting to enjoy hiding and building...

The plan... build a platform 1.5m off the floor. 3m wide and about 1.5m deep. Get my mounting points right and place majority of my bikes up there. Put the TV under it. 2 birds... 1 stone.

Now With the bikes off the ground, the area is safe for a 3 year old to play. ... I will have a structure in the house that is mine. I can do what I want with it... So hooks for tarps to hide and build make-shift kid shelters, a shelf for books and movies. A shelf for an air mattress and a hook for a lantern.

I think this is the first stage.

Once that is done and I am convinced I am happy with it... assess the rest of the room and consider stage 2. If done right, stage two will get me a work space for my truing stand and tools while providing anchor points to build the tarp fort from bike rack.

All ideas, just in the sketching phase. Sadly, I need to run out and buy tool and wood to do the project... tool I already own and are at home in storage. :/

If anyone has some ideas they are willing to throw out, I am listening.

How big is the room? If possible longer than 1.5 will let you get your bikes up and out of the way. You can get a park tools workstand that will mount to such a structure. The more you can keep floor space free the better IMO. http://www.parktool.com/product/deluxe-wall-mount-repair-stand-prs-4w-1

If you have two such structures you can string hammocks up and go camping anytime of the year in any weather. Who knows he might even want to invite his mother into the man cave.

The room is a decent size. 3m x 4m maybe? Not so worried about a repair stand, I have a feedback sports stand that collapses up small and goes in the closet.

My kid is a little girl, so it will have to be the 'fun cave' vs 'man cave' - but I am ok with it. We know how to have fun!

21616355_10155620369232808_3040514167499136086_n.jpg

I might have one of the few little girls that plays dolls in a Batman costume or plays super heroes in a princess gown! She loves everything and wants to play! Even on her spiderman bike!

I have asked her what she wants if I build it... all she has asked for is a little door... So I have to work that out too. :)

So the wife seems to have bought off on my plan. If I can store more bikes, maybe I can get more bikes!!!
I had a friend over yesterday discussing ideas. He used to frame houses so I was sure he would chime in if I had a design issue regarding safety.
I am looking forward to having more usable space. Especially space my daughter and I can share.

@bloaker I have loads of power tools that you're more than welcome to use while I hold your beer and make 'helpful' suggestions and/or administer first aid.

Haha! Thanks!
I appreciate the confidence and love!
I was looking at the room again today and I am scrapping my original plan (I think).
I think I will run the entire back of the room - allowing more room for play & storage.
Amazingly it will also allow for more bicycle parking spots too....

I actually think going full width is best so I can actually make a "room" for my daughter's toys and for her to hang out. It won't be big, but it will be hers.

This plan is getting out of hand. A riding buddy used to frame houses... he is now giving his input. He also has a kid the same age, so he is also seeing my desire to give Emily her space...
I sold my TV that was in the bike room to clear up some space.
I mocked up the floor today and spaced the bikes out. I will have room for 8 bikes with tons of space between them or I could squeeze them together for 10... I am sticking with 8.
I have decided to hang the TV on the bike stand. Eliminating the TV stand buys me a ton of space, however I will need to build a shelf for my laptop.
I have also decided to flip my design... moving the side for my daughters room. This means my wife's mamachari can sit closer to the door and make it easier for her to get it in and out without my assistance.

I just need to draw out the plans one more time so I can get the correct amount of wood the first time.
Planning on picking up the wood from Homes unless someone has a better alternative.

So the rack/play area is taking shape. It isn't perfect by any means, but with minimal tool and building it solo... not bad.
It is solid and not going to fall. It is amazingly square (when building the frame solo - kinda hard to measure, hold and screw it all together.
I still need to work on the bike rack part, but after adding a few more touches than in the picture, my daughter has started moving in already.

26220289_10155915492282808_9175284009023914469_n.jpg

26219277_10155915492652808_3988657346564340518_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom